GA/G- 2.60 13th

5-5 F/A- 1.05 12th

PP- 9.7% 27th

PK- 89.7% 1st

Shots For- 32.0 6th

Shots A- 27.6 8th

Faceoff%- 51.6 12th

GDF- Even 16th

Below is the importance of Goals allowed, faceoff% and goal differential(GDF)

There are many stats in today's game that we use to evaluate our teams players and team. But some of them are more important than others.

Many of us remember during 2011 how our team played during games, how they never gave up and fought till the end but for stats forget much about it.

That year our team had the lowest GAA out of the league and highest goal differential and made the finals. But guess who had the second highest goal differential that year, thats right, it was Boston.

Boston also had the third lowest GAA in the league that year. As we all know both teams made the finals.

Lets take a look at the past 5 cup winners GAA and goal differential league ranks

Chicago 2013- GAA 1st GDF 1st

LA 2012- GAA 2nd GDF 11th

Boston 2011- GAA 3rd GDF 2nd

Chicago 2010- GAA 5th GDF 2nd

Pitt 2009- GAA 18th GDF 9th

You will see that these stats are a very good indicator of a teams success. However, you will also recognize that their are exceptions to this in LA, Philadelphia(2010) and Pittsburgh and you'll see that all these exceptions were good puck possession teams while Pittsburgh has the Crosby/Malkin effect.

How this relates to us:That 2011 was a force of nature and took the league by storm as it was tops in league in GAA,GDF and faceoff % and many other categories( First time this happened since they started tracking FO%).

Right now here's where the Vancouver Canucks Rank in these important categories

Vancouver 2014 GAA- 21st GDF- 15th FO%- 11th

As of right now we are a middle pack team. Although I recognize its early in the season and these stats will change even today, but my point is these team stats are very important.

I am not saying this the best way to tell if your teams elite or not and that it's always right but it gives a pretty good indication as to where the team is and how it will do in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

No surprise good teams win the cup.

These teams aren't just good they are good in certain areas of the game like GAA. The thing is if you don't have a true offense like Chicago you better have a good GAA or you won't do well against teams like LA. In 2011 we could win games 1-0 now if we score one goal, we lose.

All of our regulation losses we have scored one goal

SJ 1-4 Loss

SJ 1-4 Loss

Mon 1-4 Loss

Col 1-3 Loss

Det 1-2 Loss

LA 1-5 Loss

To beat teams like LA and Boston we have to beat them 1-0 as painful as it is to watch and I am talking about todays LA not the one we beat a few years ago in the first round that allowed 6 goals.

These teams aren't just good they are good in certain areas of the game like GAA. The thing is if you don't have a true offense like Chicago you better have a good GAA or you won't do well against teams like LA. In 2011 we could win games 1-0 now if we score one goal, we lose.

SJ 1-4 Loss

SJ 1-4 Loss

Mon 1-4 Loss

Col 1-3 Loss

Det 1-2 Loss

LA 1-5 Loss

To beat teams like LA and Boston we have to beat them 1-0 as painful as it is to watch and I am talking about todays LA not the one we beat a few years ago in the first round that allowed 6 goals.

That is a very good point, also games that the Canucks have kept the opponents under 25 shots they are a perfect 8-0-0.

SJ 1-4 Loss

SJ 1-4 Loss

Mon 1-4 Loss

Col 1-3 Loss

Det 1-2 Loss

LA 1-5 Loss

3.6 GAA for those games. As the past has shown, our offense will not come close to that.

The numbers posted by guys like Quick, Crawford and Thomas when they won the cup are ridiculous, I don't see Luongo giving that kind of consistent performance. Even Rask at a losing effort had great numbers.

That is a very good point, also games that the Canucks have kept the opponents under 25 shots they are a perfect 8-0-0.

I know the boys are still learning the system and as my grand father always said it takes 1-3 months to develop a habit. If they can improve their gaa per game by continuing to take guys ways from the front of net, blocking shots and stoping the odd man rushes this team is a contender no doubt but they need to prove they can beat the St.Louis, Boston and LA type of play. The second line yesterday really impressed me they were generating quality chances against some very big and talented players because they are all fast skaters.

Speed, Skill, Size are like rock paper scissors.

Skill beats Speed. Vancouver beats Chicago

Speed beats Size. Chicago beats Boston

Size beats Skill. Boston beats Vancouver

That's why Toronto came so close(in my mind they won) against Boston and Chicago beat Boston.

LA has speed and size and same with Boston.

3.6 GAA for those games. As the past has shown, our offense will not come close to that.

The numbers posted by guys like Quick, Crawford and Thomas when they won the cup are ridiculous, I don't see Luongo giving that kind of consistent performance. Even Rask at a losing effort had great numbers.

Its less about Luongo I know if he played for Boston he would win the vezina every year no doubt. Its about they way our defense plays(we don't need new defensemen just need to play differently). This team if playing right has the potential to do great things and beat any team in the playoffs(even with bad reffing).

I know the boys are still learning the system and as my grand father always said it takes 1-3 months to develop a habit. If they can improve their gaa per game by continuing to take guys ways from the front of net, blocking shots and stoping the odd man rushes this team is a contender no doubt but they need to prove they can beat the St.Louis, Boston and LA type of play. The second line yesterday really impressed me they were generating quality chances against some very big and talented players because they are all fast skaters.

Speed, Skill, Size are like rock paper scissors.

Skill beats Speed. Vancouver beats Chicago

Speed beats Size. Chicago beats Boston

Size beats Skill. Boston beats Vancouver

That's why Toronto came so close(in my mind they won) against Boston and Chicago beat Boston.

