The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder,, what is all the hype?

ShakyWalton

I write this only because I constantly see posts about him as the 2-3 C on this team,,and I feel he hasnt earned any of it.

This board is alive with Kassian hate but yet jordan schroeder is always pencilled in as a top 6-9 forward.,..I dont get it?

Granted he had a wonderful junior career with various teams and the USA juniors,,,but he has played a grand total of 34 NHL games with 3 goals and 9 assists.

He is perpetually injured and yet...always thought of as a lock on this team..I just dont get it..he is small and brittle,,,but Im not hating here,,just let me know why?

Because he has shown signs of great vision and passing skills. He was penciled in as a 2 line RW for Kesler so he can set up Kesler. Very good playmaker, he has great vision of all sides of the ice, good puck handler. He plays the fundamentals well and his defensive game is coming along.

Maybe not a 2nd line player but atleast the 3rd line center, he needs it to grow and I think earned it. The speed line (Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen) was pretty successful and I think Schroeder was the heart of it with his quick long stretch passes for the 2 speedsters.

Because he has shown signs of great vision and passing skills. He was penciled in as a 2 line RW for Kesler so he can set up Kesler. Very good playmaker, he has great vision of all sides of the ice, good puck handler. He plays the fundamentals well and his defensive game is coming along.

Maybe not a 2nd line player but atleast the 3rd line center, he needs it to grow and I think earned it. The speed line (Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen) was pretty successful and I think Schroeder was the heart of it with his quick long stretch passes for the 2 speedsters.

Sounds good but Im just not seeing it at all...I could be wrong...but just not seeing it.

I don't think there's any hype with him. In fact it seems like most people on here have written him off.

Why I'm excited to see him play a top 6 role is because we don't have anyone on this team with his mix of speed and vision on the ice. The guy makes his linemates better, which is what this team could use right now.

And as far as being brittle, he took a slapshot off the foot. How is that being brittle? Something tells me if he was 6'2" no one would be calling him brittle. Unfortunately with him it's always about size, even when it's not.

I don't think there's any hype with him. In fact it seems like most people on here have written him off.

Why I'm excited to see him play a top 6 role is because we don't have anyone on this team with his mix of speed and vision on the ice. The guy makes his linemates better, which is what this team could use right now.

And as far as being brittle, he took a slapshot off the foot. How is that being brittle? Something tells me if he was 6'2" no one would be calling him brittle. Unfortunately with him it's always about size, even when it's not.

okay,, true,, but he took another shot off his foot as well and was out and didnt he miss most of last year with some sort of shoulder separation,,,as I said, Im not hating here but Im not loving either and I dont see the wondrous attributes that some here say he has.

He is fast and is deceptive for sure,, just hasnt translated on the NHL ice or in my eyes yet.

Sounds good but Im just not seeing it at all...I could be wrong...but just not seeing it.

If you had watched him play for the Wolves or the Moose you would know the kind of potential he has. He has the ability to be a game changer when he's on.

Right now he's figuring out how to be successful at the next level like every young player. Again, it's about patience (something Canucks fans need alot more of).

Hopefully he can hit the ground running when he gets back from his injury.

I like Schroeder and I think the hype is due to the fact that if he was a little bigger in his draft year he would've been a top 10-12 pick, like Shinkaruk this year. He also has the potential to be a top six playmaking center who has great hands and vision as others have said.

Yeah it was a limited time for the Canucks but in the Moose and Comets like DeNiro said he was really good.

He was always the director of the play when he had the puck. He made plays.

If you had watched him play for the Wolves or the Moose you would know the kind of potential he has. He has the ability to be a game changer when he's on.

Right now he's figuring out how to be successful at the next level like every young player. Again, it's about patience (something Canucks fans need alot more of).

Hopefully he can hit the ground running when he gets back from his injury.

well, that would be a good thing,,I hope the best for him and that he stays healthy so we can all see what he brings.

okay,, true,, but he took another shot off his foot as well and was out and didnt he miss most of last year with some sort of shoulder separation,,,as I said, Im not hating here but Im not loving either and I dont see the wondrous attributes that some here say he has.

He is fast and is deceptive for sure,, just hasnt translated on the NHL ice or in my eyes yet.

He didn't miss any of last year. Played through a shoulder injury and had surgery over the summer.

He didn't miss any of last year. Played through a shoulder injury and had surgery over the summer.

okay, you may be right,,but didnt play much with the Canucks for sure.

sorry,, just checked, he played 34 games with us last year???? damn...I dont remember hardly any of them.

I checked out his point totals from the Wolves/Moose and they aren't very good. I don't get the hype. Have't seen him do much with the Canucks at all. People act like he is a lock but in my mind he still has a lot to prove, cause he honestly has proven pretty much of anything yet, at the NHL level. I really hope he is successful in his career and I get to see all these things that some of the other people on this board see in him.

Exactly, 12 points in 34 games with crappy ass players on his wing lol.

Give him some good team-mates and you're looking at a guy who can put up 40 points at least over 80 games.

He put up 9 points and I think he mostly played with Booth, Higgins and Hansen, so his linemates weren't bad at all really. He played a lot on the second PP too.

9 points in 34 games equates to a 22-point rookie season. Is that really so bad? Considering how many games he spent playing with 4th liners?

He only played a few games with Raymond and Hansen, and had quite rapid production on that line. AV was stupid and split that up.

I'm starting to feel like most people don't really remember much about how Schroeder played last year because it was overshadowed by the drama. He was not very good on the 4th line, but that makes complete sense. He played extremely well on the speed line. I feel like he was the reason it gelled. Ramond and Hansen never really gelled without Schroeder.

Schroeder's injuries are not an indication of being brittle or small. I don't remember what separated his soldier, but a person's height has little effect on that. Pound for pound, he is incredibly strong, which is what you want from a small player. His foot injuries (which are both the same foot, one after another, for the same reason) are even less of an indication of being brittle. That is a misconception.

It really sucks that the guy has been set back like this, because he absolutely has second line potential. However, I feel like he wont see that potential on a contending team because he needs to develop on a second line. That can only really happen on teams that are rebuilding, or weak at center.

Archived