The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Internet Plans..

nux4lyfe

Could anyone recommend any decent internet plans? Getting sick of paying Shaw 50$ plus tax every month just for internet, If there's any other companies besides Shaw and Telus out there with good rates, please lemme know, Thanks.

It's a good price for what you get. Trust me, I just moved from Montreal and it was $65/month for Bell, the download speed was atrocious and I only got 65gb/month. Now in Victoria I have Shaw for $50/month, twice as fast download speed and twice as many gb/month.

However, I agree that the big telecoms are price gouging us. If politicians really wanted to help the middle class they would regulate the industry and make it affordable so that we have a larger disposable income to start pumping back into the economy in more diverse ways, rather than to three major corporations. I know the CPC is making it seem like they are in favour of doing that this new term (as per the speech from the throne), but common, that goes against all their conservative values and it's obvious they are pandering for votes after this Senate Scandal.

Sorry for the mini rant, but politics is important :)

How long have you been with shaw? If you are with them long enough, you can threaten them to cancel or switch the company unless they give you a better deal. That's how I got my Internet for 40 something bucks a month with 16 something speed thing

I am using shaw tho, and its Internet speed is kinda meh to be honest with a lot of spikes lately. I heard shaw is better

Yes, Internet price and cellphone price in Canada is crazy... Thx for the monopoly shaw and telus have.

If you download a lot of data, go with teksavvy. They have 25Mbit for $40/month. They lease the lines from Shaw, so it's essentially the same network. The $40 plan is technically 300GB/month, but they don't have the ability to monitor bandwidth for cable connections, so it's essentially unlimited. The real unlimited package is $45/month, but you might as well get the cheaper one since they're both the same at this point.

It's a good price for what you get. Trust me, I just moved from Montreal and it was $65/month for Bell, the download speed was atrocious and I only got 65gb/month. Now in Victoria I have Shaw for $50/month, twice as fast download speed and twice as many gb/month.

However, I agree that the big telecoms are price gouging us. If politicians really wanted to help the middle class they would regulate the industry and make it affordable so that we have a larger disposable income to start pumping back into the economy in more diverse ways, rather than to three major corporations. I know the CPC is making it seem like they are in favour of doing that this new term (as per the speech from the throne), but common, that goes against all their conservative values and it's obvious they are pandering for votes after this Senate Scandal.

Sorry for the mini rant, but politics is important :)

You do realize that Shaw and Telus employ nearly 40,000 Canadians combined.

That's quite a few jobs and local income going straight back into the economy.

Shaw only employs Canadians for everything including their call centres.

Not sure about Telus but I know Shaw is investing 5 Billion dollars to upgrade and maintain their network over the next few years.

Combine that with the Network fees paid to the content providers and the price makes sense.

I'm not unhappy paying 5 dollars a day for something that I use constantly (I have tv internet and phone).

I don't know why people feel it is unreasonable to pay that much for all the value you get.

Access to nearly endless programming and some of the fastest access to the Internet in North America. 24/7 tech support and free service calls from a Canadian company.

You get what you pay for and you're supporting the local economy.

In the end a business needs to make money or else there's no reason to provide you Internet service.

Shaw only employs Canadians for everything including their call centres.

Is this an up to date fact?

I've had a lot of issues with Shaw for the first time in my life recently, and literally every single time I required help or was called about promotions I spoke to someone with an extremely thick accent. Maybe it's just a coincidence and I'm racist, but it seems to me like they have outsourced something.

As a side note, two people who I spoke to on the phone gave me a "student rate" expiration date, and when I went into the Shaw center like they told me to do to extend my contract, the people at the store told me I was too late. I even played them a message from their own company saying what dates I have available to extend my plan. Despite the mix-up being on THEIR end, they still refused to give me the same plan I was on, until I kicked up a fuss then they gave me some other plan--which still isn't as good.

My family has used Shaw for as long as I can remember, but the customer service (for me) has been utterly repulsive in the last year. If this is what "Canadian Customer Service" is, then I would rather speak to some outsourced workers, so long as their information is correct and aligns with the rest of the company.

Archived