+/- Rating = -5

Goals - 5

Assists - 7

Penalty minutes - 4

Shots on goal - 39

Shooting percentage - 12.8%

Hits - 5

Blocked shots - 6

...not to start a war but just throwing out the stats. Hoping this makes for a good discussion rather than a battle.

Looking at the stats, Hodgson is obviously up points total wise. However, other than that, Kassian seems to have the edge. Kassian is 1 year younger, is averaging 8 minutes of less ice time than Hodgson and Coho averages 3 minutes of more PP time than Kass does. With that, Hodgson has a worse +/- rating, is averaging a much lower shooting percentage, has less hits and is up a couple on blocked shots. Kassian is just 2 goals behind Hodgson who has played 5 more games than him and is getting played drastically more than Kassian is. Zack is a powerforward, Cody is a playmaker which is odd considering if you average out the minutes played for each player and the rate of their stats, Kass has the upperhand on Hodgson. Hodgson again is playing on the 1st line while Kassian is playing on the 3rd line. Very unusual considering the advantage Hodgson has over Kassian opportunity wise in games and yet the only thing he's up on is points which is a given considering the style of play of each player. Other than that, Kass has made a point and is upping Coho.

*Can update weekly if requested by majority*

I'd say it's more fair to compare the two at the same years in their development. Kassian is a year younger, so compare this year to Hodgson last year perhaps.

Was thinking about it but thought it wouldn't be fair since last year was a shortened season. Age doesn't matter really since this year is the year both players get a chance and are NHL regulars knowing what their job is.

I'd say it's more fair to compare the two at the same years in their development. Kassian is a year younger, so compare this year to Hodgson last year perhaps.

Give Kass two years.

Kassian weise combo will be one of the deadliest crunching lines ever (wishful thinking... I know)

But I got a lot of faith in both.

On other note, good for coho for playing so well now.

Why do we constantly have to do this?

Hodgson is playing as a first line center right now, Kassian is a third liner. They're really not comparable. Kassian will never put up as many points as Hodgson, that's not why we traded for him though.

I'm happy with how Kassian's game is coming along. He's slowly starting to get how he needs to play. His goal against the Leafs is a perfect example of how they want him to play. Starts off the play with a hit on their player and then goes straight to the net looking for the pass. This is the type of simple game that is played in the playoffs.

Both completely different players. Not fair to compare them right now. Hodgson will always put up more points than Kass will since he's going to be centering a 1st or 2nd line his whole career. Kassian is going to be a late bloomer but I have confidence in his ability to be able to breakout as a useful NHLer when he's 24/25ish.

Lets be realisitic. Hodgson plays with Buffalo's best players. He gets all the primo ice time and all the juicy PP minutes too.

He doesnt have to sweat like Kesler in front of the net. He sit safe and snug on the half wall, where he and the point man will always milk down the PP assists.

Compare that to a guy who is a year younger, who gets 3rd line minutes with a revolving soup of half baked guys. He gets no power play time to speak of. He also fights, hits and even injures the other players (oops)

Hodgson has more points. Anyone would. Reverse the roles and Kassian has more points.

Consider the bottom line. Hodgson has 5 goals. 3 were on the PP and one an empty netter. Kassian's all were at even strength.

Both completely different players. Not fair to compare them right now. Hodgson will always put up more points than Kass will since he's going to be centering a 1st or 2nd line his whole career. Kassian is going to be a late bloomer but I have confidence in his ability to be able to breakout as a useful NHLer when he's 24/25ish.

This, they play 2 different styles of hockey and are on 2 different teams that are night and day. I mean for crying out loud Sabres are being called the joke of the league this year.

I've never been a fan of people comparing the two, and still not.

Average TOI is the big factor, of course Hodgson will have more points averaging close to 20 mins/game

Not to mention 3:12 of powerplay time per game vs Kassian's 0:20.

3 of Hodgson's goals are powerplay goals, and almost half his points come from powerplay time.

Another reason why the two players can't be compared. Eliminate powerplay time and Hodgson has 2 goals while Kassian has 3.

Don't want this thread to be a war thread again based on people's opinion and bias, rather want to let the stats speak for themselves and we can judge neutrally from there.

As of now Hodgson is doing average for the ice time he has and the player he is compared to the ice time Kass has had and the production he has put up doing good.

One area I would have liked to see Kassian dominating CoHo is in the blocked shots category. To me this is really indicative of what a player is willing to sacrifice to win.

Centers will always have more blocked shots. They're responsible for getting back first.

Not to mention Hodgson also averages 1:06 of pk time a game vs Kassian's 0:00. Alot more likely to block shots on the pk.

Again different roles, winger vs center.

We have access to these stats without a thread, so forget constant weekly updates.

Can 'the majority' rule to lock this up asap? Hell, we don't even need a majority.

I reported the OP and put it out there to mods they can lock this thread if they feel it will do more bad than good.

Not sure why people are sensitive about this, sure the talk is redundant but that was all based on opinion and bias...thought I'd do a favour and put up stats which matter most and make life easier for those who don't have time to look them up.

Yeaa......Kass is pretty much always gonna get owned in this head to head thing. At least for the foreseeable future, he's just the inferior player right now.

Break down the numbers however you want and throw in a bunch of "ifs", end of the day it's all relative. With the added opportunity comes more adversity and vice versa. Kassian can be glad that he can earn his way on a team that doesn't completely suck.

Archived