The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VID] Pavel Bure Jersey Retirement

M A K A V E L I 96

Wish there was a few more teammates there.. Gino was involved and Naslund watched.. But Linden's ceremony had like 12 players

It's pretty clear that Pavel wasn't close to many of his teammates. They'll gloss on about what Pavel could do on the ice, but there's not much comment about him as a person or teammate or member of the community. There's clearly a fence there.

Wish there was a few more teammates there.. Gino was involved and Naslund watched.. But Linden's ceremony had like 12 players

To be honest I think it was kind of fitting that only Gino was there; along with the conciseness of the ceremony.

There's no need to re-write history and make it seem like he was Mr. Community. I honestly don't think Pavel made a lasting friendship with any Canuck player but Gino, and that's fine.

It's pretty clear that Pavel wasn't close to many of his teammates. They'll gloss on about what Pavel could do on the ice, but there's not much comment about him as a person or teammate or member of the community. There's clearly a fence there.

pavel's an introvert, people often mistake one's independence for something else, spoken from experience....

So why do we care again? As a hockey player, he did his job here...he wasn't a Boy Scouts leader, he was paid to play hockey. And no one can deny how much he gave us in that.

I'm not sure why people feel it's mandatory that players have to have kumbaya moments...there are all sorts of different people on this Earth and some are very private and tend to keep to themselves. Nothing really to criticize in that.

Thanks Mak!

I was surprised that his dad wasn't in attendance. Maybe he's not doing too well or something??

Also surprised that Val wasn't sitting at ice level....ok more disappointed than surprised. I wanted to see Candace Cameron!

Nice ceremony.

This one feels different though. Pavel was a great player - better than Stan, Trevor, and Markus. But he doesn't hold a candle to them in terms of his personality and leadership. Pavel did a lot for the Canucks and for hockey in Vancouver with his actions on the ice, but off the ice is a different story. He'll be immortalized in the rafters. But I wouldn't call him "Forever a Canuck". I know that's a contradiction...but it's just how I feel. A few appearances at Children's Hospital doesn't make him the same as his fellow retirees. But congrats nonetheless to him. Brought back great memories to see him and Gino together again.

So why do we care again? As a hockey player, he did his job here...he wasn't a Boy Scouts leader, he was paid to play hockey. And no one can deny how much he gave us in that.

I'm not sure why people feel it's mandatory that players have to have kumbaya moments...there are all sorts of different people on this Earth and some are very private and tend to keep to themselves. Nothing really to criticize in that.

Maybe as the canucks have had so few truly great players like Bure that we/they have convinced themselves of that. "Sure they're no Gretzky but they're great in the community". I bet a lot of people would trade some of that (yes it's important) for a few true stars along the way.

I can't believe you're even saying this. Why do we care? Were you saying that when Linden was retired? Or, wait, do his intangibles matter, but Bure's don't?

We're talking about shirt retirement here, deb. not just "players" in a general sense.

Bure was aloof. He wanted nothing to do with the organization or the city. He played to get out. That isn't being an "introvert" rofl. It's called being so talented that he was able to skip out on his duties so he could spend more time in a vacation home. Bertuzzi is an introvert. Bertuzzi still did his time and still did what the organization (and professional sports) asks of its stars.

Linden and Naslund were LITERALLY retired under the pretense that "kumbaya moments" matter to the organization. That is LITERALLY what those idiot owners of ours said. They were retired because, despite their good statistical achievements, their off-ice achievements took them over the top. In terms of skill, Linden and Naslund will surely be surpassed a hundred times over before the organization closes shop. Once the Canucks get a high draft pick, exciting young players will be part of the organization again, too. Surely loads of them will overshadow Bure, both in terms of statistics and community commitment. (Whether or not they'll do it with as much flash seems entirely irrelevant)

Bure, on the other hand, was simply exciting. That's it. That's all he was. He was retired for being fast and exciting and playing his way out of the city. Throw Bure in the HHOF where stats can tell a story, but for a community based organization, like the Canucks pretend to be, there's a lot more to being a "legend" than simply stats. At least that's what I believe, and it's what the organization said a few years ago.

Yeah coaches corner had some nasty stuff to say about Pavel. What jerks! They can't help themselves because Vancouver had one of the best forwards of all time. Nice to see another of their hated Canucks: Alex Burrows, start the total destruction of the Leafs last night. Pavel played like no other before or since and his body paid the price.

Glassjaw, it's a tough one as there are no actual criteria or values associated with a jersey retirement. Lots of opinions. In the end, for me I pay to watch the game and would rather see them hoist the Stanley Cup than a baby any day.

I think Trevor's involvement in the community is awesome and he deserved it. For me, so does Bure for what he did on the ice. Two different people and rationales. Both are good.

Anyone who expected Bure to be involved heavily in the community during the era he was here had very unrealistic expectations. The guy spent his formative years in the communist Soviet Union, and then moved across the world, away from his family, speaking a foreign language. He wasn't just playing in a foreign country; he was playing in a foreign country he'd been indoctrinated to consider "the enemy". Add in the pressure of being a young superstar and it's no wonder he suffered from a great deal of culture shock. Everyday life was much harder for Bure than for Linden. Even today people are fairly understanding why Russians go back to play closer to home.

At the end of the day, Pavel gave his all to this team, played with heart in the playoffs, and brought a generation of fans to their feet. I'm happy to see him finally get the recognition he deserved, and for him to get to share his night with those close to him. Was great to see Gino on the carpet with him.

Archived