LA has speed and size and same with Boston.

Dangerous to suggest we're more skilled than Chicago?

Anyway; we're a middle of the pack / favorite to get a 7th or 8th play off spot. I'm ok with that, enjoying the fight in the team, last night not being a great example. These stats like many others reflect that position.

Dangerous to suggest we're more skilled than Chicago?

Anyway; we're a middle of the pack / favorite to get a 7th or 8th play off spot. I'm ok with that, enjoying the fight in the team, last night not being a great example. These stats like many others reflect that position.

Chicago is faster then us no doubt but that speed means nothing cause we aren't big so we can keep up. They have speed and skill. We do too but we just are slower then them.

I am enjoying the fight in the team I just see what this team is capable of and it excites me like it did in 2011. But I know that we are not the 2011 team and I am just pointing out how we are different from that year. But in my opinion the 2011 and 2013 playoffs are very important as it gave the boys valuable experience in the playoffs and they know what it takes to win.

I'd say that with the team we have right now, I can't see us going deep in the playoffs. Just think do you guys really believe that while guys Santorelli and Richardson, while they have been excellent and have provided excellent secondary scoring, are the type of guys we really want to rely on for secondary scoring in the playoffs this years. Santorelli, Richardson, HIggins, Hansen, Kassian they are all great players, no doubt. But let's be honest, I wouldn't feel confident for secondary scoring from guys like them in the playoffs. Teams are going to figure this out, all they would have to do is shut down the Sedin line like always and can easily beat us.

Look at a team like LA, apart from Kopitar, Brown, they had guys like Richards, Carter, Williams for secondary scoring. Same thing with Boston, had Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron apart from Lucic and Krecji. Same thing with Chicago. apart from Kane and Toews, they had Sharp, Hossa, Bolland,.

I'd say we just need a top 6 forward for a deep playoff run

I'd say that with the team we have right now, I can't see us going deep in the playoffs. Just think do you guys really believe that while guys Santorelli and Richardson, while they have been excellent and have provided excellent secondary scoring, are the type of guys we really want to rely on for secondary scoring in the playoffs this years. Santorelli, Richardson, HIggins, Hansen, Kassian they are all great players, no doubt. But let's be honest, I wouldn't feel confident for secondary scoring from guys like them in the playoffs. Teams are going to figure this out, all they would have to do is shut down the Sedin line like always and can easily beat us.

Look at a team like LA, apart from Kopitar, Brown, they had guys like Richards, Carter, Williams for secondary scoring. Same thing with Boston, had Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron apart from Lucic and Krecji. Same thing with Chicago. apart from Kane and Toews, they had Sharp, Hossa, Bolland,.

I'd say we just need a top 6 forward for a deep playoff run

I know what your getting at. You want some guy who can score consistently when the guys like the sedins aren't but guess what, those guys are hard to get and we sacrifice the future to get them(Pahlson and Roy). GMMG has learned not to do that anymore as he said in his year end interview last year that he won't give up picks for rental players anymore. What he is doing now the is best way to do it as you lose nothing but a roster spot and cap from free agency. And he isn't offering a lot of cash in his contracts he is trying to find bang for the buck players.

Yes at this point I don't expect them to win the cup but I know at their top potential they can beat any team if they play and adapt to their style.

Fail PP is not helping the Canucks.

This team will fall out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the West with a loss tonight.

By next Thursday the Nucks could be sucking middle of the pack.

Win tonight or momentum and placement blows big time.

Fail PP is not helping the Canucks.

This team will fall out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the West with a loss tonight.

By next Thursday the Nucks could be sucking middle of the pack.

Win tonight or momentum and placement blows big time.

You were on for a minute left a post and now your off, so clearly you haven't read this thread. If you did you'd realize how out of context your statement is.

Its less about Luongo I know if he played for Boston he would win the vezina every year no doubt. Its about they way our defense plays(we don't need new defensemen just need to play differently). This team if playing right has the potential to do great things and beat any team in the playoffs(even with bad reffing).

I agree. They still seem to get confused sometimes between playing smart defensively and aggressive offensively. And our forwards sometimes forget how to play smart defensively when they need to (like we saw in the LA game.) We know the can do it because we've seen them do it. It just hasn't become consistent enough YET. (EDIT to add: Hamhuis is a perfect example. Some games he's making awesome play after awesome play and other games he's practically getting assists for the other team. He's a good Dman. He just needs a little more consistency and hopefully that will come with more time under Torts' new system.)

Still, a little more fine tuning and time with Torts' new system and I absolutely believe this team has a good chance at making a bona fide Cup run!

You were on for a minute left a post and now your off, so clearly you haven't read this thread. If you did you'd realize how out of context your statement is.

I read your opinions.

You read mine.

The Canucks are a middle of the road team and their PP is at the bottom of the league.

Just as important is points they have missed out on right now they have 12 points, while I expected them to miss out on 14 points over the first 20 games. (Currently 18 playing their 19 game tonight)

We can now see the system used soon they well not think about the system they well simply play.

They are tougher to play against, though they need to hit more often with, the intent of winning those types of battles.

As long as their feet are moving while attacking the puck once they lose it, the other stats well begin to improve as those more important stats improve they well not lose as many points as they have over the first 20 games.

Even if they do not win each game they have to make other teams pay for any points they give up.

I expect the Canucks to give up less points from this time until the end of the season. They. Well need like 94 points to make it into the plays this year as their division and conference are the toughest league wide.

They need to be at least top five in those categories to be considered a real threat, it is amazing and hard to believe but the team need every single point they can grab.

Archived