The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

instigator rule is terrible; causes more dirty hits.

apollo

Ok so this is my problem with the instigator rule...

Tonight Ashton (leafs)crushed Smith(cgy) and it was called a minor. Major dirty move boarding him.

Now the right thing to do was for someone to drop the gloves and beat the heck out of him. Shane OBrien(cgy) did and handed Ashton a bloody face. Justice served for making a dirty hit. BUT THEN HE GETS TWO MINUTES FOR INSTIGATING?!?! The instigator rule is terrible. If anything the reason we have more dirty hits which cause injuries in the NHL is because of the instigator rule.

Players know they are protected by this terrible rule and become more reckless because they aren't guaranteed an ass wooping.

Take the instigator rule out. YOU SHOULD NOT GET A PENALTY FOR STARTING A FIGHT WITH A GUY WHO JUST CHEAP SHOTTED YOUR TEAM MATE. Also, im not being biased at all - the canucks didn't play in this game, I just watched because it was a good matchup. So you cant say "ur angry cuz nux lost"

Pst sestito had a solid game I thought!

If anything the reason we have more dirty hits which cause injuries in the NHL is because of the instigator rule.

Personally, I feel we have more dirty hits due to a lack of respect amongst players these days.

While I agree that the instigator rule is a poor rule, I don't think you would see the changes you expect if it was to go away.

I agree with you, the instigator rule is ridiculous. The officials make these calls out of context. In some cases, the first penalty with the boarding, etc. isn't even called. It just gives the Patrick Kaletas & Max Lapierre's of this world more reason to act obnoxiously & make these dirty plays.

Hmmm I didn't know if most people would agree or not.

I don't know that anyone really likes the instigator rule overall, but it certainly didn't protect Ashton from SOB. It's kind of a bad example for how players think they can take liberties.

Hmmm if I'm Ashton about to lay that dirty hit im thinking

" I'll get a minor... and if someone comes after me to mess me up, then the penalty will even out because of the instigator. So I can make that dirty hit, hurt the player and not even have my team go Shorthanded"

This IMO encourages cheap shots.

The hockey gods evened it out this time as the flames instantly scored on the 4 on 4. That isn't what usually happens though.

I agree with you to a point. I think the instigator has its place when someone goes after a guy who delivers a clean bodycheck. Ideally, it should be up to the officials. Unfortunately, the league's refs are so terrible they can't be trusted to make judgement calls.

Exactly... it should be a judgement call.

Like when Scott went after Kessel yes that deserves 2minute instigator... but when its payback from a dirty hit that should not be a penalty. This is a mans game.

Hmmm if I'm Ashton about to lay that dirty hit im thinking

" I'll get a minor... and if someone comes after me to mess me up, then the penalty will even out because of the instigator. So I can make that dirty hit, hurt the player and not even have my team go Shorthanded"

I seriously doubt he's putting that much thought into it.

He's probably thinking something more along the lines of "I'm going to smoke this bastard into the third row".

I seriously doubt he's putting that much thought into it.

He's probably thinking something more along the lines of "I'm going to smoke this bastard into the third row".

That's probably what he thought at the moment. But the point is the instigator rule is protecting Ashton or any other cheap shot artist.

That's probably what he thought at the moment. But the point is the instigator rule is protecting Ashton or any other cheap shot artist.

I not arguing that part. I just don't think that getting rid of the instigator rule will reduce cheap shots. Guys that hit that way will still be guys that hit that way.

I think that it will take a commitment on the part of the players as a whole to not hit that way. I think it will come as a result of a shift in the mindset of the players. Maybe all these concussions will be the spark that changes the mindset, maybe it will take someone dying as the result of a hit. Either way, I don't think just removing the instigator rule will do it.

Archived