The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Union Pushes to Keep AirCare Program

DonLever

The B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union wants to breathe new life into the AirCare vehicle inspection program.

On Thursday, representatives will ask the Metro Vancouver Regional District to support their campaign to continue the tailpipe emissions testing, which is slated to be phased out by the end of 2014.

About 110 union jobs are on the line, but BCGEU president Darryl Walker said that’s not the only reason they want to see the program extended.

Related Stories

Photos

image.jpg

A car is tested through B.C.'s AirCare emissions program. Nov. 12, 2013. (CTV)

“We think AirCare is an important program to maintain in British Columbia and, frankly, to build upon,” Walker told CTV News.

“There’s still a large concern about the number of vehicles that don’t necessarily pass. About 10 to 12 per cent every year fail.”

Walker also believes more attention needs to be paid to heavy-duty trucks that travel throughout B.C.

Premier Christy Clark, whose government opted to end testing of light cars and trucks last year, told reporters Tuesday the issue is closed.

“We’ve made our decision,” Clark said.

An AirCare results report credited the program for reducing total light-duty vehicle emissions 6.9 per cent in 2011 and 6.4 per cent in 2012 by forcing repairs.

It also reports those same emissions have decreased from 149,300 tonnes in 1992 to 18,500 tonnes in 2012, but said new vehicle technology is responsible for about two-thirds of the drop.

Cars built in 1992 and beyond must be tested by AirCare every two years for a $45 fee, while older vehicles must be tested every year for $23.

B.C. has promised the two-year fee will be reduced in 2014 to make it fair for drivers needing an inspection in the final year of the program.

With a report from CTV British Columbia’s Maria Weisgarber

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca...0#ixzz2kWPPqTCy

Of course they do. It's their jobs. If emissions rise substantially in the future they can always put it back. In the meantime simply go back to issuing repair orders to obviously smoking vehicles.

Reminds me of the noisy vehicle thread. We already have laws in place for this sort of thing...

Good, I agree. Just saw a guy at an intersection yesterday. Red light, we're all waiting and when the lights turned green, he accelerates and this huge puff of black smoke just covers up the intersection....

And yet he must have had to pass AirCare at some point. See the irony?

So many people just lease thier cars so if there ever was a problem they'll just take it back to the dealership. I've never failed a aircare test in my two vehicles(87 Blazer, 04 Ram)but I still had to pay hundreds to have them tested. Its the buses and semi trucks that need to be tested twice a year, not Joe Schmoo in his leased out '10 Civic.

Archived