The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

The Shebeen is great, for those that live on the mainland ;) . In Victoria we have a few decent places to score single malt. Selection wise most people find it surprising to find out that the Canoe Club has an amazing scotch list. Brewpub with a scotch list. Beauty. Some of their finer stuff has been sitting for a bit, not that there is anything very wrong with that, but it does continue to oxidize and change the flavours after opening. The longest I ever held on to a bottle was over a year, after opening. Bowmore 18. What did I notice about the changes in palate after nearly 400 days? Inconclusive. I had better try again.

If I'm doing mixed drinks, Fireball and Ginger Ale go phenomenally well together. Not too sweet and a nice little kick to it.

I'll co-sign the Canoe Club rec. Irish Times and Bard & Banker also have OK lists, but Canoe Club has far superior service.

Edited by King Heffy

I've been on a Rye kick lately. Not sweet like my beloved Kentucky Bourbon, just spice and burn. Really wish I could get a better selection of Rye Whiskeys in PA, but this state's liquor distribution laws are downright draconian. This stuff helps forget poor Canucks efforts like tonight: Bulleit-Rye.jpg

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I'd like to give that Bulleit rye a go. See if I can find it somewhere. I'm sure that as much as I love Boston Sours, switching out the bourbon (which is Bulleit when I make 'em) for rye won't be a failure.

If I'm doing mixed drinks, Fireball and Ginger Ale go phenomenally well together. Not too sweet and a nice little kick to it.

I'll co-sign the Canoe Club rec. Irish Times and Bard & Banker also have OK lists, but Canoe Club has far superior service.

Yeah I think my initial opinion was a little overboard. I will rescind down to acceptable if wanting whiskey, which isn't bad. Veneto has some good whiskey to choose from as well. Lots of bourbons, and a few good scotches.

^Those commercials are pretty good. Blended whisky (like William Lawson's) has never been my thing. It always seemed to be lacking something.

Where is this?????

210 Carrall Street, if you haven't found it already... http://www.shebeen.ca/

Everyone gather 'round with a dram and enjoy these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ga6_17skk

Edited by Green Building

• 1 month later...

I've tried this:

1792_Ridgemont_reserve_bourbon.jpg

I haven't been particularly impressed. The 1792 is in no way a bad bourbon, it just seems to be a touch harsh and unrefined for a bourbon of its price point. I'd buy it again, but it cost more than Buffalo Trace which is far better and more rounded for less money.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

^^^ Haven't had that one yet. I didn't bother to re-read my posts in this thread to see if I am repeating, but I enjoyed a few ounces of Woodford Reserve 4 Wood. My god, the nose on that sucker was outstanding. Seriously, outstanding. It was so smooth to drink it almost felt like there was nothing there, but the smell, straight up orgasmic for Bourbon fans. Side note: as it is barrelled in 3 other kinds of wood other than charred American Oak barrels, it isn't Bourbon anymore, but nobody cares about that do they?

Just opened another bottle of :

emzm.jpg

It's a nice bourbon, very nice. At %50 ABV out of the bottle, it isn't for people who don't like stronger than usual booze [but none of them would be here]. I generally don't water it down to much more past the 5 drops I normally add to sipping whisky. The flavour changes way too much for me, and I feel like the bourbon is less flavourful as a result. Maybe I will try extra diluting again tonight, this is important research after all, just to see if I still feel the same way.

Yeah, I like drinking.

Two Bourbons I avoid at all costs, just out of personal lack of preference, are Jim Beam and Knob Creek. Why does Knob Creek have to taste like dates and raisins. It's like a damn Christmas cake. Just not for me. And Jim Beam, well, it's Jim Beam, nuff said.

Cheers!

Edited by Green Building