The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the League Suspend Any of the Leafs?

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hate to whinge and whine about a game the Canucks dominated, but the Leafs were playing as dirty as I've seen an NHL team play in years in a regular season game yet for some reason all their antics have gone completely unpunished and ignored for some reason. Here are just some of the things I noticed but there were a few more:

Edler taking a shot in the back in the "danger" zone near the boards, goes head-first into the boards. The Leaf player got 2 minutes and Edler was lucky he somehow popped up alright.

Archibald (I think) was the victim of a similar boarding incident.

Lupul went head hunting on Henrik Sedin during a 4-on-4, completely ignored the body or puck and threw his elbow at Henrik. Luckily, Hank ducked and he knocked out his own player behind him.

McClarent waving the white towel in the penalty box should be a fine as well.

Now I know none of these dangerous, dirty plays didn't actually injure any Canucks, but they were about as malicious as they get and the intent to injure was there. My question is, should the league take a look at some of these hits?

Personally I believe the boarding on Edler deserves a 2 game suspension (only because he wasn't injured, or that's as bad a board as they come) and the thrown elbow deserves a hefty fine.

I can't see the NHL taking any action over any of these incidents. Some of the Leafs players - Kessel in particular - seem to have some kind of belief that they are entitled to do what they want on the ice.

There was a definite attitude coming from Toronto, an arrogance - a misguided belief that they are a better team than we are and we should just lie down and let them score whenever they want.

They played the game in an unpleasant way and went home with exactly what they deserved - nothing.

Well done Canucks for handing them their donkeys on a plate for the eleventh consecutive match.........

Brenden Shannahan who is also a joke himself, (although I give him props for his skill) was actually a dirty player himself, he has no business being the director of Safey, and handing out suspensions it's quite ironic how a player like him has that job, when in fact, it should be someone classy like Joe Sakic, or Trevor Linden that should have a job. Not a player with a reputation of being a goon.

This game was awesome to watch. Everything was fine IMO. Even when I think JVR started to drive Archibald into the boards he let up and hugged him a bit. I see nothing wrong there.

That was the least of them, where at least he recognized what was happening (albeit too late) and tried to fix it. I'd like to see the NHL do something about obvious and intentional dangerous plays that don't connect like Lupul's, but they don't feel the same. They've also shown by not suspending the Burns hit from behind on Morrow because Morrow reverse hits into Burns that the McLaren hit on Edler won't have anything more either.

Time served only I think on these, no suspensions.

You forgot the players on the leafs bench who were hitting our players during that scrum. Imo that deserves to be punished more then the rest.

Yeah, that was dirty for sure. My biggest gripe though was the boarding on Tanev. He got crosschecked into the boards twice!

Still thinking Kass is the only one who has to worry (and from his interview it sounds like he is a little worried too.)

This game was awesome to watch. Everything was fine IMO. Even when I think JVR started to drive Archibald into the boards he let up and hugged him a bit. I see nothing wrong there.

Never remember JVR as the type to run someone into the boards, he let up and did wrap Archie. He reminds me a lot like Sharp, who slowed a Canuck from flying into the end boards a few years back. The hit on Edler though....

Archived