The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is the new personnel playing so well?

Sixteen W's

This isn't a complaint but I don't understand how players like Santorelli, Richardson, and Stanton are playing so well.

Santorelli and Richardson are on 20 goal paces, as well as being extremely versatile. Stanton should have been a nothing pickup, but he has more points than Hamhuis or Edler.

Did they all just suddenly become better players, is it the coaching, or something else?

Coaching

Torts sees potential in players, but the reason why he is so good at bringing that out in them is because he gives them the confidence and the chanceS to succeed.

Could AV ever bring out the best in Santo or Richie? I don't think so.

Everyone is buying into Torts

He isn't a Stanley Cup winning coach by accident

Edit: anyone who has ever played the game and come off a good shift and then been patted on the back by your coach knows how that makes you want to try even harder the next shift out there. Again, would AV have done that? I'm not so sure. Torts is a "I will go into battle for you" kind of coach. He is lighting the fire in our guys from top to bottom like many of us felt we knew he was going to do, something we ALL knew we needed that we weren't getting under AV.

Can be anything. Sometimes it's a good player in a bad situation and sometimes being moved is a wake up call.

Look at Grabner, took being traded and waived till he stopped being lazy.

Ours were odd men out but here they got the chance to shine here. Couple that with a coach that likes their games and we get where we are now.

Santorelli (Vancouver boy!) and richardson are highly motivated guys trying to prove their nhl players. Their also playing for contracts. Ryan Stanton has just been a perfect pickup. I mean hes fit right in and can play with almost anyone on the team. Bieksa and him make a mean duo. The majority of the credit should go to torts though. Torts and the coaching staff has done a wonderful job.

Now if gillis could only pickup another top 9 center...

Coaching. He's a coach who understands the game better than AV ever did. He knows how to get players to respond, and as long as they buy in they will get their chances to shine. Mistakes should not be punished, they should be learning experiences to grow from and become a better player. Torts seems to grab that notion and ride it; he's the type of coach who hates lazy play as opposed to a bad / mistimed pinch at the line, for example. If the bad pinch happens and then the offender just kinda lazes his way back without much effort I'd imagine the earful would be a lot stronger compared with the one where it's a bad pinch and then the offender skates his ass off to try and salvage the defensive play.

In either case AV would doghouse. That's the difference in performance. All of the guys made errors to start the year, but Torts stuck with them because they tried hard, all the time. Now it's paying dividends. 3 strong, good hands and fast players who work hard both on and off the puck. That's where playoff games are truly won.

This isn't a complaint but I don't understand how players like Santorelli, Richardson, and Stanton are playing so well.

Santorelli and Richardson are on 20 goal paces, as well as being extremely versatile. Stanton should have been a nothing pickup, but he has more points than Hamhuis or Edler.

Did they all just suddenly become better players, is it the coaching, or something else?

Well, there's no doubt that Santorelli, Richardson, and Stanton have a lot to prove. Their careers are on the line really. This could be a make or break NHL season for all three.

Add that to Tortorella's system of accountability and these guys are really playing at the top of their potential. And a lot of people weren't expecting this much from them either, which I'm sure they felt, too. That's also motivating to prove naysayers wrong.

You don't often see guys playing to their true potential like this. Good for them ... and good for us!

Santo and Rich would have been revolving door 4th liners under AV, and that's the only "chance" they would have been given.

Torts knows how to motivate individual players, whereas AV tried the same thing for every player. AV's method worked on Kesler and Burrows and a few others. Didn't work for players like Ballard or Kassian. Hodgson.

Well, there's no doubt that Santorelli, Richardson, and Stanton have a lot to prove. Their careers are on the line really. This could be a make or break NHL season for all three.

Add that to Tortorella's system of accountability and these guys are really playing at the top of their potential. And a lot of people weren't expecting this much from them either, which I'm sure they felt, too. That's also motivating to prove naysayers wrong.

You don't often see guys playing to their true potential like this. Good for them ... and good for us!

Richardson's career was never on the line. If he's not putting up points, he's great defensively and an elite faceoff taker and penalty killer. Remember he signed like the first day of free agency.

Richardson's career was never on the line. If he's not putting up points, he's great defensively and an elite faceoff taker and penalty killer. Remember he signed like the first day of free agency.

True enough, but I didn't say "was" either. I knew someone might call me on him more than the others.

Still, say he came here and underperformed or had limited success like many thought, his value starts to go down at 28... or that perception, especially after leaving LA.

So in that regard, he has something to prove that he's not in that phase if his career yet.

Man, everyone is so quick to throw AV under the bus. There were plenty of players that had career years under him. You want to argue that the success of those three guys this year is due to Torts? Then you could agrue that the success of the Sedins is due to AV.

AV was not a bad coach. You don't have that kind of success if you're a bad coach, regardless of how good the team is. A bad coach turns a good lineup into a bad team, or bad lineup into a very bad team. A good coach turns a bad lineup in a good team, or good lineup into a very good team.

Coaching

Torts sees potential in players, but the reason why he is so good at bringing that out in them is because he gives them the confidence and the chanceS to succeed.

Could AV ever bring out the best in Santo or Richie? I don't think so.

Everyone is buying into Torts

He isn't a Stanley Cup winning coach by accident

Edit: anyone who has ever played the game and come off a good shift and then been patted on the back by your coach knows how that makes you want to try even harder the next shift out there. Again, would AV have done that? I'm not so sure. Torts is a "I will go into battle for you" kind of coach. He is lighting the fire in our guys from top to bottom like many of us felt we knew he was going to do, something we ALL knew we needed that we weren't getting under AV.

Agreed. If AV was still coach and santo was on fire as the 3c he would've never tried kes with the twins and santo as 2c. BTW i see a lot of chemistry forming between our 2nd and 3rd line at the moment.

Man, everyone is so quick to throw AV under the bus. There were plenty of players that had career years under him. You want to argue that the success of those three guys this year is due to Torts? Then you could agrue that the success of the Sedins is due to AV.

AV was not a bad coach. You don't have that kind of success if you're a bad coach, regardless of how good the team is. A bad coach turns a good lineup into a bad team, or bad lineup into a very bad team. A good coach turns a bad lineup in a good team, or good lineup into a very good team.

I think AV was a great coach but he had a couple major issue of his coaching style, such as giving rookies a chance and in this case trying new things in the top 6 rather then moving the wingers.

wait, stanton's career is already on the line in his rookie season?

also enjoyed seeing stanton drop the gloves last night. i don't expect him to be a fighter by any means, but it seemed like a "becoming a canuck" type of moment. it was an emotional outburst cause someone messed with his teammate. loved it.

wait, stanton's career is already on the line in his rookie season?

also enjoyed seeing stanton drop the gloves last night. i don't expect him to be a fighter by any means, but it seemed like a "becoming a canuck" type of moment. it was an emotional outburst cause someone messed with his teammate. loved it.

Well, where was his career going with the Blackhawks?

There is no use being sensible on this board...

Who do you think you are, making sense on CDC?

Well, where was his career going with the Blackhawks?

not down the tubes if thats what you're trying to say. he was rockford's best defenseman last year. he got picked up off waivers because he should be in the NHL clearly, and this is just the start. he proved himself in the A, and to me, he can only go up from here.

Archived