The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

30 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Still good for a young peat single malt eh?  My personal fave is Lagavulin 16 but the 8 year, while good, doesn't rate much for me compared to say Laphroaigh or Ardbeg. Even Connemara out of Ireland.  

Love me some Octomore.  Got myself some of this:

ardmdw2009.jpg

Ardmore aged in ex-Laphroaig casks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Still good for a young peat single malt eh?  My personal fave is Lagavulin 16 but the 8 year, while good, doesn't rate much for me compared to say Laphroaigh or Ardbeg. Even Connemara out of Ireland.  

I had lots of Lag 16, a total classic. Usually try and keep one around the house. I wasn't much impressed by the 8 year, and even less so the distillers edition. The finish was very underwhelming.

Have you had any Bruichladdich? The Octomore line is the peated line, and it's pretty incredible stuff. Some of the bottlings can be a little harsh at times, such as last year's 10.1. I found the actual Octomore 10 year to be much better. This year though, the 11.1 is fantastic. For a 5 year, it's truly remarkable.

I hadn't really ever heard of Bruichladdich until a friend introduced me to them, and now I'm a total addict. The Port Charlotte line is on the cheaper end and wonderful. The Octomore stuff is pricier, and much more unique. If you are into peat at all, I'd give one a shot.

9 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I had lots of Lag 16, a total classic. Usually try and keep one around the house. I wasn't much impressed by the 8 year, and even less so the distillers edition. The finish was very underwhelming.

Have you had any Bruichladdich? The Octomore line is the peated line, and it's pretty incredible stuff. Some of the bottlings can be a little harsh at times, such as last year's 10.1. I found the actual Octomore 10 year to be much better. This year though, the 11.1 is fantastic. For a 5 year, it's truly remarkable.

I hadn't really ever heard of Bruichladdich until a friend introduced me to them, and now I'm a total addict. The Port Charlotte line is on the cheaper end and wonderful. The Octomore stuff is pricier, and much more unique. If you are into peat at all, I'd give one a shot.

I have had a few. I used to go to a lot of tastings and such pre covid. Usually my whiskey bar always has 3 things: Lagavulin 16, Laphroaigh Quarter Cask and Wild Turkey 101. Then I'll usually have a few other assorted bottles featuring an Irish, non peat single malt (for guests) and some other bourbons. 

32 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I have had a few. I used to go to a lot of tastings and such pre covid. Usually my whiskey bar always has 3 things: Lagavulin 16, Laphroaigh Quarter Cask and Wild Turkey 101. Then I'll usually have a few other assorted bottles featuring an Irish, non peat single malt (for guests) and some other bourbons. 

Nice, good to have some bottles on hand. I try and always have a Dalmore Cigar Malt, Port Charlotte 10, and a Ledaig 10 around. I don't do a lot beyond single malts, but I'm trying to change that. I'm a peat guy, so I have lots of Laphroaig, Talisker, Bruichladdich etc. But I've been branching out into some Speyside's and Campbelltown stuff lately. Picked up an Aberlour Abunadh and a Kilkerran 12 recently. Both are rly nice! The Abunadh is unreal sherry bomb, and cask strength too. It will likely become part of my 'on hand' group going forward. Kilkerran has an earthy, grainy, fresh cut grass feel to it. Quite good for $75, and will have me trying some other Campbelltown's.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Love me some Octomore.  Got myself some of this:

ardmdw2009.jpg

Ardmore aged in ex-Laphroaig casks.

Let me know how that is. I've been eyeing a limited Talisker 8 from Artist Collective. I'm just a little leary of outside bottlers sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Nice, good to have some bottles on hand. I try and always have a Dalmore Cigar Malt, Port Charlotte 10, and a Ledaig 10 around. I don't do a lot beyond single malts, but I'm trying to change that. I'm a peat guy, so I have lots of Laphroaig, Talisker, Bruichladdich etc. But I've been branching out into some Speyside's and Campbelltown stuff lately. Picked up an Aberlour Abunadh and a Kilkerran 12 recently. Both are rly nice! The Abunadh is unreal sherry bomb, and cask strength too. It will likely become part of my 'on hand' group going forward. Kilkerran has an earthy, grainy, fresh cut grass feel to it. Quite good for $75, and will have me trying some other Campbelltown's.

Try Longrow if you want more peat from a Campbelltown.

22 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Let me know how that is. I've been eyeing a limited Talisker 8 from Artist Collective. I'm just a little leary of outside bottlers sometimes.

Personally I prefer the independent bottlers for something unique.  It'll be a while before I do open it as I'm trying to cut down on the bottles I've already cracked.

Edited by King Heffy

48 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Try Longrow if you want more peat from a Campbelltown.

Personally I prefer the independent bottlers for something unique.  It'll be a while before I do open it as I'm trying to cut down on the bottles I've already cracked.

I'll watch for Longrow.

