The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Carter Ashton

elvis15

Suspended 2 games for his hit from behind on Smith. Boarding, and although Smith is turning at no point does Ashton see anything other than Smith's back. No injury and no history factored as well.

As a dangerous hit from behind where it wasn't just a reaction play, I'd like to see more middle ground on these suspensions. Hanzel getting 2 games as a repeat offender for his charging/elbowing hit and Scott getting 7 for his hit to the head with no history is too much of a disparity for me. They're all suspensions, I just question the lengths.

"Reduced to its simplest truth, fighting is one of the mechanisms that regulates the level of violence in our game," wrote Burke in USA Today. "Players who break the rules are held accountable by other players. The instigator rule has reduced accountability. Eliminating fighting would render it extinct."

Kinda the same as the Burns hit on Morrow, for which Burns was not suspended.

Dig the randomness.

I don't think any 'reverse hit' motion Morrow makes absolves Burns from following through on that hit, but that's their reasoning. I think that should have been a suspension mitigated only in length by Morrow's reverse hit.

Shanny (and the NHL) have got to have a serious meeting and find a way to actually have discipline in this league. Suspensions are not working. Dangerous and needless plays that quite frankly can be avoided are occurring more than ever. Maybe harsher suspensions or (as I've heard some people say - TSN, Sportsnet, etc.) have the discipline hurt the team in some way.

Also, might be worth letting the other team go after the players that deliver dirty hits without getting a penalty themselves.

Archived