The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Bolland on 'Sedin sisters' comment: 'the one mistake I've made in my life'

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/31/maple-leafs-forward-david-bolland-not-a-fan-favourite-in-vancouver

Given their mischievous ways, Vancouver’s famed spandex-clad Green Men could be poised to smear some rubber rats against the glass at Dave Bolland should Public Enemy No. 1 find his way into the visitors penalty box on Saturday night.

The locals here say the Green Men have been scarce at Canucks games thus far this season. But if anything can draw them into the arena, it would be the prospect of mocking Bolland — or, “The Rat,” as some call him here.

Sure, Mimico’s Bolland may have exchanged his Blackhawks jersey for Maple Leafs blue and white during the off-season. But that doesn’t change the fact that the local citizenry here on the picturesque left coast still can’t stand him.

It has been almost two years since Bolland, speaking on Chicago radio station WGN, referred to the Sedin twins as “sisters” and implied they sleep in “bunk beds.” He has since apologized for his comments. But here in hockey-crazed Vancouver, they have not forgotten. Nor forgiven.

“It was the one mistake I’ve made in my life,” Bolland said in an interview this week. “Everyone makes them. Things like that happen. It’ll be something I put behind me.”

At the time of Bolland’s controversial remarks in December of 2011, then-Canucks coach Alain Vigneault lashed back with some biting barbs of his own.

“When you have comments like Bolland’s, he’s obviously an individual whose IQ is probably the size of a birdseed,” Vigeanult said. “And he has a face that only a mother could look at.”

Ouch!

“It wasn’t a smart thing that I did,” Bolland says now, looking back. “It was a pretty dumb move.

“But it’s over with now and it’s behind me. It’s a new chapter with the Leafs.”

Indeed. Bolland is now with Toronto, Vigneault has moved on to coach the Rangers and, as a result, time should heal all wounds, right.

...it's about time the Sedins are getting some God damn respect in the league. Respect Bolland came out and said this - shows how great the Sedins are as players and characters - but still doesn't take away he's a rat lol. Hope the Sedins demolish the Laughs tomorrow.

Honestly, over the years, and since we finally managed to beat them, I've been able to gain alot of respect for the Blackhawks, both current and former. I don't like them; but you can't deny the skills of guys like Kane, Toews, Byfuglien, Bolland, Ladd they did their jobs damn well when they were all in Chicago, and they are all players I would happily welcome as Canucks should some kind of black magic ever happen; and I still say if it wasn't for Brian Campbells massive contract, they would have started their dynasty a few years earlier.

He's just sayin that because MayRay is outscoring him, and therefore sleeps above him, in the top bunk. :bigblush:

Anyhow, Bolland is only one of many people who have made those kind of ignorant comments about the Sedins - I can't think of any others who actually acknowledged that they were ignorant, "wasn't smart" or a "pretty dumb move" - however you want to phrase it.

In Bolland's case, he was actually tasked with facing them head to head on a whole lot of occasions - it's a little more understandable why he'd be trying to get under their skin or engage in trash talk. I doubt it was the "one mistake" he's made though. Most of us have wracked up a lot more than one.

The disrespect of some other people, however, has never really been retracted, and the point of it, even more questionable. It's moderated a little - you don't here "sisters" much anymore - the worst of it these days seems to be people like Lebrun passive-aggressively referring to them as "Gingers".

But credit where it's due - it was pretty clear why Bowman chose Bolland to cap dump - but Bolland has turned it around, and Nonis, at least where Bolland and Raymond are concerned, managed a couple good reclamation projects.

Bolland and Raymond have been a solid bounce-back line for the Leafs - Bolland has the best underlying numbers on the Leafs.

"Hockey-crazed Vancouver" = one of the quietest buildings in the league. Hopefully the Canucks won't get out-chanted in their own building by leafs fans. Bolland used to play with the sedins as if they were his toys, his comments were too far, but he certainly had reason at the time for saying it.

Someone's mad they can't afford tickets. It's been loud every night I've been.

If he was still playing for the Hawks, would he have said this? No.

Actually the hawks are a pretty classy team. Toews and Kane speak highly of vancouver whenever asked, and they are a skill team that doesnt goon it up.

Keith's hit was dirty, but no player is perfect. Its a fast paced game. I fault the league for the pathetic suspension rather than Keith now that the dust has settled.

The animosity is more between fans, which i actually know some hawks fans and they aren't bad guys, its all in good fun.

Thats what makes hockey great!

Your definition of loud is not the definition of loud. That is an incredibly quiet building except for the twenty seconds after the Canucks score.

yeah, it's not like it used to be. different demographic it seems, now that the ticket prices exclude the average wage earner.

Actually the hawks are a pretty classy team. Toews and Kane speak highly of vancouver whenever asked, and they are a skill team that doesnt goon it up.

I think you are getting a little whole lot premature putting those words in the same context.

It'll take a few more years of paying for cab rides / refraining from abusing everyday working people to earn the distinction "classy".

Archived