The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brodeur would consider waiving NTC if Devils aren't contenders

Drouin

There are 68 games remaining and only one team in the Metropolitan Division — the Pittsburgh Penguins — seems capable of running away with a playoff spot. The Devils feel confident they will be in the running for a postseason berth until the bitter end.

But what if they’re not? What if injuries and the inability to score goals puts them in a hole they cannot escape, and general manager Lou Lamoriello decides to sell rather than buy at the March 5 trade deadline?

Martin Brodeur, who has a NTC, told The Star-Ledger he would consider going to a contender.

"I hope it will never happen, but if there is a situation that could be really fun for me and really good for the Devils, why not? It’s not like I’m going to play 25 more years here," Brodeur said yesterday.

"I’m not looking for that. I want to get back into the playoffs with this team and try to do something with this team. I would say 99 percent I’d say no right now. But for a little bit of time (in the spring)? Nobody is going to remember it, really. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal."

Brodeur is in the final season of his contract. He could accept a trade to a contender and perhaps even re-sign with the Devils if they wanted him back for another year.

"There is no doubt about that. It’s not like a buyout. I could do whatever I want," Brodeur said. "It’s not something everyone is thinking about right now, but it happens. Some of the best players in the league have moved around. Ray Bourque. You name it. A bunch of guys had success somewhere else.

"I know something might happen, but I doubt it Lou will ask me unless I ask him."

Would the Devils really consider trading Brodeur? Wayne Gretzky was traded twice, and he was younger than 41 years old.

And will there be a market?

Brodeur reasoned. "That could be a possibility. That’s not something that interests me right now, but it might."

Read the rest of the article here.

Sucks if Brodeur ends his career on a team other than the Devils but I guess I understand him kind of - not like he desperately needs another Cup but who knows, maybe he just wants to have fun.

...if it comes to that where the Devils won't be contending and Brodeur and management are open to doing it, I see 3 teams easily in the hunt for him; Philly, Tampa, and Calgary if these teams are contending by that time.

Sucks if Brodeur ends his career on a team other than the Devils but I guess I understand him kind of - not like he desperately needs another Cup but who knows, maybe he just wants to have fun.

...if it comes to that where the Devils won't be contending and Brodeur and management are open to doing it, I see 3 teams easily in the hunt for him; Philly, Tampa, and Calgary if these teams are contending by that time.

Don't worry, none of those teams will be contending for a while.

I see TB making the playoffs.

Chicago as a possibility if they don't feel comfortable with Khabibulin as back-up? Or Pittsburgh?

Perhaps Pittsburgh if Vokoun isn't back in time.

Philly seems like they're lost. Tampa is most likely to be a contender and Calgary can be a surprising underdog...also listed them because Marty's hometown is Calgary so it would be cool if he ended his career their, plus it means he'd get to play on a Canadian team, something he hasn't been able to do in his career.

Philly seems like they're lost. Tampa is most likely to be a contender and Calgary can be a surprising underdog...also listed them because Marty's hometown is Calgary so it would be cool if he ended his career their, plus it means he'd get to play on a Canadian team, something he hasn't been able to do in his career.

Brodeur's from Montreal..

That's disappointing. I hate franchise players leaving teams at the end of their careers.

This. When I heard about this earlier I too was a bit disappointed. I know he loves the game and would like to continue to play but I can't imagine him in another NHL team's uniform. Hope he doesn't waive his NTC to another team...

He'd sure be a nice insurance policy behind Roberto...

Not that it would realistically ever happen

Luongo is better than Brodeur at this stage of their career. Luongo beat him before for the Olympic starter job and it would be no different now.

I think he's just sour that Schneider has de-throned him. Even though Schneider hasn't played his best, that just speaks to how poorly Brodeur has played. Brodeur must have known that the Devils were not going to be a contender this year. Kovalchuk left, Clarkson was gone, the team's offence was decimated. If he wanted to go to a contender, why wait until now?

Archived