The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard and Torts

kessnasty

Hello hello CDC...

I've been thinking that, given Ballard's early-season success in Minny, he may have done fairly well here in Vancouver.

Now I KNOWWWW he had a ridiculous contract that he wouldn't have lived up to regardless of the coach, but I think AV made it incredibly difficult for him to show his skill and lock down a roster spot.

For much of Ballard's tenure here in Vancouver, he was shifted around (LD and RD), moved up to forward, moved up to the press box, and everything else under the sun it seems.

However, one thing that always stood out to me was the way that Ballard played with heart and to his full capacity. Anyone remember him on Florida trying to chop off his goalie's head? Now I'm not saying that was a smart thing to do, but it shows his passion and fire.

Given his newfound confidence/success from playing under a new coach and his natural tenacity, I think he would have boded very well in Torts' system and perhaps pushed some of our other high-paid D-men to be even better (looking at Edler here....he can do better).

Just to wrap things up....I think our D-corps is just fine and I don't think we need Ballard, I just thought he would have provided some good internal competition (had it all worked out financially, which is doubtful but whatever!) and also perhaps had some good player-coach chemistry with Torts

Personal bias: I always had a soft spot for Ballard, even when he was screwing up...I just felt bad for the guy and he seemed like a great guy off the ice and in the locker room. Glad he's doing well in Minny!

Yea but Hodgson >>>>>>>>> Ballard, bad trade. Plus Gillis waived Raymond if you didn't hear, and he was the guys to fill Ballards spot

Fire GMMG

seriously though, I think Ballard could have been great under Torts, but he wasn't the 4M dollar d-man he should have been and was bought out rightfully so.

Yea but Hodgson >>>>>>>>> Ballard, bad trade. Plus Gillis waived Raymond if you didn't hear, and he was the guys to fill Ballards spot

Fire GMMG

seriously though, I think Ballard could have been great under Torts, but he wasn't the 4M dollar d-man he should have been and was bought out rightfully so.

Really?

You don't trade three(okay two and a half because of Bernier) quality assets for a sixth defenceman.

Ballard should have been better but his lack of trust from the staff and their refusal to play him is equal

The thing that sucked for Ballard was that he had injuries all throughout his first year to the point that AV felt Rome was a better option for the duration he was here. When Ballard did get his chances, albeit limited, he had difficulty to succeed. So the cycle goes.

IMO, had he been used on the PP and PK more, his contract wouldn't have looked half as bad.

----

If he was still here, I'd think Torts would have gave him a legitimate chance to reinvent himself before the AV routine.

Love how the people complaining about Booth and Ballard think that Gillis was the one that signed those contracts when it was actually Florida who signed them to those 4 million dollar deals and then traded them to us. Just laughable at how people are so forgetful :lol:

he acquired the contracts.... its laughable how you see such a difference in signing a player to a stupid contract or giving up assets to get said player and his stupid contract.

Fire GMMG

Lol

Torts is the same as AV and worse when it comes to playing favourites and those players on a roll.

Ballard is kind of like Booth in that injuries never gave him breathing room to really get going.

Loved Ballard's game and like what I see when Booth is healthy.

The best for both of them.

Ballard was quickly replaced by Hamhuis, which dropped him down to the 3rd pairing. He had a few injuries, which affected his play. He never managed to prove he was worth what the Nucks were paying him. I do believe he would have played better for Torts, but he would probably had more injuries too.

Already, this year he has had a concussion and was injured again in their last game (blocking a shot). It seems that Keith just can't get a break.

Personally, I really like the guy and am hoping he will have a good year in Minni.

Ballard could have even lived up to his contract if we'd had an NHL quality coach during his time here.

You mean the coach that got us 5 straight division titles, back to back Presidents trophies, A trip to the Stanley cup finals? That guy? you mean the most successful in our team history? that guy? give it a break, it was a business decision, more then peronsal reaons. I like Ballard myself, would have much preferred him over Booth, but we have to follow the cap rules. Ballard was an easy choice, although I wish we could have traded him away.

You mean the coach that got us 5 straight division titles, back to back Presidents trophies, A trip to the Stanley cup finals? That guy? you mean the most successful in our team history? that guy? give it a break, it was a business decision, more then peronsal reaons. I like Ballard myself, would have much preferred him over Booth, but we have to follow the cap rules. Ballard was an easy choice, although I wish we could have traded him away.

And if AV could accomplish all of that with this team, imagine what an NHL quality coach could have done.

AV was an anchor holding this team down from greatness.

Archived