Ya I agree, I have a few independent bottles that I've enjoyed. I have a couple rare Ledaig's right now. Blackadder Raw Cask 17 and Rest and Be Thankful 13. The Blackadder is incredible, but the 13 is quite harsh. The Blackadder has actual wood from the cask in it, super unique, and one of the coolest looking boxes! I have one of 297 out there. You can see all the sediment at the bottom. I give the bottle a shake before a pour to get some in each dram.ldgblk2001.jpg.b9b5a65d5eee6e50f7094ef7eda7580e.jpg

I'm always torn on cracking rare bottles, as on one hand I want to save it, but on the other, if it's awesome, I want the opportunity to grab another one lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I actually sip bourbon more these days.  Plenty with a nice mild smoke that are 1/2 the price of most single malts these days. The Chinese have bloated the price too much. 

Best whiskey I've ever had was this and I've had some very, very expensive single malts over the years.  
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old 2018 750ml | The Rare Whiskey Shop

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

I actually sip bourbon more these days.  Plenty with a nice mild smoke that are 1/2 the price of most single malts these days. The Chinese have bloated the price too much. 

Best whiskey I've ever had was this and I've had some very, very expensive single malts over the years.  
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old 2018 750ml | The Rare Whiskey Shop

I'm trying to do more bourbon lately, but I always find it quite spicy for whatever reason? And it makes it much harder for me to pick out individual flavors. Maybe I'm just not trying enough though, I should research it a bit more.

Best dram I've had so far is Bruichladdich Black Art 8.1. Had it at a tasting about a month back and was blown away. I've been into scotch for a while, but only been seriously into it for about 4 years now. I've never had anything on the upper expensive spectrum other than a Laphroaig 25, but even that isn't crazy when you see the prices of some bottles.

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I'm trying to do more bourbon lately, but I always find it quite spicy for whatever reason? And it makes it much harder for me to pick out individual flavors. Maybe I'm just not trying enough though, I should research it a bit more.

Best dram I've had so far is Bruichladdich Black Art 8.1. Had it at a tasting about a month back and was blown away. I've been into scotch for a while, but only been seriously into it for about 4 years now. I've never had anything on the upper expensive spectrum other than a Laphroaig 25, but even that isn't crazy when you see the prices of some bottles.

A friend's friend's dad is wealthy.  I don't mean rich I mean wealthy. He had over 500 bottles opened including some high high high end stuff. I sampled at will...lol

I once had a bartender pour me a 25 Lagavulin instead of a 16 year...a $350 pour vs a $35 one. He let me have it and rang it up as the 16.  I tipped him well :)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

A friend's friend's dad is wealthy.  I don't mean rich I mean wealthy. He had over 500 bottles opened including some high high high end stuff. I sampled at will...lol

I once had a bartender pour me a 25 Lagavulin instead of a 16 year...a $350 pour vs a $35 one. He let me have it and rang it up as the 16.  I tipped him well :)

Wow thats awesome. I would be going all out in there too haha.

I just ordered an Ancnoc 18 and they sent me the 24 instead. I offered to exchange it but they said free upgrade so I was happy. About a $70 difference, so I'm not complaining.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Tried another new (to me) Whisky.

Pretty damn good. Smooth with a spiced finish. 

Love Canadian Whiskies :gocan:

B3A10349-7787-41BB-A27D-98DBCE38E252.jpeg

With all the small batch distilleries opening up we're getting better for sure. 

• Cheers 1

Glenmorangie is the bottle this wk. Popular single malt Scotch. Maybe 40-45 $ CAD, I'd imagine? About 3500 Yen, here in Osaka

& it's pretty damn smooth, I gotta' say. Looking fwd to climbing the label-ladder, cos' scotches at only 30-40 bucks are quite nice. Can only imagine how good the expensive stuff must taste.

57 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Glenmorangie is the bottle this wk. Popular single malt Scotch. Maybe 40-45 $ CAD, I'd imagine? About 3500 Yen, here in Osaka

& it's pretty damn smooth, I gotta' say. Looking fwd to climbing the label-ladder, cos' scotches at only 30-40 bucks are quite nice. Can only imagine how good the expensive stuff must taste.

How expensive are the Japanese whiskies over there?  They're prohibitively expensive in NA; $200 for 12 years old.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How expensive are the Japanese whiskies over there?  They're prohibitively expensive in NA; $200 for 12 years old.

I'm sorry, but have hardly looked. Only started getting into whiskey about a yr ago. Mainly been goin with scotch & bourbon, so far.

Pretty strict on budget too. If it's beyond 30-35 bucks, usually don't look at it.

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Tried another new (to me) Whisky.

Pretty damn good. Smooth with a spiced finish. 

Love Canadian Whiskies :gocan:

B3A10349-7787-41BB-A27D-98DBCE38E252.jpeg

I picked that up last year actually, wasn't bad at all 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

First single malt I ever drank :)

I was at a house party drinking some gut rot Royal Reserve. A friend shows up with a bottle of that that he stole from some chick's dad at another party. He found it disgusting. It was my 19th birthday...I found it delicious and we traded bottles. Been a single malt fan ever since! 

• Cheers 3