The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kings waive Ellerby (Claimed by Jets)

elvis15

http://prohockeytalk...-waive-ellerby/

The Los Angeles Kings have placed defenseman Keaton Ellerby on waivers, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie.

Ellerby, 24, hasn’t played this season but has taken a number of warm-up skates, the odd-man out in a defensive group that’s only featured seven players —Drew Doughty, Matt Greene, Alec Martinez,Willie Mitchell, Jake Muzzin, Slava Voynov andRobyn Regehr.

Acquired by Los Angeles last year with Mitchell and Greene out to injury, Ellerby appeared in 35 regular season and five playoff games for the Kings.

It’s believed L.A. made this transaction in order to bring up Tyler Toffoli and Linden Vey from AHL Manchester. Toffoli leads the Monarchs with 12 points in 10 games while Vey sits second in scoring, with 11 points.

Interesting move, but I think they have been having trouble scoring a bit and an extra D-man was the casualty.

UPDATE

The Kings have also placed forward Jeff Carter on injured reserve. It’s unclear what his ailment is — in Tuesday’s 4-3 OT win over San Jose, Carter played a season-high 23:02 and was on the ice for Anze Kopitar‘s game-winner in the extra session.

And he's claimed by the Jets:

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Jets obviously need Ellerby for depth. With Stuart, Postma, Trouba out they needed someone...badly.

I wouldn't. If anything this team needs a defencemen that can move the puck and shoot, ellerby is not that.

Definitely not that - but he's young depth and he's big. Injuries are annoying, and better depth than Alberts is a good thing. :P

I'm expecting ALOT of teams to try and grab him.

I'd put a claim in and then move tanev lol.

Ellerby's a left handed shot. He wouldn't replace Tanev in the lineup so doing that makes no sense. Perhaps if we were moving Edler or Hamhuis, then moved Garrison back to the left and brought up Corrado, we could claim Ellerby and then drop Alberts. He'd never get to us I don't think, but that's about the only way I see it working.

I'd really like for us to put a claim on him. It would give us a few more options on moving one of our top-dollar d-men, like Edler in a package and acquire a 1st/2nd liner for a deep run.

With Tanev and Stanton playing like they do, and have Weber & Corrado as back up. We could actually afford to give up one of our big four.

Ellerby should garner interest from several teams, unless he is having a very bad start that I'm unaware of. I don't think its the best fit for the Canucks, given we already have Tanev and Stanton in similar roles, but depth on D never hurts. If Ellerby was available when its our turn to make a claim, and we had the ability to trade a Dman for a depth forward, I would seriously consider it, we need bodies right now.

Something like the Dalpe/Welsh trade, only flipping a Dman instead of a 4th, is what I would be thinking if we could land Ellerby.

Ellerby is a solid D guy! Kinda like Stanton is! I say we claim him, and see if one of our expensive D guys; preferably Edler because of the return we'd get for him; would wave his ntc to go to a few selective teams. There's a chance that bieksa or edler wouldn't wave their ntc's no matter what but I'm sure they may be open to it if they gave a list of teams that they would only accept a trade too. Maybe even include tanev, if thats our only option, with a guy like Schroeder, Jensen or gaunce to get back a really good top 6 forward. Either way, ellerby is a good D guy that plays with intelligence and is better than weber or alberts etc, so lets get him quickly

I'd really like for us to put a claim on him. It would give us a few more options on moving one of our top-dollar d-men, like Edler in a package and acquire a 1st/2nd liner for a deep run.

With Tanev and Stanton playing like they do, and have Weber & Corrado as back up. We could actually afford to give up one of our big four.

Claim'em and waive Alberts.

23 other teams ahead of us, I doubt we get the chance. It does bring up the question we had before when Urbom was waived, do we have to have a roster spot (and contract spot) open already to put in a claim, or can we claim him them make room?

Archived