The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Jordan Staal?

Carolina is weak defensively, and Jordan Staal has been struggling. He's been relegated to a horrid 3rd line defensive role really, behind eric & skinner.

Maybe throw Tanev + prospect who isn't horvat/corrado/shinkaruk or high picks + Booth(cap dump) + a later pick for taking on his salary.

Tanev = good young addition

Add a good prospect, or a high pick.

Booth = negative value/cap dump

Daniel - Henrik - Kesler

Kassian - Staal - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Archibald - Richardson - ?

He's not going anywhere.

It would likely have to include Edler + to even slightly get Rutherford's attention.

I completely disagree on the Edler + thing.

J staal is a 50-60 point guy over the course of the season.

Edler can hit around 40-50 depending on how the pp is, and if he's getting pp time.

Would be jstaal+ to get edler imo.

I just don't see how at this point, Rutherford wouldn't be listening to offers that involve a vancouver first + second + tanev type offer.

Thoughts?

I completely disagree on the Edler + thing.

J staal is a 50-60 point guy over the course of the season.

Edler can hit around 40-50 depending on how the pp is, and if he's getting pp time.

Would be jstaal+ to get edler imo.

I just don't see how at this point, Rutherford wouldn't be listening to offers that involve a vancouver first + second + tanev type offer.

Thoughts?

So basically what you're saying is that a low first + 2nd + a top 4 dman at best is worth an elite Center just about to enter his prime.

Like I said Rutherford would demand Edler + as Carolina has absolutely no one on the back end.

Edler would never waive to go to Carolina, so the likelihood of landing Staal is significantly low.

I don't think Canes will listen to this offer simply because it's too soon to give up on him from the Canes perspectives and the offer of Tanev, 1st, and a low pick (say 5th or lower) is not enticing enough. It's true that all of Jordan Staal's offensive instincts were forced to be buried playing behind Crosby and Malkin as his main focus was to defend and now he is struggling offensively as he is struggling to re-discover his scoring touch. But he is still young (only 25) so given more offensive roles, surrounded in a comfortable environment (his brother is the captain of the team), he will eventually be better -- at least, that's the idea. I wonder how his career would have turned out if he went to another team where he would have been given 2nd line centre role where he would have been encouraged to be more creative and be more offensive.

The idea is good, get him while his value is low. And, I do agree that Edler+ is an overpayment for somewhat of a project -- who knows if he will pan out as a second line centre scoring 60+ pts consistently? On the other hand, Edler is already a top 4D, who can score 40 pts consistently. But as the others have stated, the offer will only be attractive enough to the Canes if Edler+ is offered so it won't happen.

Some third line centres around the NHL:

Bolland

Sutter

Ott

Kelly

Brodziak

Goc

Stoll

He's not going anywhere.

It would likely have to include Edler + to even slightly get Rutherford's attention.

You would give up an all star, 49 point, first pairing defensemen, who is 6'3", 215lbs...

for a 3rd line centre...and give away a draft pick...?!?

I like Jordan Staal a lot and I think he would be an amazing addition to this team, but I would expect Jordan Staal++ for an Alex Edler trade!!!

He's not going anywhere.

Our team (which has a better record than Carolina, in an arguably tougher division), has Richardson and Santorelli as our third line centres.

Does that mean we should be able to trade them for a top line defensemen off of another team?

Some third line centres around the NHL:

Bolland

Sutter

Ott

Kelly

Brodziak

Goc

Stoll

You would give up an all star, 49 point, first pairing defensemen, who is 6'3", 215lbs...

for a 3rd line centre...and give away a draft pick...?!?

I like Jordan Staal a lot and I think he would be an amazing addition to this team, but I would expect Jordan Staal++ for an Alex Edler trade!!!

Our team (which has a better record than Carolina, in an arguably tougher division), has Richardson and Santorelli as our third line centres.

Does that mean we should be able to trade them for a top line defensemen off of another team?

I said that's what the expectation would be from Carolina's end.

Alex Edler is a big part of our d-core, I said nothing about wanting to trade him (read more carefully)

Do you really think Carolina would deal Staal, without getting something significant in return?

But again, neither player is going anywhere.

He's not going anywhere.

I said that's what the expectation would be from Carolina's end.

Alex Edler is a big part of our d-core, I said nothing about wanting to trade him (read more carefully)

Do you really think Carolina would deal Staal, without getting something significant in return?

But again, neither player is going anywhere.

I think Alex Edler Is very significant! And I think Rutherford would be all over Edler for Staal. I just don't think that we would even contemplate trading a top 2 defensemen for a 3rd line centre

I think Alex Edler Is very significant! And I think Rutherford would be all over Edler for Staal. I just don't think that we would even contemplate trading a top 2 defensemen for a 3rd line centre

I'm not quite sure you know who Jordan Staal is. Staal is NOT a 3rd line center, he is a very good top six forward who turned down the contract he has now from Pittsburgh to sign in Carolina. Just because he was playing the third line center role DOES NOT mean he is one. He was the Pens' 3C because Pittsburgh had a disgustingly stacked team when he played for them. Rutherford would demand Edler+Gaunce+1st at least as a starting package.

The Canes are bad in general right now. Staal being on the 3rd isn't necessarily an indication of his poor play alone but perhaps trying to spread the wealth. With Eric there and their younger brother in the system as well, it really would take a significant deal to get Rutherford's attention. He's not going to just give up on him to take back a few lower end pieces and a cap dump.

Archived