The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] John Tortorella

Edler's Mind Tricks

There are times when he has to be stern, and he does that, but for the most part, he's a little more [mellow]," Canucks forward Dale Weise told ESPN.com last week.

Weise, a gritty fourth-liner who played under Tortorella in New York, said the coach's basic principles have remained the same, but the team's veteran presence has warranted some adjustments.

"He's adjusted to us as a bit of an older team," said Weise, who has since been sidelined because of injury. "He's said it in the media that he's got to change a little bit and I think I see that change."

"If you're not blocking shots, you're not going to play," Canucks winger Tom Sestito said.

"He's more involved during games, with the way you play. [Vigneault] was more ... [he] left the room to us a little more, let us run with it a little bit, but Torts is going to be in there after every period with how you've played, what you need to do better," said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin, who extended his point streak to nine games Monday night.

"I think it's been very good so far. That's how you want it to be."

"He gives you the truth. If you haven't played good enough, he's going to tell you," Henrik Sedin said. "I don't know if that's how it has been in the past, but I think it's been good so far."

"He's more involved during games, with the way you play. [Vigneault] was more ... [he] left the room to us a little more, let us run with it a little bit, but Torts is going to be in there after every period with how you've played, what you need to do better," said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin, who extended his point streak to nine games Monday night.

This says it all as to why we're doing better.

I'm pretty sure no one would fault you for posting one thread with the quote before class, then another thread with the quote after class. Posting new threads isn't really a race.

But it sounds like more of what we've been hearing about Torts with the team, hopefully it continues on a positive note and we can also find a way to win games by dominating versus just grinding them out.

I love Tort's hands on approach he is a players coach, a guy who you would follow into battle. Just like Patrick Roy has been firing up the likes of the Avalanche sometimes when a team may be more skilled as opposed to gritty it is great to have a tough guy as the bench boss.

I really don't understand why everyone seems so surprised. Torts is a good coach and is known for being honest and upfront (almost too much).

Considering how much the team needed something of a change, it's not a great surprise to see some new life.

With every coach, though, how he does during a long slump, and after a couple of years will be a better test than 15 games or so.

In the name of blue skittles would you please give it a rest?

In the name of green M&Ms could people just post a quote from the article they're making a thread about?

Despite being late for class he found time to post two different threads several minutes apart. All I'm suggesting is maybe he posts one next time and includes both the link and a quote.

In the name of green M&Ms could people just post a quote from the article they're making a thread about?

Despite being late for class he found time to post two different threads several minutes apart. All I'm suggesting is maybe he posts one next time and includes both the link and a quote.

Why is posting the article rather than a link such a big deal? Posting the whole article usually just leads to people quoting the whole thing creating page after page of the same text - annoying on a phone.

Why is posting the article rather than a link such a big deal? Posting the whole article usually just leads to people quoting the whole thing creating page after page of the same text - annoying on a phone.

As I already specifically noted, not everyone can click the link. Maybe they're on mobile and the page only displays a desktop version making it hard to read, or maybe they're on a work computer like me and can't open some sites since their filtered.

Regardless, it's noted in the board rules that something other than the link should be posted or else it could be deemed spam.

SPAM DEFINIITION

... Posting isolated links is considered spam - please include an explanatory paragraph at the least.

Elvis, he does have a point there, especially when you and Poetica go at it. Just sayin' ;) Carry on.

Hey now, poetica and I were on topic in the other thread(s) with our DoPS discussions. I'm looking for the new details this article is providing on Torts we weren't already aware of. Any opinion on this one that differentiates it from what we know so far for why I should read the whole article later?

Hey now, poetica and I were on topic in the other thread(s) with our DoPS discussions. I'm looking for the new details this article is providing on Torts we weren't already aware of. Any opinion on this one that differentiates it from what we know so far for why I should read the whole article later?

I know ... I'm fine either way. Just giving you a hard time. ;) I'm on mobile a lot too. At least you guys make it interesting.

On topic ... Torts good!

Archived