The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Talking to Multiple Teams - NYR, MTL, CAR - [Eklund]

Drouin

' The Canucks are now not only talking to the Rangers but you can add the Habs and the Hurricanes to that group. There are some players the Canucks are definitely targeting in their attempt to get faster and a bit younger. '

More to come.

Story

Jason Botchford of The Province suggests that, in keeping with John Tortorella's "win now" philosophy, Vancouver should be looking to make a deal as soon as possible.

With an eye towards shoring up the forward ranks, Botch offers three suggestions: Steve Ott of Buffalo, Wayne Simmonds of Philadelphia and Marcel Goc of Florida.

All three play for struggling Eastern Conference teams that need to make changes, so their teams could be willing to play ball—though it's hard to know who'd sign off on a deal in Buffalo without a general manager in place.

More importantly, cap space makes it virtually impossible for the Canucks to deal. Capgeek estimates that Vancouver has just $600,000 in wiggle-room, so the Canucks would have to give up at least one real roster player to bring in any of these guys. The only guy on the team without a no-trade who makes more than $1.5 million is the un-tradable David Booth.

Alex Edler is a popular trade target here on the comment boards, but the guy is averaging 24:29 of ice time a game—the most of any Canucks' defenseman. Do you really want to give those minutes to Yannick Weber or Andrew Alberts?

I like Torts' urgency a lot—Vancouver doesn't have games to waste this season. But I can't see how Mike Gillis is going to find help up front, unless divine intervention finally struck David Booth during his conditioning stint in Utica.

What do you think? Is there a way to work a trade for one of these guys and if so, who would you like to see come Vancouver's way?

Story

May not be the most credible source, but who do you think we would possibly be 'targeting'?

Edler's minutes wouldn't go to guys like Alberts or Weber, they would just be distributed more evenly among the other D-men. We could even call up Corrado if he looks ready now.

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Still a solid top 4, and a bottom pair that can play good minutes. If we can get a proven top 6 player like Kane I would be all over it.

But if it's a smaller trade, then guys like Ruutu or Brassard would be good additions.

Hope so. The Canes are looking for a top 4 puck mover apparently. I would think that would be Edler.

Canes don't need a puck mover, but Edler isn't a true puck mover. Edler would replace Pitkanen, which would be fine. They have Murphy and Faulk who are doing a fine job at moving the puck.

Do you guys really think carolina is going to want edler after he hurt staal with his knee in the world championship?

If we could somehow get Kane without losing horvat gaunce or shinkaruk I'd be ok with it.

I doubt that Staal has a grudge. It is what it is. Edler waiving his NTC is a bigger problem.

Canes don't need a puck mover, but Edler isn't a true puck mover. Edler would replace Pitkanen, which would be fine. They have Murphy and Faulk who are doing a fine job at moving the puck.

That goes against what all of Carolina's fan base is saying. Why would they be interested in Liles if they didn't need a puck mover?

Archived