The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruised and Humbled

Van40

3 out of 8 points is okay. Not great but considering the talent we faced atleast we got some. It's early in the season but it did show some things about the team.

1. We miss hansen. His tenacity and forecheck is second to none. The guy gives us a competent 3rd line and he's just really really fast.

2. Missing piece's. Like I said its early and with booth(he is depth at very min), hansen, and js out one can't really get a proper read on this team but its becoming increasingly evident what a top 9 center could do for this team.

3.Star players need to play better. This means the Sedins, Kes, Eddy and Hamhuis. You can argue about some others but as these 4 guys go our team goes. I mean the sedins are the heart and soul of this team and all, but against teams like San Jose, LA, and the ducks are when they NEED to produce. It's a must.

It's 1 road trip I know that and it wasn't terrible but this was a measuring stick and we came up a little short. As the title suggest our egos (players and fans) was bruised and canucks nation may have been humbled after being on such a high before.

This is my opinion. You guy's have yours so let's hear them. What did you make our little road trip? How's the outlook going forward.

Our TOP 6 goes ghost against big teams.

Like others mentioned we need a big skilled forward, a centre would be nice or even a Wayne Simmonds please.

Yeah we need a guy who doesn't require the sedins or anyone else spoon feeding him goals.

To convince another team to trade us a decent fwd(eg:Simmonds, or Dubinsky) WHILST takin on our contract-dog, it would probably cost an addtional two decent pieces. EG:Schroeder & Gaunce; or 1 of them, and a 1st rounder. A deal like this could end up resembling the Ballard-fiasco, so it's dangerous..Probably best to hold tight; or deal a D, should a nice offer arise.

Well we beat the Sharks but we just couldn't seem to beat two hot goalies simple as that IMHO

Can the Sedin's do better yes

Could the D have been better at times yes

but neither are the reason we lost.

On the plus side we got lots of secondary scoring

and Luo and Lack played good

Wow, someone who doesn't do a knee jerk reaction after losing a couple games against really good teams?! Say it ain't so...

After 20 games, it's easy to see we have a good team that compete's really hard almost every night. Our only real issue is that we don't have a true game breaker.

If we can find a way to get a true sniper or game breaking forward to slot in on the second line, we will have a great team.

The Canucks get a ton of shots, and have good possession numbers on most occasions, but on nights like tonight, and yesterday vs LA, we just need someone to capitalize on those opportunities more often.

I know we find ourselves against hot goalies, but honestly, that's when we need to show we can win. That's what we will be up against in the playoffs, and we need practise finding ways to win those games.

It's almost impossible to find someone like that in the market, and the cost would be too high for most.

I think our best option is to wait until the end of the season, when Shinkaruk is done his season, and see if he's the guy to come in and be that game breaking forward.

If not it's going to cost us a pick, prospect and player to get someone like Moulson (who in my mind is not really a game breaker, but might be the only highend guy available).

Wow, someone who doesn't do a knee jerk reaction after losing a couple games against really good teams?! Say it ain't so...

Ive noticed a ton of negativity on the forum the last few days I cant imagine what the forum would be like if we lost to Buffalo. I imagine it something like this :frantic:

I had hoped for a .500 road trip. On the bright side, the play of Eddie Lack and the fact we have a few guys out of the lineup makes me want to wait until the mid-point of the season to evaluate the team.

Exactly my thoughts!!

We have shown that we're capable of being able to outshoot and out-puck-possess good teams but have ran into hot goalies yet haven't been able to cash in on some of those gimmie goal scoring opportunities.

This road trip was a really good test to see where this hockey team is at, and if there is something we have been able to show, it is that we are capable of beating some of the 'powerhouses' in our division. Higgins' game winning shoot out attempt hit the post, we could have easily taken two goal leads in last night's and tonight's game, and of course, we beat the Sharks in a very convincing win which leaves me a satisfied fan with this road trip coming to a close. Honestly.

I agree with many of you in the manner that we (might) need to find a player who is able to convert on more of the given scoring chances that we posses, but I honestly believe that the smartest move would be to wait till Hansen comes back so he can immediately slot into that 3RW position we know he can play and help allow our scoring forwards to take a rest, and though many if you disagree, I still believe in Schroeder. When he hasn't been riddled with the fluke injuries he's been receiving, he's been able two show that he is a very speedy, tenacious two-way forward with awesome playmaking abilities and the knack to finish on plays. My point is that we already know that we have a team that is perfectly capable of competing with top teams in our divisions, as we have exemplified on this road trip showing that we have been able to take over the game and generate lots of shots and provide a strong forecheck, so we should wait for players like Schroeder and (god bless) a healthy booth to slot into our 2nd/3rd line spots to show what we actually have in a healthy lineup, and then we can make further judgement on what we need until after we actually see what we actually got.

There's just too much at stake to pull the trigger without really knowing what we actually got. That's why I'm glad we don't have a GM like Holmgren. The guy gets extremely desperate and look what happens! **** right? We have players who still deserve the opportynity to show they can prove their worth but have unluckily been able to do so due to injury. For example, nobody on this board would have guessed that Santioreli would be capable of being a consistent top-9 presence which he certainly has, and nobody would have guessed that Welsh would be playing like a consistent 4th liner. These guys have had the opportunities, thus they've been able to perform. There's a reason we still have Schroeder in our system... Management knows exactly what he's capable of, and they will wait till he becomes healthy and see what the kid can do.

We need to wait it out. No point risking future peices to jump the gun and acquire a pricey veteran regretting it in the end, much like what happened with the useless Roy Baby. This could give us more time as well to see Shinkaruk's progress in the juniors, and maybe he might be the guy that management decides to insert into our top-6 if he looks ready.

