The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JP Barry "sedin's situation similar to alfredsson's"

Dakattack92

Sedin twins' agent compares their situation to Alfredsson's in Ottawa

The Vancouver Canucks and their twin leading scorers have yet to strike a grand bargain on a contract extension. The Sedin twins have spent their entire careers in Vancouver and will become unrestricted free-agents on July 1st, 2014.

On Monday night the Sedins put on a clinic in Vancouver's 3-2 victory over the Washington Capitals. Their agent J.P. Barry was in attendance, and spoke with Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province.

In addition to the Sedin twins, Barry also represents Detroit Red Wings winger Daniel Alfredsson. Barry - who was a central figure in the messy divorce between Alfredsson and the Ottawa Senators this past summer - explicitly compared the Sedin twins to his other aging, Swedish client:

"We’ve been through this all before with Alfie (Alfredsson) and their (Ottawa’s) concern about his age every time we did something. Conditioning counts for a lot at this age. They’re (the twins) loving it (the system) and they’ve always felt they should be playing more. They’re in great shape and will always be that way. They have never relied on speed that much but, if you look at Alfie, he has to a degree and he can still handle it."

Barry raises a valid point on their fitness and conditioning but it makes me wonder what's being asked cash wise now.

I agree with 7.5 million for the next 2-3 years.. it's just I don't know what I'd put in with the term/money because of their age. We don't know when their dropping point will be in terms of point production. Hard to tell when they'll drop to secondary scorers.

If the offer from Gillis right now is 7.5 million for the next 3 years, and then a drop off to like six million for the two years after that, that's a good offer from a team perspective.

The owner of the Senetors blames JP Barry for the departure of Alfredsson saying they were close to makeing a deal but in the end JP got Alfredsson more money and it turned out great for the Sens when they picked up Ryan.

As for the twins, there will be a home town discount but by how much. Everyone knows that the twins want to stay in Vancouver but can we afford to put all extra cap space towards the twins when we finnally have some young talent in the system. Term will be more of a factor than dollar figure in my opinion. We can get at least 5 more years out of the twins but not at a high cap hit, that will just hold this team hostage for the future.

Don't get me wrong, I love the twins, but this deal has to work for both sides.

I think it best for Gillis to wait. Usually by January, insiders reveals what the cap will look like next year. Therefore if the cap is expected to be 70M then with can afford a 1M raise for the twins. But if it stays close to 65M, then he might have to let them go.

I dont think Gillis waiting will hurt him. Ultimately if will end up close to 7-7.5 millions, the only issue would be if it's a 2-3yrs deal or 4-5-6. But gillis waiting wont bring the Sedins price to 8M+ IMO.

I agree with 7.5 million for the next 2-3 years.. it's just I don't know what I'd put in with the term/money because of their age. We don't know when their dropping point will be in terms of point production. Hard to tell when they'll drop to secondary scorers.

If the offer from Gillis right now is 7.5 million for the next 3 years, and then a drop off to like six million for the two years after that, that's a good offer from a team perspective.

I say screw it, they'll be great for years, pay em and let's keep playing great hockey!

The owner of the Senetors blames JP Barry for the departure of Alfredsson saying they were close to makeing a deal but in the end JP got Alfredsson more money and it turned out great for the Sens when they picked up Ryan.

As for the twins, there will be a home town discount but by how much. Everyone knows that the twins want to stay in Vancouver but can we afford to put all extra cap space towards the twins when we finnally have some young talent in the system. Term will be more of a factor than dollar figure in my opinion. We can get at least 5 more years out of the twins but not at a high cap hit, that will just hold this team hostage for the future.

Well Booth goes UFA this summer, and obviously we won't be resigning him, so there's the extra cash right there. I've also heard that the cap may go to 74mil, and if it does, we have a ton of room to work with. Could be very cool to see what MG can do, considering he made a point not to pick up any of the ridiculous contracts that were out there this summer..

Well Booth goes UFA this summer, and obviously we won't be resigning him, so there's the extra cash right there. I've also heard that the cap may go to 74mil, and if it does, we have a ton of room to work with. Could be very cool to see what MG can do, considering he made a point not to pick up any of the ridiculous contracts that were out there this summer..

Booth has another year left, although I bet we buy him out unless he turns things around in a hurry.

4 years, $25M each would be great.

Vancouver can't afford not to, they need the twins and their leadership, the way they carry themselves to set an example for the youth coming up through the system. You cannot replace the twins and I am sure no matter how much praise they get they are still being taken for granted by too many.

If the Canucks have cap concerns while trying to bring youth onto the team it's going to be the players with contracts far exceeding their production and worth that are removed, not the core players in the Sedins.

The Sedins are worth 7m +, they are essentially worth what they demand, fortunately for Vancouver the may just work out a deal less than market value.

Not sure if JP wanted to use Alfredsson as an example, because he clearly peaked at where the Sedins are at now, age-wise.

Do the Canucks want to pay $7.5mil each long-term for 70pts, 60pts, 50pts, 45pts, declining goals and rising injuries?

But like i said, if we lose these guys to wherever, then i want us to TAAAANK next season for a McDavid lottery pick. That would be a plan.

Henrik Sedin is 3rd in scoring, Daniel in 11th, and they woke up Kesler.

MG is a friggen idiot.

These two players have done as much for this franchise and city as Linden did and they have taken discounts their entire careers to play together and there. There is a point where LOYALTY get's repaid and its time this friggen franchise did what's right. This is not a Lou situation at all.

5 Years 31 mil cap hit 6.2

Yr 1: 7.5

Yr 2 :7.5

Yr 3: 7

Yr4: 5

Yr5; 4.5

If Gills screws this up its beyond belief. He was willing to pay Sundin 10 ml at 39 but not these guys? there is a point where you have to say Gillis WTF?

Archived