The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm upset... (Political Correctness run amok)

hockeyfan87

I don't really post here much but I want to vent about something that occurred recently in my professional experience and why it bothers me.

Now if people do not already know there are many private group homes, which are subsidized by the provincial government, for people with mental illnesses, brain injuries, etc. Essentially for people who are unable to function completely on their own but also do not need to be institutionalized.

I don't work directly for any of these group homes but I come into contact with several of them regularly and am generally familiar with the staff/occupants and some of the day to day occurrences.

Recently there was a situation in where one of the part time staff at one of these facilities complained about a personal possession of one of the occupants. The personal possession in question was a painting depicting some Sikh figure, forgive my ignorance, and was I thought fairly innocuous.

The person who complained is a part-time healthcare worker, works there eight hours a week, and is also a devout Muslim. She told the owner of the care home that the painting was offensive to her and asked that it be removed. Despite the fact that it's the personal property of an occupant the owner complied fearing and legal repercussions should he not act.

The man who the picture belonged to is in his mid to late 60s. He probably has an IQ of around 55-65 after suffering severe brain damage in a car accident earlier in life. He's in no position to articulate his position or make his feelings clear. He cried when the owner told him that he couldn't have the picture back, I was there for that part.

This might sound like a very trivial story and perhaps it is. Nevertheless it struck a significant nerve for me. What type of society do we live in when the demands of the vocal automatically outstrip the comforts of the vulnerable?

The idea about Canada being a proud multicultural country is a bunch of crap. Multiculturalism suggests some level of tolerance and acceptance of other religions and cultures but how many stories like the one I've shared gone on every day without anyone lifting a damn finger?

It's not her home, if she doesn't like it, don't work there.

You say she's a devout Muslim - does she wear a head scarf while working?

If yes, then that's a double standard - if she's allowed to do that, then she shouldn't be complaining about what other people have.

It's not her home, if she doesn't like it, don't work there.

You say she's a devout Muslim - does she wear a head scarf while working?

If yes, then that's a double standard - if she's allowed to do that, then she shouldn't be complaining about what other people have.

Yes she does and not that it matters but I was told by another staff member that she uses the staff room to pray. Tolerance is a two way street. I just found this particularly aggravating because the guy whose painting it was is essentially powerless. Not included in the decision whatsoever.

Very well written, hockeyfan87.

Why was the painting offensive? The best answer I could find is this:

http://www.diffen.co...slam_vs_Sikhism

Islam: Muslims are not permitted to depict the image of God nor any prophet.

Sikhism: Not allowed as considered Idolatry. Pictures of the Sikh Gurus are considered Idolatry and are not accepted from a religious perspective. Gurus maybe praised because they are equivalent to God.

Still, this doesn't seem to be any business of the staff member's, it's a personal item belonging to the resident that has meaning for them, even if it's just aesthetically. Some religions find atheism abhorrent, should the staff member have found it offensive if the resident owned a copy of "On the Origin of Species" or any book by Dawkins that they proudly displayed on a book shelf?

"I find this offensive based on my religion" is something that gets on my nerves. If you find it offensive, that's YOUR problem, not anyone else's.

The owner of the group home is weak. You have to stand up to this stuff rather than fearing the outcome. Most people just cry wolf because they know that the general public will cave. Upsetting one person to appease another doesn't solve the problem. On top of that, some people really need to learn tolerance and respect; clearly this part-time worker lacks both.

I used to volunteer and also worked with the handicapped/retarded/special needs/developementaly disabled( hope that covers most of the labels that have been used in the last 10 years.) In 1 group home we had a problem when a new from the college course person got upset that the guys were watching an adult appropriate action adventure. Shut that one down by pointing out they were all over 19.

No need to drag her beliefs into it. It's wrong regardless of what she wears

I think the reasoning behind bringing it up is valid though. It's to demonstrate the idea that she has been afforded the right to her beliefs here and it is inappropriate for her to then try to deny others that very same freedom. One doesn't overrule the other. Those very same privileges that say "this is ok" apply to everyone, not just her. So she must accept that, despite being offended. She has basically entered someone's home....she gets paid to be there and it isn't up to her to do anything except perform her job. Shouldn't be snooping around anyhow?

This sense of entitlement really irks me...if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for everyone else too.

No need to drag her beliefs into it. It's wrong regardless of what she wears

I think the reasoning behind bringing it up is valid though. It's to demonstrate the idea that she has been afforded the right to her beliefs here and it is inappropriate for her to then try to deny others that very same freedom. One doesn't overrule the other. Those very same privileges that say "this is ok" apply to everyone, not just her. So she must accept that, despite being offended. She has basically entered someone's home....she gets paid to be there and it isn't up to her to do anything except perform her job. Shouldn't be snooping around anyhow?

This sense of entitlement really irks me...if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for everyone else too.

Pretty much agree with Deb here. You can't not bring up her beliefs when the very rights that protect her beliefs should also be protecting the other fellows. That said, it doesn't matter that her beliefs are specifically Muslim. It could be anything but the fact that she has beliefs and practices them there DOES matter.

Doesn't surprise me to see religion and hypocrisy tied together yet again though. And it always seems to happen when people don't keep their personal beliefs, personal.

What gonna happen when Santa Clause starts showing his face?

"Please remove that jolly old man, as the image of him threatens my beliefs."

We've become a weak society, scared of standing up for our own individual rights, and instead let the squeaky wheels of society run the show.

Just tell all the males there that this part-time worker really enjoys being slapped on the butt.

She may have legal grounds to have the painting removed, but the mentally handicapped have the legal right to get away with things such as inappropriate touching. If this is the game she wants to play (pushing her rights as far as she can, and stepping on others in the process) then by all means, play her game.

Why are paintings of Sikhs offensive?

Maybe this was a historical image of a time and place that the patient was personally connected to?

Even if it wasn't, could a caucasian have a buddha if they are not practising? Or a Native a photo of the Emperor of Japan?

The argument from the worker to have the image removed is the story here. Without it it's hard to understand.

Archived