The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella and the team identity.

PhillipBlunt

John Tortorella is a great coach. The Canucks needed a new voice and they certainly got it with him.

When he speaks, he gets to the meat of the issue.

He has made the core of the team realize how talented and capable they are.

Under him the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Burrows, Hamhuis (finally!), Garrison, and Luongo are having a really great start to the season. They are showing poise that they have never had before. Hansen and Higgins are taking their play to the next level, as is Richardson. Hell, even Sestito is showing progress in his overall game.

Torts is also weaving some magic with the younger guys. Mike Santorelli is flourishing under Tort's system. Kassian is coming along and if his play against the Leafs was any indication, he will break out this year. Tanev and Stanton are buying into the system and round out what is truly a great defensive core. They looked good on paper the last few years, but now reality has caught up.

Even more so is how players like Welsh and Archibald are being given a chance to prove themselves. These guys are big, bruising players with some skill who might have never been given the chance under AV. These are players the Canucks need to compete as the season wears on. And as the post season begins.

This team is really developing an identity. One that has been absent. Even in 2011, there wasn't really a defined team identity. They could play circles around everyone with their skill and speed, but didn't have the grit to push back.

That's all changed.

This team is destined for great things. They are capable of playing any type of game. They can fight back from a deficit, they can hold onto a lead. They can play with remarkable discipline. And they can take it to the alleyway with no hesitation.

It's a great time to be a Canuck.

our team seems much better 5 on 5 versus the 2011 team that relied heavily on their PP sometimes to get the job done. We are getting the job done even with our PP ranked 29th in the league. That is something that we should be really happy about since we wouldn't necessarily need powerplays anymore in order to win. We are more defense oriented and we take a lot of shots similar to Sharks, Wings, Hawks and other elite teams. IMO our team seems to have the right concept for winning the cup.

Tortorella is giving young players a chance because there's so many injuries, and the prospects MG thought were going to play ( as he inferred ) didn't come through in camp. If Horvat or Gaunce had shown more i doubt if Santorelli would be here. If Hansen Weise and Schroeder weren't all injured Welsh/Archibald would still be in Utica

I'm liking the new Canucks and their "never give up" and "never back down" attitude. I think it helped us get more respect from other teams (and their fans). It's also good to finally see the Canucks trying to score throughout the game, whether we are winning or losing. We finally have that "killer instinct"..won't win in the playoffs if you give the other team some room to breathe

When AV was our coach, and a good number of people still respected AV even though they were fine with the notion of him leaving, nuck nit was looked at by many as a reasonable and well-informed individual.

Now his unwavering AV love affair is starting to look silly since AV's departure, and the entirety of CDC calls him a troll.

I gotta give nuck nit credit. He's not a fickle troll. He stands by his stupidity.

Cheers, nuck nit.

Still a whole second line away from top contenders but I agree with the fact that this team looks like they have a fire lit under their ass. Giving it their all every night.

Don't want to speak too soon but Santorell, Higgins, and Burrows looked great as a second line.

Hamhuis looked like he was sleeping throughout October. Was one of our worst defensemen and just looked off... hoping he can have a strong November though

I think he's had flashes of really good play, but it has been offset by horrible blunders.

I can think of one play against the Caps where Ovechkin was streaking down the wing and Hammer calmly took the puck away from him and made him look like a complete non threat.

His games is coming. He's just starting slow like most of the veterans.

I wouldn't say Hamhuis looked like he was sleeping. Even as a joke the most astute assessment of his play in Oct. was here in a GDT thread, paraphrasing - "He needs to smoke less blunts before the game, he's double clutching all over the place."

While I doubt the Community Man was puffin out back of the Rog, he really did look like a player overthinking a set of systems, probably the old vs. the new. We're seeing it already but he's settling in, I think a hardcore positional player like him takes longer to switch over.

I think it's too early to judge what this teams identity is. With that being said, I like the effort the boys are showing and love how torts defends them in the media in his short time here. The twins have had a reputation as being soft for all the wrong reasons, and FINALLY our coach has taken a stand. Bravo Torts!!

Still a whole second line away from top contenders but I agree with the fact that this team looks like they have a fire lit under their ass. Giving it their all every night.

Read some of the crap in my sig. Half of CDC was using the fact that we had no second line as AV's defence (/excuse).

Look at the way the team plays, now! And, hey, wait... where's our second liners?

I think it's too early to judge what this teams identity is. With that being said, I like the effort the boys are showing and love how torts defends them in the media in his short time here. The twins have had a reputation as being soft for all the wrong reasons, and FINALLY our coach has taken a stand. Bravo Torts!!

And Torts saying these things has a huge ripple-effect. CBC was repeating it throughout the game like it was some sort of subliminal message!

Torts gets sh*t done!

Archived