The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Suzuki's Fukushima Warning

TheRussianRocket.

David Suzuki has issued a scary warning about Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant, saying that if it falls in a future earthquake, it's "bye bye Japan" and the entire west coast of North America should be evacuated.

The "Nature of Things" host made the comments in a talk posted to YouTube after he joined Dr. David Schindler for "Letting in the Light," a symposium on water ecology held at the University of Alberta on Oct. 30 and 31.

An excerpt of the talk shows Suzuki outlining a frightening scenario that would result from the destruction of the nuclear plant.

"Fukushima is the most terrifying situation I can imagine," he said.

"Three out of the four plants were destroyed in the earthquake and in the tsunami. The fourth one has been so badly damaged that the fear is, if there's another earthquake of a seven or above that, that building will go and then all hell breaks loose.

"And the probability of a seven or above earthquake in the next three years is over 95 per cent."

Suzuki said that an international team of experts needs to go into the Fukushima plant and help fix the problem, but said the Japanese government has "too much pride to admit that."

"I have seen a paper which says that if in fact the fourth plant goes under in an earthquake and those rods are exposed, it's bye bye Japan and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate," he said.

"If that isn't terrifying, I don't know what is."

Suzuki's warning came as radiation from the Fukushima plant has been detected in northern Alaska and along the west coast, CBC News reported.

Radiation in Alaskan waters could reach Cold War levels, said Douglas Dasher, a researcher at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, although John Kelley, a professor emeritus at the same university, doesn't seem as certain that it will reach dangerous levels for humans.

"The data they will need is not only past data but current data, and if no one is sampling anything then we won't really know it, will we," he told the network.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/4213061

I am a fan of Suzuki and while I don't doubt the collapse of a nuclear power plant wouldn't be pretty, I really hate this quote

"I have seen a paper which says that if in fact the fourth plant goes under in an earthquake and those rods are exposed, it's bye bye Japan and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate"

It's such a doom and gloom fear mongering statement, based on ONE paper.

So the biggest and fastest super computers in the world cannot predict when or where earthquakes hit or what magnatude they will be, but David Suzuki can say with 95% certainy that a quake of 7 or higher, which is a pretty big quake, will hit Japan within 3 years..

It's such a doom and gloom fear mongering statement, based on ONE paper.

Yea, I'm thinking that's worst case scenario, and there are many possibilities of what would happen.

Still a scary thought to think that could happen though.

Wonder how long we would have to evacuate...

About damn time this has made its way to the main stream. There is no fear mongering here, removing the damaged fuel rods manualy( usually done by computers), is an incredibly delicate procedure. If even one of the thousand plus were to break it would be catastrophic. There are reports all over of mass die offs in the pacific and even off the bc coast. Star fish are literally melting off of vancouver island , seal pups and polar bears have radiation sickness and are found with lesions and losing their fur in Alaska. Orcas are getting sick, vast majority of blue fin tuna are radioactive. 92% of fish being sold from Japan have elevated levels of radioactive cesium... We have destroyed our planet, our oceans and now we are next to go.

And evacuation? Governments are continuously raising the "safe" limit of radiation. The Japanese government is about to pass a secrecy law that would punish people for leaking information on Fukushima to the public. If evacuation is required , it will already be too late by the time we find out.

A question - if something catastrophic were to happen with the rods, it's a given Japan would be virtually destroyed but wondering why us on the pacific coast would have to evacuate - would it be due to a possible tsunami from the explosion, radiation, or something else? And also if it is due to radiation, wouldn't the countries to the left of Japan have to evacuate also then?

A question - if something catastrophic were to happen with the rods, it's a given Japan would be virtually destroyed but wondering why us on the pacific coast would have to evacuate - would it be due to a possible tsunami from the explosion, radiation, or something else? And also if it is due to radiation, wouldn't the countries to the left of Japan have to evacuate also then?

It has to do with the winds and the current that flows out to the pacific towards us. It would carry all that toxic radiation right over to the westcoast.

But yea, I would think China and all those other countries would be in danger too. Which is why I'm hoping China is putting a ton of effort and resources into getting this thing fixed.

It has to do with the winds and the current that flows out to the pacific towards us. It would carry all that toxic radiation right over to the westcoast.

But yea, I would think China and all those other countries would be in danger too. Which is why I'm hoping China is putting a ton of effort and resources into getting this thing fixed.

They're not because TEPCO is primarily still in charge of the cleanup and they've been lying and pinching pennies from the get go. Their priority is still to save money and create profit for their shareholders and not to fix this mess. As long as they are in charge of the cleanup, it will only continue to get worse.

misc1.jpg

That's why they've repaired the building and are moving the rods.

However, what's not being said is the impact on the environment the initial disaster had on the environment. It could be 'bye-bye Japan and the west coast of NA should be evacuated' already, but they're just not telling us. And why would they tell us? Abandon a rich country and evacuate hundreds of millions of North Americans and put them where? And even if you do that, it's the entire earth that will eventually be irradiated a little bit more.

imho This is the beginning of the end of the nuclear age. What's scary long-term though is that countries are turning back to coal for energy, following China's lead. That has fail written all over it.

Longer-term, imho What will eventually come of this though is an energy revolution that will lead to a new world renaissance. Perhaps after we're all dead though, as the old powers will want to milk the current energy crisis for all it's worth. So... Hang in there, mankind?

:picard:

Archived