The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

20 closest cap hits to the Sedins next year

Guest Cuporbust2

Datsyuk and Zetterberg > Sedins.

Sorry to disagree. Scoring championships and consistent point totals for the past years make your statement less credible. I detect a hint of bias in your suggestion rather than reality, however you are entitled to that opinion. Next to the Canucks, Detroit is my second favorite team however I see the players in a different light I suppose. I love to watch all four of them play hockey because they are all that good.

Sorry to disagree. Scoring championships and consistent point totals for the past years make your statement very argueable. I detect a hint of bias in your suggestion rather than reality, however you are entitled to that opinion.

Con Smythe and Stanley Cup....

No bias...based mainly on success and a bit on the last game.

I've been a Canucks fan since 1975.

Cap hit is $500,000 less and they proved it the last game that they are better (not by a lot).

I don't care what their cap hit is.. What they are actually being paid is 3.5 million more (which means they have stupid long contracts to get that cap hit) and yet they are both less productive then the sedins and have been since 2007 for the most part.

Sorry to disagree. Scoring championships and consistent point totals for the past years make your statement less credible. I detect a hint of bias in your suggestion rather than reality, however you are entitled to that opinion. Next to the Canucks, Detroit is my second favorite team however I see the players in a different light I suppose. I love to watch all four of them play hockey because they are all that good.

playoff performances dominate regular season..... but like most canuck fans i understand how you wouldnt factor in championships when we dont have one.

I don't care what their cap hit is.. What they are actually being paid is 3.5 million more (which means they have stupid long contracts to get that cap hit) and yet they are both less productive then the sedins and have been since 2007 for the most part.

All that matters is cap - hence that's why teams have to be under it. If you don't care about that then c'est la vie.

Close ones only count in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Until the Sedins lift the Stanley Cup over their heads, they will always be considered "regular season" players...

Maybe that's acceptable to you youngin's out there - but it isn't to me.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg > Sedins.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are definitely the most comparable 'pair' from that list with the Sedins in terms of impact ( Toews and Kane would be the next). Yes, they are definitely flashier, particularly Datsyuk, who's got some amazing trick-shots. Yes, we can say that both of them (D & Z) are arguably better shooters than Daniel Sedin (who is clearly better finisher than Henrik). Datsyuk is a better PK guy than the Sedins as well. Both of them are faster than the Sedins to boot. The Sedins however, are better at gaining the zone (this is a category where they IMO are the best in the league, better than even Crosby or Ovechkin in terms of consistently gaining the zone without causing offside whistles) and they are better passers. These four are fairly equal at protecting the puck (even though done in different means) but where the Sedins have a *clear* edge over Datsyuk and Zetterberg are in the fields of consistency and value for paytime. For one, the Sedins are far less `blow hot/ blow cold' type of players. I've seen Datsyuk and Zetterberg ( as well as Kane & Toews) go through multiple 5+ game stretch doing zero scoring. Sedins rarely, if ever go more than 2 games without atleast earning a point. That 'bankable consistency' is their clear trump card, a category where they are probably in the top 5 in the league ( in terms of getting points every game, not just a high points per game ratio due to a 5+ point game followed by 3 games of zero points). The other thing where the Sedins are clearly better than Z or D or heck, even Crosby, is value per game. Henrik is the Ironman of the league and Daniel is pretty close to the top 1% of most games played by a forward since the lockout in early 2000s. This is a pretty big deal to me: I'd rather have my money on a 90-point guy playing 82 games a year every year than a 75-80 point guy playing 60-70 games a year. Even in the playoffs, the Sedins have been ever solid in their presence, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. have missed far more games ( both reg. season & playoffs) than the Sedins have.

All that matters is cap - hence that's why teams have to be under it. If you don't care about that then c'est la vie.

Close ones only count in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Until the Sedins lift the Stanley Cup over their heads, they will always be considered "regular season" players...

Maybe that's acceptable to you youngin's out there - but it isn't to me.

The Sedins could be the best playoff players ever (they're close to up there FWIW at 1PPG since they've been first liners) but if they don't get the luck, supportive scoring depth and relatively injury free TEAM to help them get there it will never matter how good they are or aren't. A TEAM wins the cup, not two players and the Sedins have not been the "problem" at attaining that goal for 5+ years. I doubt they will be for the next four either.

Archived