The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal [VAN-MTL]

Simple proposal.

To VAN: David Desharnais

To MTL: David Booth

Why for MTL: Booth in MTL puts some size into their forward depths and gives them more options without sacrificing too much in the speed department. He only has 2 years left on this contract so if he does not perform they can buy him out to give room for Subban's monster contract coming up.

Why for VAN: Desharnais is undersized but playing alongside Kesler and Burrows/Kassian and that is hardly an issue. He will get a lot more room out there playing with those bigger players allowing him to rediscover his game. He is signed long term to a reasonable number. Finally allows MG to off Booth's contract.

Thoughts?

Not terrible. Desharnais is in the doghouse in Montreal and will be a healthy scratch for a second time this season. A change of venue would likely do him good. That said, I think his value is still Higher than Booths , who's track record over the past few seasons is abysmal.

Not terrible. Desharnais is in the doghouse in Montreal and will be a healthy scratch for a second time this season. A change of venue would likely do him good. That said, I think his value is still Higher than Booths , who's track record over the past few seasons is abysmal.

Well, except if Desharnais doesn't pan out, were stuck with his cap hit of $3.5M for two years extra over Booth's. More costly to buyout if it comes to that and taking Booth back would put Montreal right up against the cap so I'm not sure they'd be interested.

Considering Booth does other things well away from the puck, I'm not sure I'd trade our underperforming player for Montreal's when Desharnais is 5'7" with one point and 3 hits in 17 games.

Another Booth proposal, he has no value and I doubt any player has worse value. 2 years 4 mil, no one wants that.

Desharnais has no value either, this trade makes sense but I doubt it happens.

God this is horrible.

No it isn't. Both are overpaid, and they need a change of scenery. I'd rather keep Booth since it is a cheaper buyout.

Another Booth proposal, he has no value and I doubt any player has worse value. 2 years 4 mil, no one wants that.

You, and frankly a lot of people's logic on CDC concerning Booth is so tremendously flawed it's getting to the point where it's not even funny to laugh at anymore. How can you say someone who has proven they have the ability to score 20+ goals a season, a fast skater, big body, great underlying numbers, someone who has all these attributes has "no value". Yes, lately he's been injury prone, and he's not earning his contract, but that's because he hasn't played a full season since 2010-2011. David Booth is a player who has proven that if he plays a full season he's good for 20+ goals and 40-60 points. This isn't NHL 14, this is real life where every player has a different value to each team depending on their need for that type of player.

You can say he's not earning his contract, but that's because he hasn't been playing, and when he does, he gets thrown into the thick of it. You can't just come back from an injury and play like you never got injured, these things take time. You can say his salary is bad, but for what he's capable of, it's actually a fair deal. Don't believe me? Voracek is a player everyone on CDC loves and would love to trade for. He makes the same as Booth and has only had one 20 goal season playing with CLAUDE GIROUX. Ok, he is 4 years younger but at that age Booth was putting up 31 goals. In no way am I saying that Booth is better then Voracek I'm just trying to prove that if Booth plays a full season, he'd be earning his contract.

Please stop with this delusion that Booth has no value. He has value, it's just very low right now, but value lowers with risk and this is the same with any player. We got him below value because he was coming off a concussion. I wouldn't do that trade because Booth has MORE value than Desharnais.

I like the idea of upgrading the second line center spot by trading Booth for a struggling 2C, but Desharnais isn't the guy since won't survive against the bigger guys in our division, whereas Booth can at least offer more push-back.

Desharnais has been far more durable than Booth. I would not necessarily play him at 2C. I was thinking more 2RW/LW alongside Kesler. I would predict a more offensively talented player in Desharnais would make Kesler look and play even better.Both players have been put down lately by their respective teams but I think the vote of confidence given to Desharnais by MTL would mean we would have to sweeten the deal to make it work. Maybe a mid level prospect or a 3rd.

Archived