The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquire Nick Ritchie 3-10th overall

Merci

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010-11 Georgetown Raiders OJHL 1 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --

2011-12 Peterborough Petes OHL 62 16 23 39 60 -- -- -- -- --

2012-13 Peterborough Petes OHL 41 18 17 35 50 -- -- -- -- --

2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL 13 6 6 12 34

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Nick Ritchie would love to transfer the success he's savoured internationally to his team.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pounder's blend of size and offensive skill makes him a projected first-rounder. Ritchie knows his stock could be indexed to how high his Peterborough Petes climb in the OHL's Eastern Conference. It's cursory at best to juxtapose a player's worth against his team's showing, but it happens. After growing closer with Petes coach Jody Hull last spring when they helped Canada capture the world under-18 championship in Sochi, Russia, Ritchie feels more at ease with being a go-to scorer for Peterborough. So far he has six goals and 12 points in 11 games for the Petes, who are 6-4-0-1 against a fairly challenging early-season schedule.

"That was big," Ritchie, who turns 18 in December, says of he and Hull's time last spring in Sochi, Russia, where the U18 was played in the same arena where the Olympic hockey tournaments will be staged in February. "We got to grow closer together out of that. It was a different experience with Jody being my assistant coach for that tournament instead of being my head coach. We both did a pretty good job. He's known me for a while and definitely knows my game and I know how he coaches and what he asks for. It's been great so far.

"You don't want to be satisfied with not playing well and still winning," Ritchie adds.

The Orangeville, Ont., native's bloodline barely needs referencing. Nick's brother, Brett Ritchie, is a Dallas Stars prospect who was a load for OHL defenders over his final two seasons of junior with the Niagara IceDogs. Nick Ritchie presents a similar challenge to opponents; the difference in the siblings' games appear to be minute.

"He's been dominant physically holding off defenders and forcing himself to the net, making it very difficult to defend against him," Petes general manager Mike Oke says. "I can really notice a maturation in his physical abilities. Nick comes in early in the morning for workouts before heading off to school. I think he's really trying to establish those daily habits and the routine of being a pro hockey player. Understanding that you have to put the time in."

Point-a-game forwards of Ritchie's dimensions are a rare quality. As so often happens with a prototype power winger who's grown up as a big fish in the youth hockey pond, his stock will depend on how teams believe he will respond in challenging situations. Becoming a leader could help him resolve that question.

"It's important to have a good, consistent game," says Ritchie, who had 18 goals and 35 points in 41 games as a sophomore despite injuries. "Being solid everywhere and good shift by shift."

http://ca.sports.yah...-202001449.html

1. Among NHLers, who stand out as players you observe closely since their skill set is similar to the one you're trying to build?

"There's a few guys. I like to play a little bit like [the New York Rangers'] Rick Nash or [boston Bruins'] Milan Lucic — a bigger power forward with skill. Someone like that."

There is no better player that we need right now than this kid, I think at the deadline this year we chuck some combination of Gaunce and Corrado at whoever hasn't picked him past #5

​What is the point of having prospects when your team is pushing to win the cup before your hall of fame 1st liners retire. Gaunce, Corrado, and possibly Shinkuruk are all expendable for the right price, Ritchie is a player who will make a difference now.

NJ forfeits their pick this year so it isn't unreasonable to get him 6th or 7th overall. A combination of Gaunce Corrado + a pick will almost guarantee getting him from a team like Edm, or Philly, or Buffalo. Two solid prospects and a pick is the cost and if Gaunce impresses this year he'll match the value of Ritchie guaranteeing him.

People have to understand Ritchie is a one every 3 drafts kind of player, he crashes the net hard and understands the game on a level to score every night.

With Horvat and Shinkuruk we really don't need a 3rd line C prospect with the emergence of Santorelli

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Shinkuruk Horvat Kesler

Ritchie Santorelli Higgins

Burrows Richardson Hansen

Edler Garrison

Hamhuis Tanev

Stanton Bieksa

Weber

Subban

Lu

Lack

If this isn't a stacked line up, I don't know what is. Losing Gaunce and Corrado will suck but Santorelli is Burrows 2.0 and we need to use that to our advantage to get the LW version of Kassian to completely put us over the top.

Nah. Would have to give up a good prospect maybe even two with a roster player. Would rather keep our guys

This kid along with Kassian means we have two of a probable 7/8 players who define power forward in the entire league.

He may be really young but he plays an NHL game already, and he would fiti n perfectly with Kassian and Horvat to form a huge 2nd line.

It's worth the cost.

This kid along with Kassian means we have two of a probable 7/8 players who define power forward in the entire league.

He may be really young but he plays an NHL game already, and he would fiti n perfectly with Kassian and Horvat to form a huge 2nd line.

It's worth the cost.

But we have more of a need for snipers on our team right now. Our snipers right now: d sedin, kesler and thats all. To get a top 10 pick we would have to lose jensen which is one of our sniper prospects our only one other than shinkaruk. I would rather keep kensen and all of our prospects and draft ho-sang in the 22-26th range.

But we have more of a need for snipers on our team right now. Our snipers right now: d sedin, kesler and thats all. To get a top 10 pick we would have to lose jensen which is one of our sniper prospects our only one other than shinkaruk. I would rather keep kensen and all of our prospects and draft ho-sang in the 22-26th range.

Higgins can snipe and maybe Booth if he can stay healthy for more then 6 games, we need a net presence and someone who can run the net effectively. If this guy can do it why not.

