The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the boys playing with heart again?

HC20.0

So, I know it's only a month in, and no I'm not saying this because of the total spanking we gave the Leafs on Saturday, but the Canucks so far this year have just been so.. different. Like, they're putting their hearts into it, and we're getting good results. I remember in 2011, watching the whole season, and it was the best and most memorable hockey I've ever watched in my life. The boys night in, and night out gave it their all, played like they had fun, and knew how to skate circles around the best of teams. They had tremendous heart, as well as amazing talent, and honestly it was a real privilege watching them play, even if we didn't win that year.

2012, we had another dominate year, en route to the Presidents Trophy again, but yet.... It wasn't nearly as memorable as 2011 was. I mean obviously part of that is because the boys didn't bother showing up for the first round of the playoffs, but in the regular season, they just didn't seem to be playing with the same flare they had in 2011. They didn't look like they were giving it their all, and really only won the Presidents due to luck, as St. Louis and New York both dropped really key games in the last month of the season. It showed when LA completely shellacked Vancouver in the playoffs. The only players I recall showing up in that series were Henrik Sedin and both of our goaltenders. It was an absolutely pathetic effort from a team that was capable of so much more. Then 2013 hit. It was quite possibly one of the worst season's of hockey I've ever watched the Canucks play. The team had almost no flare in it at all throughout the entire campaign, and really the only reason why we made the playoffs were Schneids and Lu playing good hockey. They stole games for us night in and night out. The team looked like had no heart at all. Obviously having no second line center was a huge factor, but regardless, the team looked awful, and the sweep in the playoffs just showed that. We couldn't hold leads, couldn't score goals, nothing.

But this year seems to be different. Radically different. The boys are playing some amazing hockey right now. They're playing with even more heart then the 2011 squad, even though they're not as good skill wise, and for the first time since 2011, I'm enjoying watching Canucks hockey again. I don't know what Torts is doing, but it's working wonders. They boys aren't giving up. The Sedins are dominating more then ever, Kesler looks just like his Selke form, and we're getting secondary scoring from guys like Santo and Higgins who are playing great night in and night out. The boys aren't just winning games, they're having fun doing it, and putting their all in while doing so. Best example to me is the 5-4 OT win we got in Calgary. The boys went down 3-1 in the third, yet they didn't give up. They clawed back, and took it to Calgary, and won. Last season there was no way we would've done that. The Canucks would have just rolled over and let the other team walk all over them. But this year that heart seems to be back, and this team just wont give up. Even when we've lost, I've enjoyed our games this year, and watching the Canucks play with that heart again is just... it's something else. I'm really proud of our boys this year so far, and I think, even with the elite teams in the west, they can prove Pavel right if they keep on playing this way!! Everybody had us as a write off, lets keep proving them wrong! GO BOYS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:

Coaching change makes a huge difference.

Can anyone imagine listening to the same guy, tell you the same thing for 7 years?

AV was a good coach but he was fired at the right time, and I am not surprised our team has responded with such fire. A lot of other posters predicted this the second we saw the picture of Torts at YVR.

Santorelli, Richardson, and Stanton are all surprises that make me think we may still be able to compete for a cup without our rookies just yet.

More heart and life in the squad than under AV forsure. Team was pretty dead for the most part since the Finals run we had.

Top guys are rolling and healthy, now we just need to find something that clicks in our bottom half of forwards and get some secondary scoring, second line too needs to chip in more.

i think they are just afraid of tortorella and will run out of gas 25-30 games. too many injuries from bloking shots and playing too high tempo in meaningless games. need to save it for the playoffs. twins and kes cant afford to play 30 mins a game either they will be ineffective probably in the playoffs.

They got there swagger back, and above sedins and keslers ice time will drop once depth players return. I haven't had confidence in this team like this for a while, I won't go ahead and say this team has it in them to go all the way until they prove they can beat la phx sjs and Ana without it just being a lucky bounce that wins it for us.

i think they are just afraid of tortorella and will run out of gas 25-30 games. too many injuries from bloking shots and playing too high tempo in meaningless games. need to save it for the playoffs. twins and kes cant afford to play 30 mins a game either they will be ineffective probably in the playoffs.

There's a difference playing because you have to and playing because you want to. The Sedins and Kesler are the ones who want to play, and are being played because Torts wants them to play. They both want the same thing. Yes, there is the concern of gassing out, but our players are thriving off this kind of minute management and they're playing great hockey because of it. It's a player-coach relationship they didn't have with AV.

Injuries are unavoidable just by the nature of the game. And we've only got one player out right now from blocking shots; most players get injured from hits which happens far more frequently than shots blocks.

Playing at this higher pace builds consistency of being at a higher pace. I think the boys were held back too much the last few years, and it really showed in the playoffs when LA then SJ outworked our team. Playoffs are not won by conservation, they are won by consistency. We have a team built not by skill but by hard work, and with a coach who understands and promotes hard work at the helm, there is potential to go deep in the playoffs again.

for starters they arnt playing 30 mins a game. thats over exarggerating.

And one of the problems under AV was trying to play playoff hockey too late- with Torts the team is already in that mindset, and learning all the details of the systems theyll need to have down pat inorder to succeed.

This is exactly the way the team should be playing.

"Torts won't let us quit" - Lu

Enough said. This alone makes me so glad we got him, such a breath of fresh air. From same old generic crap of AV to Torts giving it straight win or lose. When did AV ever say in a winning game, the game was a mess? This shows Torts wants a lot of our player and knows what it takes to play well and win. He always wants more. That is a winning mentality

Don't know why people are so afraid of the Sedins running out of gas by season's end. These two guys are the best conditioned athletes in the NHL. And to top it off, Tortorella is relentless on his emphasis on conditioning, this guy is able to play his top guys 20-25 mins a night by making sure they stay in shape.

They are playing well for each other not because they are afraid of Torts... What I am wondering is if they can engrain this style into their play almost every night, can they find a level above this for the playoffs?

Torts always talks about reaching that gear they didn't think they had, and I think he is taking them on that journey, being true to his words. First year since 2011 where I feel like most nights no matter the score I feel like we have a good chance to win the game. I think the Players feel that way as well.

Confidence can be infectious.

There is no "switch" that you can turn on when the playoff time arrives. Like Torts said, the players should do their best to win the next game and play their best for that game. That's the correct approach. If in the end, we don't win the cup, I know that it won't be because of lack of effort.

Don't know why people are so afraid of the Sedins running out of gas by season's end. These two guys are the best conditioned athletes in the NHL. And to top it off, Tortorella is relentless on his emphasis on conditioning, this guy is able to play his top guys 20-25 mins a night by making sure they stay in shape.

Exactly, the Sedins have both been troopers throughout their careers, and Danny would be on just as long of an Iron Man streak as Hank if not for that injury a few years back.

Their level of conditioning is another reason I think the Canuck's "window is closing" is bull, these guys are gonna play, and play well until at least 40. Just take a look at their fellow countryman Alfie

Exactly, the Sedins have both been troopers throughout their careers, and Danny would be on just as long of an Iron Man streak as Hank if not for that injury a few years back.

Their level of conditioning is another reason I think the Canuck's "window is closing" is bull, these guys are gonna play, and play well, until at least 40. Just take a look at their fellow countryman Alfie

Archived