The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks are 8th in the West and 9th in the League?

Derp...

Just looking at the standings and wondering is re-alignment really working?

If the playoff's started today. First round match ups would be:

Anaheim vs Vancouver

Colorado vs Minnesota

Chicago vs St. Louis

Phoenix vs San Jose

LA 12th in the League standings would not make the playoffs...

Most people probably had Chicago vs St. Louis in the Western Conference Finals before the season and now they would be matched up in the first round.

I realize it's early in the season, but this result is not too far fetched from what the actual outcome might be.

In turn the 19th place team in the League, Montreal currently, would make the playoffs. This just does not seem to add up to me.

If their are teams within the top 16 in the league not making the playoffs and getting lottery picks, while a team or two in the bottom third of the league makes the playoffs and has to settle with a 15 to 17 pick, won't that just increase the imbalance between east and west?

Good teams in the West can get a better pick than a poor team in the east just because they are in the west.

I know that there are a ton of variables, and the only constant is change, but this just seems like an odd loophole that the league could change eventually.

Maybe this doesn't matter to people, but if we had a a young team in 4 years that was a bottom third team in the league I might want that lottery pick more than a playoff spot against the best team in the west. While a team like Boston or Toronto get a top 10 pick even though they are 7 or 8 spots ahead of us in the League standings.

Wow thanks for pointing e standings part out. Has been a lot of West/East games so far where the West has come out on top, which is partly to due with the standings, however I still do hate the new divisions, liked the other old playoff format better (opinion could change as years go by, but I doubt it)

Every sport has stacked divisions. At least it's almost always a competitive and entertaining game(s) in the West

Agreed. Similar to how in the NBA, the Southwest and Central division teams are pretty much all playoff contenders, we play in a tough division. I like it though, it's more fun to watch and I'd much rather have the team playing in a tougher conference and be conditioned for competitive playoff hockey, as opposed to playing in a conference with no competition whatsoever and getting steamrolled in the playoffs like the last couple of years.

Anaheim vs Vancouver

Colorado vs Minnesota

Chicago vs St. Louis

Phoenix vs San Jose

Most people probably had Chicago vs St. Louis in the Western Conference Finals before the season and now they would be matched up in the first round.

I realize it's early in the season, but this result is not too far fetched from what the actual outcome might be.

In turn the 19th place team in the League, Montreal currently, would make the playoffs. This just does not seem to add up to me.

If their are teams within the top 16 in the league not making the playoffs and getting lottery picks, while a team or two in the bottom third of the league makes the playoffs and has to settle with a 15 to 17 pick, won't that just increase the imbalance between east and west?

Good teams in the West can get a better pick than a poor team in the east just because they are in the west.

I know that there are a ton of variables, and the only constant is change, but this just seems like an odd loophole that the league could change eventually.

Maybe this doesn't matter to people, but if we had a a young team in 4 years that was a bottom third team in the league I might want that lottery pick more than a playoff spot against the best team in the west. While a team like Boston or Toronto get a top 10 pick even though they are 7 or 8 spots ahead of us in the League standings.

I love divisional playoffs and have missed them. Glad they're back..........now we'll see real rivalries grow.

I love/hate that we've gone from arguably the worst division in the league to the division with the highest competition.

Love it cause it's forcing our team to play better game in game out, no more easy division titles

Hate it cause we aren't going to get easy wins as much :P

Western teams being better than Eastern teams is not something realignment affects. Those same crappy Eastern teams would make the playoffs under the old system.

End of the day, one team wins the cup. If you are beaten out by 3 of your division rivals and 2 wildcard rivals then you are not cup calibre, who cares whether or not you make the playoffs.

A better stat to look at is probably the point%, rather than pts. Obviously not all teams have played the same amount of games. We are currently 13th in the league.

11 out of 15 teams in the bottom of the standings are from the East. Heck the flames would be in playoff contention in the East lol

Western teams being better than Eastern teams is not something realignment affects. Those same crappy Eastern teams would make the playoffs under the old system.

End of the day, one team wins the cup. If you are beaten out by 3 of your division rivals and 2 wildcard rivals then you are not cup calibre, who cares whether or not you make the playoffs.

1st paragraph is bang on.

2nd paragraph I disagree with. Who cares?

Owners for one. Playoffs generate extra revenue.

Players. You can't win the cup if you don't make the playoffs. Even if your team isn't going to end up competing for the cup it's still an achievement and something I'm sure every player prefers if they feel they deserve to be there over other teams in conference.

Fans. As painful as the last two playoffs have been Id take them over missing the playoffs completely.

Local business.

Lots of people have a vested interest in their team making the playoffs. And if it is unjust it's a bummer for those people. While your right about the West/ East dynamic and that realignment doesn't change anything in that regard, it does leave room for inferior intra-conference teams to make the playoffs over more deserving ones.

Anaheim vs Vancouver

Colorado vs Minnesota

Chicago vs St. Louis

Phoenix vs San Jose

lets assume if the playoffs were to start in 3 games (20 game season). LA would have 3 more to play... and would only need 2 to leapfrog vancouver into 8th..

Archived