You don't win the west with pure snipers. Not helping Edmonton all that much. San Jose's big guys are fast strong and overall better then our players. We need big bodies who can skate. I'm done with the Raymond type players. I'm all for this guy at the right price.

Higgins can snipe and maybe Booth if he can stay healthy for more then 6 games, we need a net presence and someone who can run the net effectively. If this guy can do it why not.

You don't win the west with pure snipers. Not helping Edmonton all that much. San Jose's big guys are fast strong and overall better then our players. We need big bodies who can skate. I'm done with the Raymond type players. I'm all for this guy at the right price.

Yea well I am not up for trading a good prospect and a pick for a chance at this guy who might not pan out. It is a pretty bad draft year...

not convinced we need this guy - what we need is strength down the middle and a top D man

our top needs

1.a 2C

2. Number 1 d man

both these are exceedingly hard to find

top d men and centermen win championships - power forwards are complementary pieces

plus we have too many wingers already

sedins sedins Kesler

burrows --2C -- higgins

Hansen Santorelli Kassian

---- Richardsson ----

we have jensen, horvat, gaunce, shinkarirk to bring along next year not to mention we have booth and schroeder under contract

in my mind there is no 2C among the guys listed above. Horvat ideally makes the team as 3 C, shinkarirk as a top 6 winger? but then what does that mean for Kassian and higgins???

are we going to play Kassian on the 4th line - a waste! and then do we leave Jensen in the minors? what is he is ready?

we have too many "tweener" forwards and not enough high end talent - I would keep Shinkarirk, Horvat, Corrado

Higgins, Hansen, Santorelli, Gaunce, Jensen,Booth Schroeder and this years 1st are all assests (of varrying value) that could be moved to get us a young 2C that makes us an elite team

but who do we target as that 2C?

It would take a Cory Schneider player to get a 3-10th overall pick. I don't think we have enough assets to do that unless.... You want to trade the farm because our roster is mostly NTCs which aren't getting moved.

If Ritchie were a lock to be a Rick Nash it would be worth it.

It has taken 3 years, and only in a small sample in his 3rd year, to be a PPG player in the OHL. Kassian was a PPG his 2knd year, 1.35 PPG his 3rd. I'm not convinced he's approaching the value of a top 3 draft pick where you can virtually "guarantee" the calibre of the players NHL career traditionally.

Therefore you are giving up 220 lb Gaunce who has better scoring numbers and plays a two way game, Corrado who is the equivalent of a top 20 pick, maybe top 15, considering his development and another first pick? And Corrado appears as close a lock as you can get to predicting his future, what separates him from being ranked higher is dynamic athleticism or size. I would find it very hard to invest Corrado or Horvat to any deal.

I'll need more than one article that says he is 235 lbs and a PF to invest this.

not convinced we need this guy - what we need is strength down the middle and a top D man

our top needs

1.a 2C

2. Number 1 d man

both these are exceedingly hard to find

top d men and centermen win championships - power forwards are complementary pieces

plus we have too many wingers already

sedins sedins Kesler

burrows --2C -- higgins

Hansen Santorelli Kassian

---- Richardsson ----

we have jensen, horvat, gaunce, shinkarirk to bring along next year not to mention we have booth and schroeder under contract

in my mind there is no 2C among the guys listed above. Horvat ideally makes the team as 3 C, shinkarirk as a top 6 winger? but then what does that mean for Kassian and higgins???

are we going to play Kassian on the 4th line - a waste! and then do we leave Jensen in the minors? what is he is ready?

we have too many "tweener" forwards and not enough high end talent - I would keep Shinkarirk, Horvat, Corrado

Higgins, Hansen, Santorelli, Gaunce, Jensen,Booth Schroeder and this years 1st are all assests (of varrying value) that could be moved to get us a young 2C that makes us an elite team

but who do we target as that 2C?

We potentially have a 2C and 3C in our prospects, God hope, amongst Casells, Horvat, Gaunce or Schroeder. Dont disagree we need, but??? BUT, none are dynamic play makers. Schroeder was in juniors.

Yes a D man perhaps is our top need, but a skilled puck rushing D. We have 220 lb stopper Garrison, two way guys in Hamhuis and Bieksa, Edler a 2D plus Corrado and Tanev. We have the defensive side handled unless the 1D is a Chara? Point > find a prospect who could be Karlsson or Letang to drive our PP and transition game...

3rd need is a dynamic winger. It would be great if that winger was a PF, but I'll settle for speed and scoring. Key is 40 goal potential.

We don't have ANY snipers on this teams, the closest thing to it is Daniel Sedin and he passes way too much to be considered a sniper. Booth is a power forward, Higgins is a grinder, and Kesler is a talented 2 way grinder. That truly is the one thing we need on this team; a bonafide goal scorer. We haven't had one since Naslund.

We don't have ANY snipers on this teams, the closest thing to it is Daniel Sedin and he passes way too much to be considered a sniper. Booth is a power forward, Higgins is a grinder, and Kesler is a talented 2 way grinder. That truly is the one thing we need on this team; a bonafide goal scorer. We haven't had one since Naslund.

They can snipe, they aren't snipers but in todays game being a one trick pony doesn't cut it in the playoffs, how's Washington doing with Ovies one trick snipe show in the playoffs? Exactly. Of Booth is a PWF he is the softest PWF I've ever seen.

Archived