The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rolston's Coaching "Prowess"

SabreFan1

Hate to say it but they are so young and so "stupid" In terms of experiance. They will get better but for right now young players have a tendency to follow the puck.... thats what happens.

That may be true, but the first player in that line is Tyler Myers. Ron Rolston was hired because he is supposed to be a young player coaching guru.

The picture is hilarious though. No lie, it took me at least 15 minutes to stop laughing.

*edit* I forgot to post Steve Ott's joking about it on Twitter. I love this guy.

http://twitter.com/otterN9NE/status/397989108481404928/photo/1

Is he the owner's buddy?

What's his story?

He's an excellent under-18 youth coach. The problem is that he went from there to a short stint in the AHL with Rochester, and was promoted to the Sabres head coaching job within about 18 months time. The owner and team president (Ted Black) as well as the GM threw him into the spotlight way too soon.

Learning how to coach in the NHL takes quite a bit of time if you've never coached or played in it before. Even Torts needed a few years as an assistant coach in order to learn the intricacies of the NHL. I think that the Sabres front office is just now realizing that they made a very big mistake. It's too late though. No upper tier NHL coach in their right mind would want to jump into the current mess that is here right now. The Sabres front office dug themselves into a hole and the whole organization is paying for it unfortunately.

He's an excellent under-18 youth coach. The problem is that he went from there to a short stint in the AHL with Rochester, and was promoted to the Sabres head coaching job within about 18 months time. The owner and team president (Ted Black) as well as the GM threw him into the spotlight way too soon.

Learning how to coach in the NHL takes quite a bit of time if you've never coached or played in it before. Even Torts needed a few years as an assistant coach in order to learn the intricacies of the NHL. I think that the Sabres front office is just now realizing that they made a very big mistake. It's too late though. No upper tier NHL coach in their right mind would want to jump into the current mess that is here right now. The Sabres front office dug themselves into a hole and the whole organization is paying for it unfortunately.

Yes, Team USA U-18 is where I know him from. How did he springboard from coaching kids (albeit at the highest level) to an NHL head coaching job so quickly is what I'm wondering. The new Buffalo owner seems extremely meddlesome and to fancy himself something of a hockey guy and I'm wonder if he's a USA hockey connected type who thought he's elevate a star from that system into the NHL ahead of his time because he's the owner and knows best. Looks like it might be that way from a distance. Was wondering what the locals thought?

Yes, Team USA U-18 is where I know him from. How did he springboard from coaching kids (albeit at the highest level) to an NHL head coaching job so quickly is what I'm wondering. The new Buffalo owner seems extremely meddlesome and to fancy himself something of a hockey guy and I'm wonder if he's a USA hockey connected type who thought he's elevate a star from that system into the NHL ahead of his time because he's the owner and knows best. Looks like it might be that way from a distance. Was wondering what the locals thought?

The owner had nothing to do with it. Darcy Regier is not only the GM of the Sabres, he is also the GM of the AHL's Rochester Americans. He brought Rolston in to coach the prospects at the AHL level, which wasn't a bad idea since he's a youth coach, but then for some inexplicable reason he then threw Rolston into the deep end by promoting him to the NHL to coach the Sabres. Unfortunately Terry Pegula loves Regier and is running his hockey club the same way that he ran his oil company. He is a sophomore owner making poor choices. As to what team president Ted Black is doing, nobody has a clue. Most people think that he is Pegula's "yes man".

Once Darcy trades Miller and Moulson, he needs to go. Making excellent trades is his strong suit, followed by a slightly above average knack for doing well at the drafts. Unfortunately he is terrible at everything else.

Archived