The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Smid : "Oilers aren't done dealing"

Ladislav Smid was the second Oiler traded this season, but he doubts he'll be the last.

"They're going to start dealing guys," Smid told Sportsnet's Mark Spector on Tuesday. "Mac [GM Craig MacTavish] is not afraid to move guys, for sure.

"He wants to succeed. He doesn't want to wait."

Trading Smid to inter-provincial rival Calgary underscores MacTavish's aggressive approach.

The 27-year-old blueliner wasn't viewed as a prime candidate to be dealt, especially since he signed a four-year, $14 million extension with the Oilers seven months ago. Smid planned to be with the Oilers for a while, even building a new house in Edmonton — but when MacTavish took over GM duties from Steve Tambellini (the guy that signed Smid), all bets were off.

Now it seems they're really off.

Trade rumors have swirled around the Edmonton organization for almost the entire season. Jordan Eberle was linked to Philadelphia and Nail Yakupov's name has been tossed around incessantly, so much so that all parties involved were in shoot-down mode on Tuesday.

Yakupov said "I love this city and I want to play for this team," while MacTavish accused ESPN's Craig Custance — who on Monday reported Yakupov's agent, Igor Larionov, was headed to Edmonton to discuss his client's role on the team — of "manufacturing" a story.

Of course, it could be argued MacTavish also played a role in said manufacturing.

He promised "bold things" and to be a "man of action" upon taking the Oilers gig and, to be frank, flipping Smid and Mike Brown isn't exactly rocketing off the boldness chart. (MacTavish did make several moves in the offseason, but that was before the Oilers went 4-13-2 to start the year. The time for boldness has arrived again.)

As such, it's unsurprising to hear Smid talk of an Oilers team that's ready to keep dealing.

Better quoting job:

CALGARY — Ladislav Smid had this warning for the boys back on his old team, the Edmonton Oilers, if things don’t turn around pretty soon in Edmonton. “They’re going to start dealing guys,” says Smid, a seven-year Oiler who was traded on Friday to Calgary, where he’ll debut tonight for the Flames. “Mac (GM Craig MacTavish) is not afraid to move guys, for sure. He wants to succeed. He doesn’t want to wait. I think there’s been too much waiting, too much waiting. He’s not going to (mess) around.”

Smid and his wife Ashley—an Edmonton girl—had only this past summer moved into the house they had built in the Alberta capital. Now it’ll be on the market, and she’s already buying Flames doggy sweaters for their pooch, Jasmine. “Funny, eh?” laughs Smid.

The 27-year-old Czech, was a core piece on Edmonton’s blueline, having come from Anaheim in the Chris Pronger trade back in 2006. Seven seasons and five coaches later the Oilers are still mired in the basement, and the Flames are already ahead in the standings. He can’t pinpoint what’s gone wrong in Oil Country. “I have no clue, no clue. I think they would like to know too,” says Smid, who was traded from Anaheim by then-GM Brian Burke, and now acquired by a Calgary team that calls Burke its president of hockey operations. “It was a search for identity in Edmonton. What the face of the team is going to be? Everyone was talking about how skilled we are … but when Dallas (Eakins) came his biggest thing was to give us a different identity. Work hard, and the skill will come with that.

“The system was fine,” he continued. “We had five different coaches over the past five years, but that’s not the biggest problem. I don’t know if it’s the chemistry, the personnel, how the team is built? With that team, there is no reason they should be last. No reason. It’s not much fun when you lose every night, coming back to the room and trying to keep it positive. We somehow, kind of did keep it positive, but it was such a grind.”

The Oilers will welcome goalie Ilya Bryzgalov into their dressing room soon, and Smid was asked if that will help matters. “I’ve never met him. I’ve just seen his interviews. He’s hilarious,” he laughed. “I wish them all the best. I had seven great years there. I don’t regret it.”

Smid basically said the Oilers don't have a clue, they don't have a direction, any loyalty, nor consistency, and he didn't shed any tears about being traded to Calgary... Calgary...

More moves will be on the way because multiple players have asked to be traded, imho.

Edmonton has been on a perpetual rebuild phase for a quarter century now and it doesn't look like it's gonna end anytime soon.

Better quoting job:

Smid basically said the Oilers don't have a clue, they don't have a direction, any loyalty, nor consistency, and he didn't shed any tears about being traded to Calgary... Calgary...

More moves will be on the way because multiple players have asked to be traded, imho.

Edmonton has been on a perpetual rebuild phase for a quarter century now and it doesn't look like it's gonna end anytime soon.

Thanks, just did it up on my phone, I'll fix mine up

why on earth would they trade their best player hall lol..

Their best player? I'd say that honor belongs to Eberle. And why not? Especially if they're wanting to bring in a talented D or a center. They have talented wingers there already, they have talent up front, but it seems to be mostly on the wings. A top flight NHL center with a two way game could do wonders for the Oilers. You have to give something to get something, you can't just dump your scraps and hope for something good, and if you're not weighing more than one trade option as a GM you're not doing your job. You could also factor in Yak's lack of production, and while that can be summed up as a sophomore slump it does leave the Oilers in a position of weakness.

I'd give whatever it took if Edmonton put Hall on the block.

Edler+Gaunce+Jensen+Corrado+1st+2nd. It might even take more.

For Hall? What? For someone in Stamkos/Suter/Weber territory I could understand, but Hall? The twins are on the downside of their careers, and most of our players are either prime aged or just past it.. we're going to need that injection of youth soon. You're giving up a top 2/3 Dman on most teams, two early round picks, and three promising prospects.. for one player. We could get someone better with that package.

For Hall? What? For someone in Stamkos/Suter/Weber territory I could understand, but Hall? The twins are on the downside of their careers, and most of our players are either prime aged or just past it.. we're going to need that injection of youth soon. You're giving up a top 2/3 Dman on most teams, two early round picks, and three promising prospects.. for one player. We could get someone better with that package.

Also have to include how hall is injured half of every season.

Also have to include how hall is injured half of every season.

His durability is questionable, yes. But that package.. man, we could get something way better than Hall for that.

I don't see the need to make drastic changes to this team at the moment, we could use a boost on the second line and maybe a better piece or two on the fourth.. but with the age of the current group and the prospects we're going to need room for, we're not in a bad spot at all. Our bottom six is pretty solid when healthy and our top six could use an upgrade sure, but if we can clear Booth's salary we'd be in good position to go hunting for a new piece. A second liner wouldn't require a package like that, or anything near it.

We could get Weber himself...

I'd give whatever it took if Edmonton put Hall on the block.

Edler+Gaunce+Jensen+Corrado+1st+2nd. It might even take more.

Wouldn't have a problem with that, though would like to try and keep Corrado if Edler is going.

People saying we could get more for it, name a single ******** player, please.

Archived