The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Oiler Effect

Spotted Zebra

So I'm pretty sure most of you have already realized this but I thought it was pretty cool to observe things once the dust settled.

So if you don't remember who Justin Schultz is.. BC boy who came out of Univeristy last year, anyways to make a long story short it came down to Vancouver and Edmonton for his Services and it took a last minute pitch from Gretzky to convince the kid to sign with the oil

Fast forward one year and the name Dallas Eakins pops up. Who 95% of Canuck fans had pencilled in as the new head coach, then one skype firing later and the Oilers have again swooped up a potential canucks prize.

At the time of both events it seemed like the canucks lost out, but...

Not getting Schultz allowed Gillis to go and aggressively sign Jason Garrison who has become one of our best d men since the halfway point of last year. On the flip side Schultz is putting up points but is only slightly ahead of Yakupov in terms of defensive capability.

And it looks like the saviour Eakins isn't doing much against the Oil. He put Sam Gagner out there against the leafs top line yesterday and ended up minus 4 against the kessel line. Meanwhile we've got a coach. Here who has led us to our best October since god knows when.

Sorry for the ramble just found this interesting

I remember when one of the TSN analysts had Schultz penciled in for team Canada. :lol:

He's putting up points, but who wouldn't playing with that forward group? It's not translating to wins, and that's the bottom line.

Things happen for a reason though. We'll see how it goes in the long run.

I think Eakins is more over rated than Schultz but that Oiler team is so young and Dynamic they need a veteran coach with a championship...

Young, smallish, injury-prone, disgruntled, etc. They don't need a veteran coach, they need a miracle.

I think Eakins is more over rated than Schultz but that Oiler team is so young and Dynamic they need a veteran coach with a championship...

Schultz made a bad career choice, if he would have been surrounded by a NHL caliber defence and worked his way up in minutes on a solid team with a winning culture he would be Leaps ahead.

The habit losing and playing wreckless has now stained him.

So you. Think Schultz is better than Garrison?

i think schultz is different than garrison.

garrison brings something the canucks already have (edler's shot + near-hamhuis defensive play). schultz would provide an element they lack (puck rushing, puck movement, puck skills, creativity, speed).

Archived