The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mobile Protection: Wallet vs Case

aGENT

What makes the best mobile/cell phone case?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got a new phone and I want to get a case for it to help protect it (and possibly increase it's functionality).

I've been rocking the soft/silicone case on my previous phone but I'm considering switching to a "wallet" style as I feel it will protect the screen further and can add functionality doubling as a stand.

What do you guys prefer?

Wallet:

71Bw-EaNzkL._AA1500_.jpg

Soft (silicone) case:

71Lq0MbG68L._AA1500_.jpg

Hard Case:

71FZ%2Bv6xkRL._AA1500_.jpg

I've had a rubberized case for my phone. The rubber forms a lip over the edge, so when it falls it doesn't damage the screen. I've dropped it several times and no damage at all.

Yeah I've had a rubber/silicone one for the last three years.

Pro's: Seems to have protected the case/screen well enough (though I can see dropping it face down on say rocks it wouldn't do much). Only moderate bulk/minimal fuss when talking. Non slip when placed on surfaces.

Cons: I hate how the rubber "sticks" in my pocket. Doesn't add functionality like a "stand" or ability to hold ID, credit cards, cash etc. Minimal actual screen protection.

Whereas a wallet style would add the funcionality of stand/carrying cards/cash etc and arguably protect the screen better... I'm worried about additional bulk (in pocket) and awkwardness of the case when trying to hold the phone to your head etc.

I have both, one leather flip case for extra screen protection when I have it in my rugby bag or something similar and a TPU case for day to day. I also picked up a slim, hard case for cheap because it's got the Canadian flag on it and I love to rep red and white for Canada Day.

I paid a little more for the flip case since I needed one right when I got my phone and there were very few choices in store at the time. If I didn't like the design I might have held off but I do like it and use it. I went later on eBay and picked up the other two (plenty of online choices) and they were super cheap, like the two cases and a pack of 6 screen protectors for under $10 cheap.

Use a screen protector in either case to keep that nice and scratch free. Only use the basic hard cases when you aren't worried at all about dropping it, and even then a TPU case won't be much bigger but will protect against drops better. A flip case will offer a lot of protection, but may have open areas (sides or top/bottom depending on where it flips) and a combo case will offer best protection but can be bulky and doesn't cover the screen significantly more than a TPU case.

You can find stuff at the flea markets. They usually have a bunch of cases available at the Vancouver one, and if the phone you've bought is a popular model you can usually find any number of cases at stores and kiosks. Otherwise online always has greater selection than what you'll find locally. I don't know if there's a specific store I'd suggest though.

Think I'm going to go with this one:

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/B00FLMZ9IU

51As1zzBTiL._SY300_.jpg418qSkaNrSL._SY300_.jpg

41hDEag7veL._SY300_.jpg41u3bU0jb3L._SY300_.jpg

I voted OTHER.

I use an OtterBox Defender, which is a hard case wrapped in a soft case.

I just went hiking and fell on a rock and hit the screen. No damage at all to my beloved Galaxy S4.

Otter Box all the way.

You're crazy if you don't get an Otterbox. That leather case doesn't look like it will protect your phone at all - and when buying a case, that should be goal # 1.

My galaxy S3 has been through hell and back and the phone itself is brand new thanks to my Otterbox case.

The only issue I had with it - was the soft case stretched a bit, but that was easy to fix by throwing it in some boiling water.(The case, not the phone ;) )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Otterbox-impact-series-for-sony-Ericssion-Xperia-x10-/271188069834?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item3f24118dca

Some people don't want the bulk. Flip cases are bulky themselves, but offer the option of the wallet and actually cover the screen. Sure, you get a screen protector and the edges are raised to protect the screen in case of drops, but you still get scratches (on the protector) and it's not as much protection for the screen in particular as with something solid like a flip case.

That looks like a nice case, my only problem with leather (or lookalike) cases is the card flap (gets annoying and kinda useless since I just put everything in my wallet).

I don't carry a wallet. I use a money clip. Getting a wallet case will allow me to keep my ID etc in it rather than a money clip. I'm essentially exchanging a bit of extra phone bulk for not having to carry the money clip. While gaining the additional functionality of a stand.

You're crazy if you don't get an Otterbox. That leather case doesn't look like it will protect your phone at all - and when buying a case, that should be goal # 1.

My galaxy S3 has been through hell and back and the phone itself is brand new thanks to my Otterbox case.

The only issue I had with it - was the soft case stretched a bit, but that was easy to fix by throwing it in some boiling water.(The case, not the phone ;) )

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f24118dca

That'd be hard to do because, as I mentioned earlier, Otterbox doesn't make cases for Xperia phones.

Also, IMO, the wallet should, if anything, protect the screen more than a silicone or hard case with practically no protection. I don't see how it would be much worse at protecting the rest of the phone either.

I dont get it. Got a gel skin for my S4. What else do you need? I can see it if you use your phone while working on site/trades but in general whats the point? The wallet seems way overkill. DO you really what to be holding that big thing up to your ear? Yeah, technically it works but zero points for style.

Only thing id consider beyond a standard gel is an Otterbox. They cost but you gotta pay to not suck. They dont list any for Xperia on otterboxs site but they do on Ebay. Probably made for a different model but will work for the Sony. The prices on Ebay beat Otterboxes site by a large margin anyways. Possibility of fakes but whatareyagonnado.

That'd be hard to do because, as I mentioned earlier, Otterbox doesn't make cases for Xperia phones.

Also, IMO, the wallet should, if anything, protect the screen more than a silicone or hard case with practically no protection. I don't see how it would be much worse at protecting the rest of the phone either.

My iPhone has an Otterbox case, it's hard plastic inside, rubber jacket type thing on the outside and a screen protector too. It sucks they don't make cases for your phone because honestly, they're the best, seriously, the crap my phone has been through, if it wasn't for the Otterbox it would have been shattered into dust years ago. :P I have dropped it on hard cement, off of a second story balcony (albeit it landed in relatively soft gravel), hell, I've played a bit of deck hockey with it! :lol: And it doesn't even have a crack in the screen.

There we go! This is exactly it:

otterbox_defender_series_for_iphone_4_1-copy-523x500.jpg

Again, I know this doesn't help you much but if you ever decide to buy an iPhone in the future... ::D

Archived