The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jaromir Jagr breaks Phil Esposito's record for most game-winners

He just keeps on going:

Jaromir Jagr is stil pretty good at this hockey thing after all these years.

In the New Jersey Devils' 2-1 win over the Lightning on Tuesday night, it was Jagr's goal that set up the win. It was unassisted too, Jagr doing the work from start to finish by stealing the puck from Martin St. Louis at the blue line, going the other way on a breakaway and beating Ben Bishop by roofing it from in close.

The goal wasn't just the 684th of Jagr's illustrious career but it was also the 119 career game-winning goal. Yes, that's indeed a lot, the most in fact. Jagr passed Phil Esposito for the most game-winners of all time. Any time you can surpass Esposito in something it's a good night.

In typical Jagr fashion, he had a thought about breaking Espo's mark after the game (via Tom Gulitti).

"I was watching him in 1972," Jagr said. "I wasn't watching it live because I was just born, but I was watching the tapes and he was the man back then."

Indeed, he was. But at least when it comes to scoring in the clutch, Jagr is the man now. The man who kept the great quotes coming.

Jagr on what he was thinking when he went in on the breakaway tonight: "Don't get injured."

Watch out NHL. Jagr: "I feel like this year the cockiness is coming back a little bit."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24157283/video-jaromir-jagr-breaks-phil-espositos-record-for-most-gamewinners

I always imagine where Mario would have been if Mario wasn't sick or injured in his prime... At the very least 2nd in all-time points.

He'd be first. He was the most dominant player of all time even with all his health problems and subpar linemates for the first few years of his career.

He'd be first. He was the most dominant player of all time even with all his health problems and subpar linemates for the first few years of his career.

yeah I'd have to agree...even in his comeback at 40 years old he put up 70+ points in 40 games....the scary thing is no one ever saw a healthy Mario in his prime...so it's hard to judge just how great he truly would have been.

He didn't break the record. Howe still has it:

NEWARK, N.J. - Jaromir Jagr moved within two goals of tying Gordie Howe for the NHL's lead in game-winning goals, scoring on a second-period breakaway to give the New Jersey Devils a 2-1 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday night.

The 684th goal of Jagr's 20-year NHL career, gave him 119 game-winners — the most by any player since 1967-68 — and put him one ahead of Hall of Famer Phil Esposito. Howe has 121.

Adam Henrique also scored and Martin Brodeur made 16 saves as the Devils won consecutive games for the first time this season and ended Tampa Bay's three-game winning streak.

Steven Stamkos, who had three goals and four assists last week, scored a power-play goal for Tampa Bay, which had won 5 of 6 in posting the best record in the Eastern Conference.

Often wondered how well he would have played, IF we'd drafted him instead of Nedved(deadhead).

Imagine Bure, Jags & Linden to build lines around?!...(or, might these strongly individual personalities have clashed?)

IMO ... we probably would have silenced all of the "still can't win a Cup" critics a long time ago. If we had Jagr and Bure back in the day, with Linden and more, we probably would have won a couple of Cups.

But that's "what if" reality, so who knows.

IMO ... we probably would have silenced all of the "still can't win a Cup" critics a long time ago. If we had Jagr and Bure back in the day, with Linden and more, we probably would have won a couple of Cups.

But that's "what if" reality, so who knows.

And if we managed to keep Igor Larionov? Eeek!

Archived