The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

My brother in law dropped one of these off today as a congratulatory gift. Had a glass loved it. If you enjoy Peated whiskey's you'll enjoy it. It's got a really nice distinct flavor.

Do you mean distinct compared to peated single malts? Or just distinct in general? The only Irish whiskey I've ever like was Writers Tears, mind you I've had 2 and regular ole Jameson is the other. I always say I'm going to try more Irish, then I grab 3 handfuls of Scotch and Bourbon and run for the till.

Do you mean distinct compared to peated single malts? Or just distinct in general? The only Irish whiskey I've ever like was Writers Tears, mind you I've had 2 and regular ole Jameson is the other. I always say I'm going to try more Irish, then I grab 3 handfuls of Scotch and Bourbon and run for the till.

Distinct compared to the other peated single malts I've tried( only tried a few though). Writers tears is pretty damn good I always have a bottle in my office. If your looking to try more Irish whiskey's Redbreast , Bushmills 21 and of course GREEN SPOT are my personal favorites.

Distinct compared to the other peated single malts I've tried( only tried a few though). Writers tears is pretty damn good I always have a bottle in my office. If your looking to try more Irish whiskey's Redbreast , Bushmills 21 and of course GREEN SPOT are my personal favorites.

Ok gotcha. Yeah Writers Tears surprised the hell out of me. So smooth, and tasty to boot. Green Spot and Red 12 are on my "to have" list. I'll add Bushmills 21 to it.

The thing that turned me off initially about Irish Whiskey was Jameson. It took me well over 10 years to give it another chance. Truth is it is so much more affordable than single malt so I don't know why I haven't given it more of a fair shake.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up this for our Whisky tasting this weekend. I had this at a Whisky tasting during a stag visit to Vegas in May and i've been looking for it since. There were only 2 left at BC Liquor stores in BC so I managed to snag one.

balvenie_14_caribbean_cask.jpg

Snagged one from the Strath today after another store screwed up my order for the Ballechin Sauternes cask and now can't get more. Good consolation though as I thoroughly enjoyed the taste I had at Whiskyfest.

a2zw8w.jpg

The best thing about hosting a whisky tasting is opening the bottles beforehand for a pre taste. I mean, you have to make sure that they are presented in the correct order.

:bigblush:

edit:

Does anyone know why the Glendronach whisky is so affordable with age? The only one I've bought is the 21, and I found it to be pretty good overall. Not amazing, but bold with lots of depth. A bit bitter though but it seems to be balanced out with whatever perceived sugars are present. Very different than a typical scotch I would drink, perhaps that's why I liked it. Nevertheless, my thoughts are that < $150 for a bottle over 2 decades old is a pretty good bargain.

Having said that, has anyone tried the Glendronach 18? Reasonable $ on that one too.

If anyone knows where I can buy another bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas or the Clynelish 14 I'll open the bottle with them and share a dram. I regret not buying more than 1 bottle each.

What's even crazier is I read that certain versions of Glendronach are even older than the age statement due to the distillery being closed for a period of time. One of the best values out there right now; the Glendronach 18 certainly was of a very high quality, although not exactly my style of whisky.

I still got most of my Clynelish 14 and Cairdeas in my liquor cabinet, but that doesn't really help. Adding to the collection constantly helps prevent me from running out of some of my favourites (and those 2 certainly qualify).

Edited by King Heffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a glass of Port Charlotte By Bruichladdich on the weekend. Quite nice. A little less peaty than Ardbeg.

Definitely a good one; was surprised how well balanced it was; even the Octomore didn't feel like a peat-bomb which was amazing. I really want to find some of the Nikka White though; that stuff was absolutely amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing it out there, but the Broadmead BC Liquor Store is absolutely amazing. As far as I'm concerned, this is the place to go for scotch in Victoria. The staff there really, really know their stuff and take pride in their selection, which is better than the signature store on Ft Street regarding unique bottles; they bring in a lot of IB offerings and stuff like this:

benriach-17-septendecim.jpg

Easily worth the $113.

Edited by King Heffy

• 2 months later...

i'm heading down to BevMo in Bellingham this weekend as they are holding 2 bottles for me.

1 - 15 year Macallan for $87 and 1 - 18 year Macallan for $199

I'm holding both for future value ! I have searched all over BC for these bottles and have come up short.

i've just started getting in to drinking whiskey and bought a bottle of forty creek copper pot. it's pretty good and i hate drinking whiskey. had it on the rocks but i also caramelized onions for burgers with a shot and they turned out amazing

Welcome to whiskey.

It's a good place to be.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...