The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Bring back Sami Salo

I'd love to bring back Salo even though he is 39 years old now but I think he would still be effective for us in the playoffs.

He's in his final year of his contract with a 3.75M cap hit.

Salo is a very reliable defensemen in the defensive zone, can also contribute on the PP with his big shot, and he makes our defense more stable in my opinion.

I think if we can bring back Salo and have him for the playoff run and maybe sign him to a one-year extension for next season, it would be great.

If we could bring back Salo, I think we could possibly look at shipping out Edler or Bieksa in a possible package and acquire another top-six forward (preferably a play-making center) for the 2nd line.

Our defensive lines could look something like this in the playoffs if Bieksa were to be traded:

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Salo

Stanton - Tanev

On the power-play, Garrison and Salo could be paired together and you would have 2 big shots from the left and right side which could be very deadly.

Possible Top PP Unit:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Salo - Garrison

I believe that this will be beneficial to us in the long-run as well because we have Frank Corrado waiting in the wings and eventually if we were to put him in our top-six, we would most likely have to trade one of our defensemens who are making 4.5M+ a year in order to re-sign Tanev and keep Corrado. Acquiring Salo and moving one of them out now would be good because Salo probably has another season or two left in him and by the time Salo retires, Corrado will most certainly be ready to be a full-time player in our top-six and Tanev would be ready to step into our top-four.

Thoughts? And what do you think the cost would be to acquire Salo?

I'd love to bring back Salo even though he is 39 years old now but I think he would still be effective for us in the playoffs.

Salo is a very reliable defensemen in the defensive zone, can also contribute on the PP with his big shot, and he makes our defense more stable in my opinion.

I think if we can bring back Salo and have him for the playoff run and maybe sign him to a one-year extension for next season, it would be great.

If we could bring back Salo, I think we could possibly look at shipping out Edler or Bieksa in a possible package and acquire another top-six forward (preferably a play-making center) for the 2nd line.

Our defensive lines could look something like this in the playoffs if Bieksa were to be traded:

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Salo

Stanton - Tanev

On the power-play, Garrison and Salo could be paired together and you would have 2 big shots from the left and right side which could be very deadly.

Possible Top PP Unit:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Salo - Garrison

I believe that this will be beneficial to us in the long-run as well because we have Frank Corrado waiting in the wings and eventually if we were to put him in our top-six, we would most likely have to trade one of our defensemens who are making 4.5M+ a year in order to re-sign Tanev and keep Corrado. Acquiring Salo and moving one of them out now would be good because Salo probably has another season or two left in him and by the time Salo retires, Corrado will most certainly be ready to be a full-time player in our top-six and Tanev would be ready to step into our top-four.

Salo was great while he was here, but that ship may have sailed.

He was injured today in a game against the Bruins. Not sure how long he's out for.

Salo's frailness is a serious issue too.

Bieksa is having a really good year and finding a completeness to his game.

Edler is adjusting well to the system but the truth of that will reveal itself around the January Olympic break.

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Salo

Stanton - Tanev

Possible Top PP Unit:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Salo - Garrison

He was injured in today's game :lol:

Our D is doing fine. Not worth getting rid of anyone for a 39 year old Salo who is close to retirement. Rather keep 32 year old Bieksa who is very solid this year and has atleast 2-5 good years while Salo has 1-2 years left.

Archived