The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames 2013 3rd Round Pick Kanzig Gets TKOed

DeNiro

He better learn how to tuck that chin in if he wants to fight in the pros otherwise he will get spend a lot of time on his ass.

I don't know anything about the kid but it looks like either he's not really a fighter or he's used to fighting much shorter players (with shorter reaches) because no decent fighter hangs their chin out like that, it's fighting 101.

He better learn how to tuck that chin in if he wants to fight in the pros otherwise he will get spend a lot of time on his ass.

I don't know anything about the kid but it looks like either he's not really a fighter or he's used to fighting much shorter players (with shorter reaches) because no decent fighter hangs their chin out like that, it's fighting 101.

He's not a very good fighter for a guy his size and doesn't use his body as much as he probably should given he's essentially Chara-sized up against boys.

I was pretty shocked that Kanzig was selected in the 3rd round by the Flames, to be honest. He has NHL size (and then some), but he is really lacking on the skill side. Joe Hicketts, Kanzig's D partner, helped Kanzig's stock a lot last year, IMO. Hicketts is awesome, but because of his small stature, he'll be a triple-digit draft pick, IMO, much like Jordan Subban. I'd actually love for the Canucks to pick Hicketts up; tremendous skill set and compete level.

Watched him play the giants a few months ago when the victoria royals were in town here. The guy is the biggest douche I've seen in years he deserves to get knocked the f**** out. Also he can't be more than 6'5"... man nhl teams lie about size like crazy, makes me wonder how big guys on this team actually are.

Watched him play the giants a few months ago when the victoria royals were in town here. The guy is the biggest douche I've seen in years he deserves to get knocked the f**** out. Also he can't be more than 6'5"... man nhl teams lie about size like crazy, makes me wonder how big guys on this team actually are.

I go to the Royals games occasionally. Was surprised he was drafted, more surprised that Calgary took him that high in the draft, and honestly could not believe what I was reading in the Calgary Sun during preseason:

"It will be a big surprise if the hulking 18-year-old, who’s spent the last two seasons with the WHL’s Victoria Royals, will remain with the Flames when the regular season kicks off Oct. 3 against the Washington Capitals, but it speaks volumes to how he’s fared."

Imo he was a third pairing defenseman for the Royals - not a great deal of skill, not a great deal of mobility - he is a very big 18 year old who has a lot of developing to do to catch up to that frame. It was another way-off-the-radar pick by the Flames. I like the Royals, so my point here isn't to criticize Kanzig - but to be real and say that imo he was drafted primarily because of his size alone - and has a long way to go and a lot of work if he hopes to play NHL quality hockey or crack an NHL lineup. One thing though - there's not much doubt that he 6'5" as he is listed - I'm 6'4" and he's definitely bigger than I am.

I go to the Royals games occasionally. Was surprised he was drafted, more surprised that Calgary took him that high in the draft, and honestly could not believe what I was reading in the Calgary Sun during preseason:

"It will be a big surprise if the hulking 18-year-old, who’s spent the last two seasons with the WHL’s Victoria Royals, will remain with the Flames when the regular season kicks off Oct. 3 against the Washington Capitals, but it speaks volumes to how he’s fared."

Imo he was a third pairing defenseman for the Royals - not a great deal of skill, not a great deal of mobility - he is a very big 18 year old who has a lot of developing to do to catch up to that frame. It was another way-off-the-radar pick by the Flames. I like the Royals, so my point here isn't to criticize Kanzig - but to be real and say that imo he was drafted primarily because of his size alone - and has a long way to go and a lot of work if he hopes to play NHL quality hockey or crack an NHL lineup. One thing though - there's not much doubt that he 6'5" as he is listed - I'm 6'4" and he's definitely bigger than I am.

Completely agree with what you're saying, to me he didn't seem like a good enough player to get drafted either... Feaster strikes again eh?

I know he looked 6'5" to me as well, but I believe on the Flames website he's listed as 6'7" so that was what my comment was directed at.

Completely agree with what you're saying, to me he didn't seem like a good enough player to get drafted either... Feaster strikes again eh?

I know he looked 6'5" to me as well, but I believe on the Flames website he's listed as 6'7" so that was what my comment was directed at.

It's hard to say with big defensemen at that age though. Kanzig certainly didn't appear to be the best defenseman on the Royals last year, but at the same time, he has a build that could be successful if his skating catches up to it. When I've seen Duncan Siemens he hasn't really stood out either - never would have guessed he's an 11th overall without knowing - and on a certain level it can seem like a bit of a lottery regarding which players get drafterd. They are young men - scouts have to look at what their potential could be moreso than with other positions. I did notice a lot of improvement in his skating/mobility through the season - at the beginning he looked like he was really struggling with the speed of the game, but towards the end of the season, had closed the gap.

From the Royals games I've been to, I haven't seen Kanzig fighting a whole lot (also haven't seen him do anything that would suggest he is "one of the biggest douches in years" either as another poster suggests). He seemed pretty level headed to me - not a dirty player and not necessarily an enforcer - just a big young defenseman. I think when you're that big though, it's often assumed or expected that you should play that style of game - I personally don't like to see players get pigeon-holed like that.

Size had a lot to do with why he was drafted, but a what Feaster and Flames scouts really liked about Kanzig was his workouts off the ice. Take it for what it's worth, but they pretty much said that they felt he was one of the better athletes in terms of athletic ability in the draft.

They acknowledged that he needs to get more mobile, but they figured because of how well he tested off the ice he will figure it out with coaching. And that is largely why they decided to have him at camp for as long as they did, so that he could get coached by NHL level coaches.

Size had a lot to do with why he was drafted, but a what Feaster and Flames scouts really liked about Kanzig was his workouts off the ice. Take it for what it's worth, but they pretty much said that they felt he was one of the better athletes in terms of athletic ability in the draft.

They acknowledged that he needs to get more mobile, but they figured because of how well he tested off the ice he will figure it out with coaching. And that is largely why they decided to have him at camp for as long as they did, so that he could get coached by NHL level coaches.

He definitely has a build to work with - and as I mentioned in a later post, for a player who had difficulty with the speed of the WHL game at times, he did alright to keep within himself. My impression was that he's not the type of player to get out of position trying to throw hits, or take undisciplined penalties. HIs game, aside from not being the most skilled or mobile player, was nevertheless pretty well-focused on what he can do. It was simply surprising to see him drafted I think it was 67th overall - I'm not sure that Kanzig would have been on many team's radar so they might have been able to take him later, but Calgary doesn't seem to work like that. If they really like a guy who is ranked 100th, they'll take him in the first round.

As you mention, they could like his work ethic - and I think he noticeably improved his skating over last season. I think Kanzig was projected in the 200+ range - which would have made it borderline that he get selected.

I hope he does make the Flames though - I just couldn't imagine him being considered near ready as a teenager. That would have been an epic amount of development in one year.

I'd like to see Steven Hodges eventually make the Panthers as well - he's a fun player to watch.

Archived