The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

My last bottle before taking a break over the summer mos: Loch Lomond, 12 yr

The label promises characteristics of peach, pear, vanilla sweetness, with hints of peat & smoke. I tried to explain this to the Missus, but she just don't giva'damn!

:^) About the same price range of the aforementioned Glenmorangie.

So I cracked it open for a taste, & darn this stuff is smooth. If 40 buck$ is burnin' a hole in your pocket, there are worse paths you could tread. Salut!

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:25 PM, Gnarcore said:

I actually sip bourbon more these days.  Plenty with a nice mild smoke that are 1/2 the price of most single malts these days. The Chinese have bloated the price too much. 

Best whiskey I've ever had was this and I've had some very, very expensive single malts over the years.  
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old 2018 750ml | The Rare Whiskey Shop

I am on the hunt for this. Want to try it.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, Gnarcore said:

I have had a few. I used to go to a lot of tastings and such pre covid. Usually my whiskey bar always has 3 things: Lagavulin 16, Laphroaigh Quarter Cask and Wild Turkey 101. Then I'll usually have a few other assorted bottles featuring an Irish, non peat single malt (for guests) and some other bourbons. 

That's almost the same for me.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Tried another new (to me) Whisky.

Pretty damn good. Smooth with a spiced finish. 

Love Canadian Whiskies :gocan:

B3A10349-7787-41BB-A27D-98DBCE38E252.jpeg

I almost bought this today based off your post but couldn't pull it off. I don't like Canadian whisky it tastes like sugar water with limited flavour profile.

I will try it one day though as I have heard it is good. What is your go to?

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I am on the hunt for this. Want to try it.

It ain't cheap but worth the money just to try it. I have friends in the US enter the lotto every year for me. Nothing yet...lol

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I almost bought this today based off your post but couldn't pull it off. I don't like Canadian whisky it tastes like sugar water with limited flavour profile.

Give Lot 40 a shot; 100% rye without additives.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

It ain't cheap but worth the money just to try it. I have friends in the US enter the lotto every year for me. Nothing yet...lol

Yea I can't track it down. Once things settle down I'll just order it at the bar.

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea I can't track it down. Once things settle down I'll just order it at the bar.

Usually drops in November in BC with the premium release at the government stores.  Closest I've gotten so far was this stuff, which I do recommend:

pappy_12_1024x1024.jpg?v=1593416027

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Usually drops in November in BC with the premium release at the government stores.  Closest I've gotten so far was this stuff, which I do recommend:

pappy_12_1024x1024.jpg?v=1593416027

I am in a rural area I will keep my eyes open thanks for advice. I think you need to be in the bigger areas?

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah it's mostly the signature stores.

It's pretty much impossible to get a bottle of it as price goes up 20 or 30 times on resale. In the US it is all sold mostly by lotto draw other than to a few select purchasers. 

I traded a rare rye I snagged for the Rip Van Winkle 10 year. 

From BC Lix: 

PAPPY VAN WINKLE BOURBONS AND THE BUFFALO TRACE ANTIQUE COLLECTION

From January 28 at 8:00 a.m. to February 10 at 11:59 p.m., enter a draw for the opportunity to purchase whiskies from The Pappy Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace Antique Collections.

DRAW GUIDELINES:

• One entry per person per draw. Duplicate entries will be voided in advance of the draw.

• There will be a draw for each bottle. There are a total of 10 different whiskies available, therefore there will be 10 individual draws. Customers may enter as many draws as they wish. 

• If your name has been drawn, you will be notified via email after February 24, 2021 and will be required to confirm your intent to purchase within the timeframe provided. If we do not receive a response within that timeframe, we will move on to the next successful entrant.

• Once all customers have confirmed their intent to purchase, products will be delivered to the customer’s chosen pick-up location. A confirmation email will be sent indicating when each customer may come and claim their order. 

• Customers must be available to pick up and pay for the product(s) at their preferred store location from April 2 to 9, 2021.

• Identification will be required at time of purchase and must match the name provided on the entry form.

Weller's Bourbon is an oat bourbon from same company. People have come up with a way to mix it and another bourbon from them plus lime water from Kentucky to replicate the Pappy. Seems like a lot of work. 

Wellers on it's own is solid :)

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

For an everyday sipping whisky my go-to would be Forty Creek or their Double Barrel Select if I feel like spending a bit more.

I’m a simple guy and I haven’t expanded my tastes much. However I’ve been attempting to change that recently by trying different whiskies from different places.

I always seem to gravitate back to Canadian Whiskies though. Although I do like a good Scotch once and awhile. I really enjoyed the Monkey Shoulder I bought recently.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 6/3/2021 at 3:34 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

My last bottle before taking a break over the summer mos: Loch Lomond, 12 yr

The label promises characteristics of peach, pear, vanilla sweetness, with hints of peat & smoke. I tried to explain this to the Missus, but she just don't giva'damn!

:^) About the same price range of the aforementioned Glenmorangie.

So I cracked it open for a taste, & darn this stuff is smooth. If 40 buck$ is burnin' a hole in your pocket, there are worse paths you could tread. Salut!

Loch Lomond eh...

• Cheers 1