The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My prediction of the Canucks playoff seeding.

vcrguy

I think its pretty clear we can't complete with SJ and Anaheim.

I'd also say Chicago, STL and (suprisingly) Colorado will likely beat us on the other side.

So that puts us no better than 6th in the standings and we'd play the 3 seed.

If we assume the seeding is as follows:

San Jose

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

STL

Vancouver

Phoenix

LA

That would put us against Anaheim in the first round.................I think we could win 1 game against them, but that would make us 2 - 12 over the last 3 playoff rounds.................................. :sadno:

I'd also say Chicago, STL and (suprisingly) Colorado will likely beat us on the other side.

San Jose

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

STL

Vancouver

Phoenix

LA

That would put us against Anaheim in the first round.................I think we could win 1 game against them, but that would make us 2 - 12 over the last 3 playoff rounds.................................. :sadno:

So negative the canucks are just learning the system they will be playing 10 times better come playoff time. The canucks can go deep if there 100% healthy and one there game,with some luck and the key player are contributing offensively (Sedins,Kesler,Burrows Higgins Hansen Santorelli Richardson Edler Garrison Beiksa Hamhius) But like they saw a good defence is the best offence or something like that

San Jose

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

STL

Vancouver

Phoenix

LA

I think it's pretty clear that we're 14 games in to the season.

I'd also say that by the time 68 more games are played, any and most of your "predictions" could be thrown out the window. Passing off personal opinion as fact, as you have done when stating "it's pretty clear" we can't compete with team X and Y, also does not justify such claims.

First round of the playoffs in our division if 4 teams make it 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.

That would mean we can only play 1 of Anaheim, LA, or San Jose, if we are included with them in the top 4. Best case scenario for us is to finish 1st or 2nd with San Jose being first or second. That means we would play Anaheim or LA, or a cross over team from the other division, or Phoenix if they muster up a playoff spot and boot LA or something.

new playoff format keeps first round match ups within their divisions with the exception of the 5th place cross over.

Edit I'm wrong...

Matchup breakdown:

• The division leader in each conference with the most points plays the wild card team with the fewest points (regardless of division).
  • The division leader with the second highest amount of points plays the wild card team with the most points

3 & 4 – the second and third seeds in each division face one another in the first round.

This is what the first round would’ve looked like had realignment happened a year earlier:

Eastern Conference

• Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa
  • Montreal vs. Detroit
  • Washington vs. NY Rangers
  • Boston vs. Toronto

Western Conference

• Chicago vs. Winnipeg
  • Anaheim v. San Jose
  • St. Louis vs. Minnesota
  • Vancouver vs. Los Angeles

So that’s what the 2013 playoffs would have started out like had realignment occurred a year earlier, and those teams managed to keep the same records despite facing new divisional opponents.

San Jose

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

STL

Vancouver

Phoenix

LA

This thread stole precious moments from life through it's useless banality and pointless negativity. Go away, vcr guy.

NYI, STL, NJ?

Yes, in fact STL twice, and that's not to mention Calgary and Washington both being in top six of their division. Not sure why OP wanted to know that though.

Edit - I see now that was meant to be top 6 of conference, which would make a bit more sense. There you get into more issues though, like while STL is not technically in the top 6 for points overall in their conference, they have only played 10 games, and they are in the top 3 of their division, meaning an automatic playoff spot, if I remember correctly... but that does seem to be reading a bit much into early season stats. I thought they deserved the win against PIT too, and rightly VAN has more points overall than either team so far.

Also not to mention that such early season comparisons invite silly questions like how would beating Montreal be more meaningful than STL who has the same points in 3 less games, or would beating Carolina somehow mean more than NYI who are tied in points and games so far?

Yup, probably still a bit early for this nonsense.

If we are 6th, we are out of the playoffs. The playoff seeds are divisional now.

My prediction is that the Canucks will come in 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific while the Ducks come in 3rd or 2nd, leading to a first round match-up. San Jose will take 1st place and get to play the wild card team, and that could be almost anyone.

If we are 6th, we are out of the playoffs. The playoff seeds are divisional now.

My prediction is that the Canucks will come in 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific while the Ducks come in 3rd or 2nd, leading to a first round match-up. San Jose will take 1st place and get to play the wild card team, and that could be almost anyone.

Sixth in conference would almost certainly mean being in the playoffs. A crazy exception I could see would be where a very weak division takes 3 spots, leaving 5 for the strong division. Imagine the 6th team in the strong division having a better record than 3rd place in the weak division but missing out on the playoffs for lack of spots. The scenario mentioned by OP was not so wild as that though.

Edit: closest I could find to a current example would be if say the Eastern Metro division was in the same conference as the Western Pacific, say we call it the Metrosexual conference, and NYI currently squeeks into the playoffs at 3rd place in their division with 11 points ahead of Calgary even though their record is better at 12 points with one less game played.

Must stop analyzing...feeling dizz...

Archived