The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

its been three years and still nobody protects sedins

boss

its gotten so bad that heck the sedins decided to hit themselves, which I don't mind but heck why the heck does nobody protect them?

tonight perfect example kyle clifford makes to huge hits on them nobody said a word to him...

sharks in the playoffs, sedins were getting hit right and left well ask yourself one question do you see any stars on boston getting hit repeatedly like the sedins? I watched boston games if you hit anyone like clifford was, well you pay! Boston makes you pay with every hit you make on there top guys why the heck does this team not have this mentality. Im sick of seeing the sedins getting run over by teams like La,Sanjose,Boston etc.

Just remember one thing who protected pavel bure well gino odjick did and who protected wayne grezkty well marty did. Canucks need to throw a big boy with the sedins not kesler im all for giving kassian a shot and keeping him there at-least he could protect our stars or even archibald .

I do slightly agree. I think Torts needs to have that talk with Kassian. The "play well and you're in" talk. I don't know how much video he's going over with him but I really hope he can get the consistent ideas in his head. It's there! It's all there! Too bad we see it every 5-10 games only..

its gotten so bad that heck the sedins decided to hit themselves, which I don't mind but heck why the heck does nobody protect them?

tonight perfect example kyle clifford makes to huge hits on them nobody said a word to him...

sharks in the playoffs, sedins were getting hit right and left well ask yourself one question do you see any stars on boston getting hit repeatedly like the sedins? I watched boston games if you hit anyone like clifford was, well you pay! Boston makes you pay with every hit you make on there top guys why the heck does this team not have this mentality. Im sick of seeing the sedins getting run over by teams like La,Sanjose,Boston etc.

Just remember one thing who protected pavel bure well gino odjick did and who protected wayne grezkty well marty did. Canucks need to throw a big boy with the sedins not kesler im all for giving kassian a shot and keeping him there at-least he could protect our stars or even archibald .

They are causalities of bad reffing I'm not surprised they had no points tonight and against san jose the game before. SJ and LA are abusing them and refs for some reason don't care when it happens to them. But the refs care when it happens to brown, doughty and couture. I don't how you explain that but my point is if we do get someone to protect them we will be short handed for long parts of the game so we have no choice but to stay course.

Don't even compare us to Boston they get away with everything with the refs and we don't; we can't copy them it would be a disaster.

Bure was completely capable of protecting himself, see Shane Churla. Secondly, if the hits of the Sedins are clean hits then do please shutup. Hitting is part of the game and I hate it when idiots pick fights over clean hits.

Bure was completely capable of protecting himself, see Shane Churla. Secondly, if the hits of the Sedins are clean hits then do please shutup. Hitting is part of the game and I hate it when idiots pick fights over clean hits.

your logic boston is full of idoits then?

a stanely cup, a game 7 appearance last year, teams think twice before hitting there star plays so they are idiots according to your logic?

your logic boston is full of idoits then?

a stanely cup, a game 7 appearance last year, teams think twice before hitting there star plays so they are idiots according to your logic?

Let me get this right. You are asking a Canuck fan on a Canuck forum if I think the Boston Bruins are idiots?

Why yes, yes I do, and this proves?

They showed it on the intermission, Sestito goes over to Clifford and asks him to fight, Clifford smirks and then skates away.

Really I don't think there was anything done to the Sedins this game that they couldn't handle. It'd be nice if the refs called the hooking, holding, and late interference that gets perpetrated against the Sedins the same way they call the Sedins for similar infractions - or the way similar infractions get called when done to the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, etc. - but we're all well beyond the point of believing that that will ever happen. I think the refs treat them as if they were one player; you can hook or hold a Sedin twice as much as you could any other player before there's a penalty call, because there are two of them. I'd be okay with that so long as they were also allowed to get away with as much as can be done to them, but we all know that ain't the case. You can't start a fight with a guy every time he gets away with blatant interference on Hank or Dan, you'd run out of players by the first intermission.

