The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Value of Anthony Mantha

Since last year I began following the prospects for the 2013 draft. Anthony Mantha was drafted by Detroit 20th overall. He is currently leading the CHL in goals and points. He is 6'4, 205 lbs and seems to have more than just a noise for the net.

My question is: what do you believe is his value? And what do you believe we would have to trade to pry him away for Detroit?

This is my first post so be kind.

I have provided his stats below

http://www.foreurs.qc.ca/roster/show/id/7610 http://www.chl.ca/

A lot. Doubt the wings trade him since they just drafted him.

...I was all over Mantha and suggested the Canucks draft him 24th overall but those damn Wings took him a few picks before...he is a beast forward but luckily we got Shinkaruk.

Only way I see him coming to Vancity is if we offered Detroit Edler. Other than that, nothing would be able to get him out.

If Edler agreed to wave his NTC (which he just signed) to go to Detroit would you make the trade? I realize Detroit doesn’t have cap space for Elder so we would have to take some back, but would you made the trade?

Maybe: Edler + 2014 2nd for Mantha, Brendan Smith and Samuelsson (cap dump)?

The way he's playing...probably the same as if you wanted to trade for McKinnon and maybe more than Drouin, Jones and Barkov.

that kid will rip it up next year with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg. Probably going to be the exception in Detroit and not go in the AHL.

I'd like Barkov if we didn't have BoHo, just sayin'.

But pretty much like everyone said Detroit doesn't move him and the Canucks don't have the pieces to acquire him that Gillis would be willing to move. We are still a contending team so moving Ed for him assuming he waived his no trade would be a bad idea. Unless we could quickly pick up a top 4 defender for picks and maybe Jensen or something. And considering Detroit is on a down swing, they're not moving arguably their top prospect.

OK before everyone gets all gun ho on throwing the entire future of the team away for this guy.

He's a big kid in junior, in the high scoring QMJHL, there was considerable doubts about his work ethic and passion.

He's done nothing outside of junior let alone on the international stage.

A 1st and a 2nd round pick should suffice. More logical being a 1st C prospect and us eating Sammuelsson or Tootoo's contract so they can have wiggle room and bring up Nyquist.

We gotta stop doing this over prospects who have literally done nothing worth speaking over.

OK before everyone gets all gun ho on throwing the entire future of the team away for this guy.

He's a big kid in junior, in the high scoring QMJHL, there was considerable doubts about his work ethic and passion.

He's done nothing outside of junior let alone on the international stage.

A 1st and a 2nd round pick should suffice. More logical being a 1st C prospect and us eating Sammuelsson or Tootoo's contract so they can have wiggle room and bring up Nyquist.

We gotta stop doing this over prospects who have literally done nothing worth speaking over.

He was the lone 50G scorer in the "high scoring" Q before his draft year. He's on pace for 60-70 goals and is at 2.6PPG (even if it will go down, he should still be above 2PPG) .

High scoring Q is a myth, or at least not true anyone. True in the 70-80s and maybe 90s. Look at the average GPG per team from each league it's similar. WHL had more 100pts players last year, for a league that is suppose to be more defensive.

For his international experience, lets just say Cody Hodgson was pictures as future Team Canada's captain before playing 1 game in the NHL, doesn't make him better or worse because he has/hasn't international experience.

He was the lone 50G scorer in the "high scoring" Q before his draft year. He's on pace for 60-70 goals and is at 2.6PPG (even if it will go down, he should still be above 2PPG) .

High scoring Q is a myth, or at least not true anyone. True in the 70-80s and maybe 90s. Look at the average GPG per team from each league it's similar. WHL had more 100pts players last year, for a league that is suppose to be more defensive.

For his international experience, lets just say Cody Hodgson was pictures as future Team Canada's captain before playing 1 game in the NHL, doesn't make him better or worse because he has/hasn't international experience.

It does not detract from the fact that the Q still doesn't have much in the way of defensive systems as opposed to the OHL or even the tight WHL.

It also doesn't take away from the fact that his biggest knock was his work ethic. Shinkaruk's was his size, but he potted 49 goals or so in the WHL and that is impressive and he can still grow, it is hard to break lazy though.

And again, it doesn't take away from the fact that he's still just a raw prospect and as such is worth very little and certainly not the 1st 2nd and top prospects or whatever some are proposing.

I think we could get mantha their first round pick and a money contract for edler.

As defensemen usually get more via trade I think we could do a lot better, again Buffalo set the bar for a rental. What about a top 2 D under decent contract for many years?

We could do better, Mantha Nyquist and a first if we ate Tootoo or Smauelsson

Archived