The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

18 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

What whisky is going down tonight?

Had some Ancnoc 24. Man she's smooth! Lots of stone fruit, but Ancnoc has a distinct bitter, almost rind-like flavor on the finish. Not my favorite, but nice and unique, which is something I value in my single malts. Give me something that isn't like the others. 

image.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

Had some Ancnoc 24. Man she's smooth! Lots of stone fruit, but Ancnoc has a distinct bitter, almost rind-like flavor on the finish. Not my favorite, but nice and unique, which is something I value in my single malts. Give me something that isn't like the others. 

image.png

Have you tried Auchentoson? Just wondering how it compares to this?

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't have much experience with Auchentoshan. I think I've only had the Auchentoshan Three Wood? It was good, but nothing really stood out for me as being unique or 'have to buy again' if that makes sense. IMO, it was trying to be in the sweet section with the sherry and PX casks, which it then balanced with a peppery finish which isn't my favorite, and it didn't finish long.

Granted, the three wood is like 1/3rd the price of the 24 yr, so that has to be considered lol.

41 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I don't have much experience with Auchentoshan. I think I've only had the Auchentoshan Three Wood? It was good, but nothing really stood out for me as being unique or 'have to buy again' if that makes sense. IMO, it was trying to be in the sweet section with the sherry and PX casks, which it then balanced with a peppery finish which isn't my favorite, and it didn't finish long.

Granted, the three wood is like 1/3rd the price of the 24 yr, so that has to be considered lol.

Oh yea no kidding 18+ gets pricey.

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

It's closer to Irish due to the triple distillation.  I've had some great independent bottlings of it, but wasn't a huge fan of their official ones.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

1685A253-6DCF-401A-95E1-020E1DA8A262.jpeg

This one is a classic that’s been around a while but I hadn’t personally tried yet. One of the smoothest Bourbon’s I’ve ever had. I think I might have a new favourite. Cheers!

That is a delicious bourbon that is reasonably priced. I have nailed a few of those before. 

Makes a fantastic camping whisky.

One day I will go down south for a bourbon tour and Scotland for scotch.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:36 PM, Chris12345 said:

That is a delicious bourbon that is reasonably priced. I have nailed a few of those before. 

Makes a fantastic camping whisky.

One day I will go down south for a bourbon tour and Scotland for scotch.

Done both and recommend highly!! 

Sadly when I did the scotch tour I was still a relative neophite and skipped where would become my favorite whiskey region: Islay. Visiting the Lagavulin distillery is a major bucket list item now. 

Also hit up the Jameson and Bushmills (protestant whiskey!) Distilleries while in Ireland. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

1685A253-6DCF-401A-95E1-020E1DA8A262.jpeg

This one is a classic that’s been around a while but I hadn’t personally tried yet. One of the smoothest Bourbon’s I’ve ever had. I think I might have a new favourite. Cheers!

Big fan of Makers. First had when a buddy from Kentucky had a derby party and we drank mint julips. 

I used to be more about the Woodford but lean more to Makers now. Wild Turkey 101 beats em both and is cheaper though! :)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Big fan of Makers. First had when a buddy from Kentucky had a derby party and we drank mint julips. 

I used to be more about the Woodford but lean more to Makers now. Wild Turkey 101 beats em both and is cheaper though! :)

I haven’t tried either the Woodford or the Wild Turkey 101 yet. Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll have to give ‘em a try!

9 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Done both and recommend highly!! 

Sadly when I did the scotch tour I was still a relative neophite and skipped where would become my favorite whiskey region: Islay. Visiting the Lagavulin distillery is a major bucket list item now. 

Also hit up the Jameson and Bushmills (protestant whiskey!) Distilleries while in Ireland. 

Islay my favorite for sure. I go back and forth between Laphroaig and Lagavulin. What time of year would you go?

I always get caught because I love BC summers but hate the winters. Hard to leave BC in the summer.

Edited by Chris12345

29 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Islay my favorite for sure. I go back and forth between Laphroaig and Lagavulin. What time of year would you go?

I always get caught because I love BC summers but hate the winters. Hard to leave BC in the summer.

I was over in Europe for 7 months so went in August and it was amazing. I feel you about the summers here it's worth losing a late summer week to go there and have a far better chance at nice weather. 

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I was over in Europe for 7 months so went in August and it was amazing. I feel you about the summers here it's worth losing a late summer week to go there and have a far better chance at nice weather. 

Thanks good tip.

22 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Pretty sure Jameson was founded by a Catholic.  McNulty is to blame here.

Grabbed me some of this the other day:

126915.jpg

I'm running out of room.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty sure Jameson was founded by a Catholic.  McNulty is to blame here.

Grabbed me some of this the other day:

126915.jpg

I'm running out of room.

John Jameson was from Scotland and most likely protestant. Bushmills while being from the North has Catholic roots. 

That whole thing is an American invention. Jamesons is just better imo. Now some Writers Tears...that is my fave Irish whiskey :)

• Cheers 1