The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sustainability issue?

Slegr

John Tortorella has impressed and met with early success in the season with the Canucks. I'm confident that the Canucks would not have gained as many points as they currently have if Alain Vigneault was still at the helm.

However, I do wonder if the stars on the Canucks will have anything left in the tank come playoffs.

The Canucks have been a one-line show this season, banking on the success of the Sedins and Kesler, who have been pulling in the big minutes. Presently, their ice-time is hovering around 25 minutes a game.

With Tortorella's shot-blocking and intense playing regime in effect, and with the Olympics around the corner, will injury-prone Kesler and the non-injury-prone Sedins have enough to get it done in the post-season? Or will all of the extra playing time condition them as players and strengthen them for the long-haul?

The same with Luongo, an aging netminder who is playing his October like it's his November - will all the extra work be a benefit or a detriment come May?

And how will third and fourth liners feel about such limited ice-time over the course of an entire season? Will a once jovial locker room become hostile? Or will players suck it up and be satisfied with a few minutes of icetime per game? In an 82-game season, I wonder if a more balanced approach needs to be struck, but maybe this new strategy works best for a team that seems to be somewhat limited in offensive ability.

Top line played 26mins last game. In October.

That's not sustainable. Just like how overplaying the WCE wasn't sustainable. We're gonna burn them out. Just like how we burned the WCE out.

So is Torts playing this style to send a message he needs true 2nd liners and not 9 3rd liners?

John Tortorella has impressed and met with early success in the season with the Canucks. I'm confident that the Canucks would not have gained as many points as they currently have if Alain Vigneault was still at the helm.

However, I do wonder if the stars on the Canucks will have anything left in the tank come playoffs.

The Canucks have been a one-line show this season, banking on the success of the Sedins and Kesler, who have been pulling in the big minutes. Presently, their ice-time is hovering around 25 minutes a game.

With Tortorella's shot-blocking and intense playing regime in effect, and with the Olympics around the corner, will injury-prone Kesler and the non-injury-prone Sedins have enough to get it done in the post-season? Or will all of the extra playing time condition them as players and strengthen them for the long-haul?

The same with Luongo, an aging netminder who is playing his October like it's his November - will all the extra work be a benefit or a detriment come May?

And how will third and fourth liners feel about such limited ice-time over the course of an entire season? Will a once jovial locker room become hostile? Or will players suck it up and be satisfied with a few minutes of icetime per game? In an 82-game season, I wonder if a more balanced approach needs to be struck, but maybe this new strategy works best for a team that seems to be somewhat limited in offensive ability.

They are averaging 22ish minutes a game. Which is high but not that bad. If we didn't take 600 penalties a game it would be a lot lower. There are a lot of star forwards on other teams that consistently play around that much and they are fine, so overall its probably fine, but not ideal. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The problem is not Torts for playing his top line 25 mins a game. If we want to win, what the hell else is he supposed to do? Play Welsh, Sestito, Kassian, Archibald, Richardson, and Weber 15 mins a game? No. He will play his top line majority of the time.

The ball is in MG's court. He HAS to pull the trigger on a big trade, which involves a big time player coming our way. Prospects and picks may have to go, but what choice so we have? All our Dmen given NTC's like they mean nothing, we are tied down.

+1 Slegr - very good post and something to think about!

I would hope that the Sedin's conditioning and days off, etc would compensate for this but I'm not sure. You're right in that there could be nothing left in the tank by playoff time.

The ice time definitely speaks to the lack of secondary scoring.

Getting Hansen, booth and Schroeder back is not nearly enough. We need another good player that can be counted on to play two-way hockey and most importantly either score lots of goals or set them up. We're not even a shoe-in for the playoffs with this line-up like in yrs past. Other teams have gotten way better, and we've basically stayed the same, if not gotten worse. The only threats we have to score with anything close to regularity is the twins, Kesler and at times burrows; that's it! We have one of the best lines in hockey, and they have no help scoring goals. They're all great hard-working guys with little to zero sniper instincts or abilities. GM Mike has to pull the trigger on 1 or more trades. Lets not waste the last few yrs of having two of the best players in the nhl. We may make the playoffs, maybe, but were going nowhere without some scoring help

+1 Slegr - very good post and something to think about!

I would hope that the Sedin's conditioning and days off, etc would compensate for this but I'm not sure. You're right in that there could be nothing left in the tank by playoff time.

The ice time definitely speaks to the lack of secondary scoring.

it speaks the fact the team has been dealing with injuries jeez people have very short memories here

Burrows just got back Hansen Booth Weise Schroeder Jensen all out of the line up currently and playing guys like Welsh Archibald Weber will force Torts to play the top line more just like any other team that has had the same amount of forwards out as the Canucks would do the same

this doesn't mean Gillis needs to make a trade injuries happen and that's what the AHL team is for and depth

If we hit the playoffs and EVERYONE on the team is healthy/not suspended we'll win the cup. Then again, I would have said the same thing in 2011.

On the other hand, do we have the best October on record since dinosaurs ruled the earth if our 3rd/4th line are logging huge mins? Are we even in the playoff race come April?

Could very well be the case actually.

An interesting perspective to be sure, not sure that I buy it personally, but its interesting.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a coach that admitted to that kind of, shall we say, "attempted manipulation" of their GM? Be REALLY interested to read about that.

Good topic for discussion.

MG needs to start looking for help. There is no way we have enough quality forwards to go deep and challenge the top contenders as currently constructed.

Before the season started I said Kassian, Booth and Schroeder will have to emerge as reliable quality in order for us to have a chance.....so far.....ugh!

As far as the minutes with Kes and the twins. Tortz seems keenly aware of keeping his players fresh. I'm not concerned as long as we aren't decemated by injuries.

it speaks the fact the team has been dealing with injuries jeez people have very short memories here

Burrows just got back Hansen Booth Weise Schroeder Jensen all out of the line up currently and playing guys like Welsh Archibald Weber will force Torts to play the top line more just like any other team that has had the same amount of forwards out as the Canucks would do the same

this doesn't mean Gillis needs to make a trade injuries happen and that's what the AHL team is for and depth

That's actually what I meant… we lack secondary scoring because of all the injuries.

First off, I love the way this team is playing right now but is it sustainable? Right now we have 5 Canucks in the top 10 for time on ice in the entire league(Forwards only) and Kes and the Sedins are top 3. Keep in mind that Sedins are getting older and Kesler might be too worn out come playoff time. We also have 3 D men in the Top 20 for most time on ice for defenceman

I'm sure we can. Torts is using the same philosophy he's always used (in Tampa and NY) playing those who are performing best and who deserve the ice most according to him. It worked perfectly with his previous 2 teams and even in the playoffs nothing was affected. If anything, this is a boost for the players knowing they can gain the trust of the new coach and be go to guys for the team.

...and if it really was biting away at players, management would know ASAP with the health monitor braces the Canuck players wear. It monitors players stress levels, heart rate, and a bunch of other things and is state of the art technology. The team trainers and doctors check up and record the results after every game and practice so if a player(s) was at risk, they'd inform Torts and management taking the burden off until that player recovers.

Archived