We have shown a lot more so far this season than a lot of you are giving them credit for. The part that makes me the most giddy is that we've shown that we're capable of keeping up with the elite teams (PIT, SJ, LA, ANA), though you can't win them all. I mean come on, we're allowed to lose to elite teams. Is this new to you all? Relax.

I think we need another big top 6 winger with experience, if we want to compete in the playoffs.

I think we should stand pat and get a better draft pick and just wait for Horvat to come up.

I think the Sedins and Kes need to learn to produce consistently against the bigger tougher teams. They can rack up all the points they want vs average to sub par teams but they need to put up multiple points against the tough teams.

This has been the issue in the playoffs, raising their game when the team 'needs' a goal. This was what Bure was about, heck even Linden found a way....if they are real superstars they need to be the difference makers, and being a difference maker means when you're down one on the road and need a goal.

Event Torts said it, they need to learn to be that difference..

Exactly my thoughts!!

We have shown that we're capable of being able to outshoot and out-puck-possess good teams but have ran into hot goalies yet haven't been able to cash in on some of those gimmie goal scoring opportunities.

This road trip was a really good test to see where this hockey team is at, and if there is something we have been able to show, it is that we are capable of beating some of the 'powerhouses' in our division. Higgins' game winning shoot out attempt hit the post, we could have easily taken two goal leads in last night's and tonight's game, and of course, we beat the Sharks in a very convincing win which leaves me a satisfied fan with this road trip coming to a close. Honestly.

I agree with many of you in the manner that we (might) need to find a player who is able to convert on more of the given scoring chances that we posses, but I honestly believe that the smartest move would be to wait till Hansen comes back so he can immediately slot into that 3RW position we know he can play and help allow our scoring forwards to take a rest, and though many if you disagree, I still believe in Schroeder. When he hasn't been riddled with the fluke injuries he's been receiving, he's been able two show that he is a very speedy, tenacious two-way forward with awesome playmaking abilities and the knack to finish on plays. My point is that we already know that we have a team that is perfectly capable of competing with top teams in our divisions, as we have exemplified on this road trip showing that we have been able to take over the game and generate lots of shots and provide a strong forecheck, so we should wait for players like Schroeder and (god bless) a healthy booth to slot into our 2nd/3rd line spots to show what we actually have in a healthy lineup, and then we can make further judgement on what we need until after we actually see what we actually got.

There's just too much at stake to pull the trigger without really knowing what we actually got. That's why I'm glad we don't have a GM like Holmgren. The guy gets extremely desperate and look what happens! **** right? We have players who still deserve the opportynity to show they can prove their worth but have unluckily been able to do so due to injury. For example, nobody on this board would have guessed that Santioreli would be capable of being a consistent top-9 presence which he certainly has, and nobody would have guessed that Welsh would be playing like a consistent 4th liner. These guys have had the opportunities, thus they've been able to perform. There's a reason we still have Schroeder in our system... Management knows exactly what he's capable of, and they will wait till he becomes healthy and see what the kid can do.

We need to wait

schroeds will also be helpful on the pp.

if he and hansen come back, and booth can contribute it will make a HUGE difference. while anaheim was lacking getzlaf, we have been winning with arguably a hole of 3 top 9 players, its not that bad.

the sedin's may be getting tired and perhaps this is a good lesson for torts too....

boys will be fine but i do agree with many here and torts, the sedins need to be better in these kinds of games, where one goal is the difference, they are paid to be the difference makers.

they are great players but the knock has always been the ability to get that goal, vs the big tough teams, its still there, work in progress but they need to find it. perhaps get kassian on that line again or even try archie!

I had hoped for a .500 road trip. On the bright side, the play of Eddie Lack and the fact we have a few guys out of the lineup makes me want to wait until the mid-point of the season to evaluate the team.

Eddie is going to be one hell of a goalie...lucky to have that depth with Schnieds gone...

Fatigue. Forcing players to play. Players can only play so much, Torts need to use some other weapons, spread the scoring don't stack one line and once they get shutdown have no one else able to score, injuries also.

Well we beat the Sharks but we just couldn't seem to beat two hot goalies simple as that IMHO

Can the Sedin's do better yes

Could the D have been better at times yes

but neither are the reason we lost.

On the plus side we got lots of secondary scoring

and Luo and Lack played good

I'd say its a damn good reason we lost if the Sedins aren't producing and the D suck. We got lucky in SJ with secondary scoring. Even though it's a long season. Our top guys can't have back to back to back bad games.

Kesler and the twins have gone dry - that experiment should be dead. Torts needs to try something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (the twins are still producing chances, Daniel's looking better and Kassian is red-hot and finally has his game up to scratch after coming back from suspension)

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins (Burrows as the playmaker, Kesler as the shooter and Higgins as the net presence or vice versa for the latter two, this line has a lot of potential)

Sestito - Santorelli - Richardson

Archibald - Dalpe - Welsh/whoever

Kesler and the twins have gone dry - that experiment should be dead. Torts needs to try something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (the twins are still producing chances, Daniel's looking better and Kassian is red-hot and finally has his game up to scratch after coming back from suspension)

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins (Burrows as the playmaker, Kesler as the shooter and Higgins as the net presence or vice versa for the latter two, this line has a lot of potential)

Sestito - Santorelli - Richardson

Archibald - Dalpe - Welsh/whoever

And we can always try splitting the Sedins again as another possibility.

When you are a team capable of competing with the elite like we are, when certain things aren't working against those teams, there is no harm in trying something different.

Torts originally liked the idea of Kes playing with Burrows, but they never had (+needed) the opportunity of playing together cause Kesler had been so hot with the Sedins at the time Burrows came back. Putting the two together is definitely not out of the question!

Archived