The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver-Carolina

Let me start off by saying this isn't a "solve all our problems pipe dream" trade, this is more of a trade that gives a fresh start to 2 players, and fills certain organizational needs.

To Vancouver:

Drayson Bowman (600k, RFA at the end of the season)

3rd round pick 2014

To Carolina:

Jordan Schroeder (600k, RFA at the end of the season)

With the emergence of Santorelli and the likes of Gaunce/Horvat/Cassels waiting in the shadows Schroeder becomes expendable. No doubt he's a talented player but I think he'd thrive in the East. Carolina is also in need of an offensive center because the Staal brothers play on the same line and Ruutu isn't that great of a player, JS could fill that void for them. Schroeder's situation is a lot like Raymond's was last year, he's a talented player but his true potential will be easier to reach in the East.

Bowman is a talented player as well but is being put in the wrong situations by Carolina because of his play without the puck. Without the puck Bowman can seem clueless sometimes (think Edler). I think that Vancouver is what his career is in need of. Torts can teach him the defensive aspects of the game by integrating him into our system. He's a fast skater, with a crazy good wrist shot, very good on the powerplay and he's 6ft1 195 lbs so he's got good size. He's also from Michigan so maybe he and Kesler could develop some chemistry although Bowman is a "shoot first" type of player which we don't have many of on this team, at least not one with this good of a shot.

They're both RFA's at the end of the year and are in need of a change in scenery. Carolina gives us a 3rd because Schroeder is a former 1st round pick and IMO is worth more. Carolina gets a 2B-3A center and we get a player who is the closest thing to a sniper in our team and could potentially be a top 6 forward for us.

Yikes I think Schroeder has a little more value than that. I think Schroeder's defensive game is getting near where it needs for the NHL. Also I think Carolina prospect pool is a black hole where talent gets sucked into a void never to be seen again.

Personally I wouldn't make this trade unless there was more coming back. Just my opinion.

its never too early to give up on schroeder, the guy's size is value crippling.

Like Brendan Gallagher, right? Remember, Martin St. Louis (5'8") wasn't an NHL regular until he was 24, and didn't explode offensively until he was 28. I'm definitely not saying that Schroeder will be that talented; however, I do think it's premature to say that he has already peaked.

Yikes I think Schroeder has a little more value than that. I think Schroeder's defensive game is getting near where it needs for the NHL. Also I think Carolina prospect pool is a black hole where talent gets sucked into a void never to be seen again.

Personally I wouldn't make this trade unless there was more coming back. Just my opinion.

I do see where you're coming from, but Schroeder is often over valued here on CDC and that's cause we see his potential and we tend to over value all our players lol. If you were Carolina's GM you'd ask, why would I trade for a short center who's often injured (I know that's not the case but that's what he'd say in an attempt to lower the value). You could switch the 3rd to a 2nd, but I believe they wouldn't do it at that price. You have to understand that Bowman is one of their top prospects and has a very attractive skill set. They've both showed glimpses of the players they COULD be and they both haven't proven much at the NHL level, this is a hockey trade. Both teams are giving up something of value for something that would be of more value to them.

It's a little early to be giving up on Schroeder, IMO.

I'm not giving up on Schroeder, he's a talented player and I have faith that he'll turn out to be a good player, but what I am saying is that the roles we have available to him are better suited for the younger prospects coming up in the system, simply put the timing for him is wrong. We're giving talent and receiving talent. We have many players who can player where Schroeder will end up playing, but we have no players like Bowman.

Like Brendan Gallagher, right? Remember, Martin St. Louis (5'8") wasn't an NHL regular until he was 24, and didn't explode offensively until he was 28. I'm definitely not saying that Schroeder will be that talented; however, I do think it's premature to say that he has already peaked.

Although I agree that size isn't everything, St. Louis isn't a good comparable. St. Louis was putting up Crazy numbers in Uni and in the AHL, it was only a matter of time before he figured out the NHL, and it took a trade to the east for that to happen. That's what I'm suggesting for Schroeder, we might as well get something we could use in return for him before his value drops any more.

I wouldn't take that.

Schroeder is all upside IMO. And seriously under appreciated because it's easy to just write him off because of size. I think trading him would be a big mistake. At worst, he would useful as a depth C/FW in the playoffs.

Actually if you think about it, VAN has a full NHL calibre line injured right now in Booth - Schroeder - Hansen. That's pretty good depth if you ask me. And a lot of that is due to players like Schroeder, Santorelli, Stanton (thanks CHI) , etc.. signing for cheap so they can prove something.

I wouldn't take that.

Schroeder is all upside IMO. And seriously under appreciated because it's easy to just write him off because of size. I think trading him would be a big mistake. At worst, he would useful as a depth C/FW in the playoffs.

Actually if you think about it, VAN has a full NHL calibre line injured right now in Booth - Schroeder - Hansen. That's pretty good depth if you ask me. And a lot of that is due to players like Schroeder, Santorelli, Stanton (thanks CHI) , etc.. signing for cheap so they can prove something.

Once again, I'm not writing him off because of size, I'm not writing him off at all. Like I said earlier, I'm sure he'll become a solid player but it's very unlikely that he reaches his full potential with us. The timing is simply wrong with Schroeder. I don't think any of you know who Bowman is and if you do you're seriously underestimating him. He's a pretty big guy, fast skater, with a lethal shot, I'm talking Ovechkin lethal. We don't have 1 sniper prospect in our system but we have many 2 way centers who are playmakers. Bowman would also re-sign for cheap seeing as he still has to prove himself just like Schroeder. I think this deal is very even and benefits both sides.

Although I agree that size isn't everything, St. Louis isn't a good comparable. St. Louis was putting up Crazy numbers in Uni and in the AHL, it was only a matter of time before he figured out the NHL, and it took a trade to the east for that to happen. That's what I'm suggesting for Schroeder, we might as well get something we could use in return for him before his value drops any more.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I believe it is incredibly premature to give up on a player at only 23 years of age. Most players have a steep learning curve when entering the NHL; but the curve is much higher for: Goalies, defensemen, and small players. Each has to adapt to the size and speed, which is much more difficult for them then it is for other players. And remember, Gillis has stressed (before this season) that he wanted to model the organization after the Red Wings, who take their sweet time in developign their talent. Will it pay of with Schroeder? Time will tell.

That's the type of value I expect for David Booth, not a prospect like Schroeder - Schroeder is going through a rough patch with injuries right now and we just have to grit our teeth and hope he gets through it without regressing much.

Booth would never get us Bowman simply because of his contract. Booth would most likely get us another player on a similar contract in need of a fresh start. You have to give to get, that's what most people don't understand. CDC tends to overrate our players a lot. I agree that we should wait till Schroeder returns from injury though, just so that his value can rise a bit.

Archived