The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thorium-Fueled Automobile Engine Needs Refueling Once a Century

nucklehead

Thorium burns HOT. Car accidents might get even more dangerous than they already are, but I'm for it. Also, the nuclear industry has been off and on looking at thorium as an alternative, yet in cars it would not be radioactive as it (hopefully) would not be bound with isotopes as part of the fueling process.

Then I thought to myself... Topes win! Topes win!

edit: Pretty sure I didn't see anything about cost of vehicle production there. Or anything about combustion at all. Back to re read the article again.

edit 2: Right, steam turbine. I am curious as hell really. Can it be an affordable alternative?

No idea, but I'm sure what you'd save in fuel cost alone over 100 years should offset the price.

What's the over under on people driving for 100 years these days. Moreover, what's the over under on a vehicle lasting half of that in lifespan, let alone the whole hundred.

Manufacturers will just work fuel savings into the up front costs, so the consumer will likely save little. $$$ car. But I want them to build it anyways on a large scale.

so this will be ready in two years, there prototype. this same article was around in 2011, so 2 years go by and were still 2 years out. so maybe in 2015 will have another 2 years out. Cool idea and all but I doubt our govs will like people having radioactive material in there homes. maybe we will all create bombs or something lolol

Important note:

• Thorium produces 10 to 10,000 times less long-lived radioactive waste.

That is not the same as no waste. So we'd be substituting emissions for nuclear waste. So what happens in a crash?

Oops...spilled heavy water into the water supply. Don't mind that third arm you're growing there.

Important note:

• Thorium produces 10 to 10,000 times less long-lived radioactive waste.

That is not the same as no waste. So we'd be substituting emissions for nuclear waste. So what happens in a crash?

Oops...spilled heavy water into the water supply. Don't mind that third arm you're growing there.

yeah, but at least there was no mushroom cloud...

What's the over under on people driving for 100 years these days. Moreover, what's the over under on a vehicle lasting half of that in lifespan, let alone the whole hundred.

Manufacturers will just work fuel savings into the up front costs, so the consumer will likely save little. $$$ car. But I want them to build it anyways on a large scale.

The market would change for sure. Does car leasing still happen? Or are we going to see "car mortgages"?

So I pay $500,000 for the car and will probably only live another 60 years. Is it worth it?

Yes, look at inflation. A truck 20 years ago was what, $8000,$10,000? Now one is $40,000,$45,000....

Something tells me that if you had a lifetime payment of $500,000....it wouldn't be that huge 10-20 years down the road anyhow

Archived