Every so often I think the coaches have to make a point, when there's a game like tonight where a lot is being let go, make sure everyone knows to take some extra liberties on the other team and if the refs want to have that double standard, let em and make em look bad for it. If you don't even try to take the same sort of liberties the opposition is taking, then they skate scot-free. If our guys had got the arm around Kopitar or Williams a few more times, who knows, I know we all assume they'd call it but maybe they don't, then the Kings don't get a goal on one of those plays. Or if they do, it makes the refs look bad and they'll have to call it the next time it happens to us.

too many people underestimate the twins. those guys are probably the two of the most conditioned guys in the league, they can take a few licks here and there. they're star players and you gotta play rough against the star players. that's just how this sport is but they're so aware of their surroundings they can avoid just about anything and still be in control of the play

i get what you're saying tho, for years this team just let other teams take liberties against our boys and get away with murder. this team doesn't need an enforcer, or a tough guy who's sole purpose is to intimate the other guys-- but to rough it up when it's necessary to send a message, saying "hey, next time we meet, you're not gonna do this again"

IT's not that the Sedins can't take the physical play, it's how it effects their effectiveness. Both SJS and LA played them the same...hitting and hacking them at every opportunity within the limits the league appears willing to allow. The Sedins have zero points in both those games and that is not a coincidence. As durable as they are, the book has been written...hit them, hold them and hack them and they will be far less effective.

IN addition to the physical play, LA plays close-quarters hockey giving no free space to the Sedins to cycle. What we saw tonight was what has happened against these teams before...the Sedins are too slow to be a threat to LA off the rush and the cycle is ineffective against the physical play and tight quarters LA plays.

I thin Bieksa and Hammer did a pretty good job of running Brown tonight. The only thing I would have liked is if Sestito had not given Clifford a choice and taken the instigator. The Nucks know they are going to have to kill some penalties, may as well kill one that sends a message.

Absolutely agree that sestito should take the instigator and pummel clifford while he turtles.

And another of our players should start another fight so that the linesmen can't save clifford.

Send a message that you can't hit our stars.

This is the nhl, not beer league. There is a lot at stake.

It doesn't matter how mentally and physically tough the sedins are.

They should not have to take that crap.

They are stars in this league and it's about time they were protected like the other stars.

Tonight would've been a great time to demonstrate to the league that you can't hit our stars.

Torts please tell the team that an instigator penalty is a minor annoyance when the integrity of our team is at stake.

This.

Every time someone lays a hit there's not going to be a scrum about it.

I think the difference is that every team has one or two superstars. Those guys wear an untouchable tag, except players like Clifford (who plays his role perfectly) hit one of our untouchables and should have been reminded immediately not to do that so they think twice before doing it again.

If you played the game, this is an obvious one... The same reason 98% of the players polled in the NHL want fighting in the game.

If people are taking runs at the sedins like Lupul in the Toronto game, sure punch his teeth in, but if it's a clean hit, keep your head up Sedins.

I don't like dropping the mitts if it's a clean hit but if people are going for dirty hits, that's the time to fight. The Sedins are premium players, only way to get the puck is to hit them, unless the goalie freezes the puck, so they will be hit lots. If Canucks fight everytime they get hit. We lose a lot of players.

IT's not that the Sedins can't take the physical play, it's how it effects their effectiveness. Both SJS and LA played them the same...hitting and hacking them at every opportunity within the limits the league appears willing to allow. The Sedins have zero points in both those games and that is not a coincidence. As durable as they are, the book has been written...hit them, hold them and hack them and they will be far less effective.

IN addition to the physical play, LA plays close-quarters hockey giving no free space to the Sedins to cycle. What we saw tonight was what has happened against these teams before...the Sedins are too slow to be a threat to LA off the rush and the cycle is ineffective against the physical play and tight quarters LA plays.

I thin Bieksa and Hammer did a pretty good job of running Brown tonight. The only thing I would have liked is if Sestito had not given Clifford a choice and taken the instigator. The Nucks know they are going to have to kill some penalties, may as well kill one that sends a message.

It was a pretty physical game last night. I thought Van dominated SJ and the Kings did thye reverse especially after they got up a couple of goals. IMHO fans should keep that LA game as a reference point for what playoff hockey means. In comparison to the Blues game which I thought would be much tougher than it was the Kings brought it all. Most complete physical game I have seen to date this season.

The Twins have upped their physical play a lot this season. I suspect Dan is nursing an injury but they both are instigating more contact. If they up their physical play to the Zetterbeg level, I wish it could be to a Forsberg, then they will do just fine. Opposing teams play them the way they do because it is usually their only option. Trying to neutralize their puck possession time is probably the #1 goal going into games. Having secondary scoring helps. Their line did not fair well last night but the

5 -1 score did not reflect the game.

For all those who wanted Sestito cut I hope they watched his game last night. There are regular season games and there are playoff games. Last night is why you have to have big men on a roster.

Archived