Canucks Community

[Proposal] Getting a "top 6" player.

shiznak

To Minnesota:

David Booth

Yannick Weber

To Vancouver:

Dany Heatley

Why would Vancouver make this deal? Even though Heatley has become a shell of his former self, he was a 2x 50 goals scorer, so we know he has the ability to pot in goals. On a team that is lacking goal scoring, put him on a line with the Sedins, and let's see if he can regain his scoring touch or if Torts can rejuvenate his career. If not, his contract ends at the of the year and we can let him walk, rather than keeping Booth for another year. That's the important part.

Why would Minnesota make this deal? They get rid of that massive contract, plain and simple. Booth would replace Heatley on their 3rd line, while being paid a lot less and could be move up and down the lineup if need be.

lineup:

D. Sedin - H.Sedin - Heatley

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Santorelli - Kassian

Welsh - Richardson - Sestito

Dalpe

No? Heatly has sucked ever since he left Ottawa? Why would we want him?

Two years removed from a 26 goals season on a Minnesota team that sat dead last in goals for.

Like I said in the OP, this isn't a long term plan. If all else fails we can let Heatly walk, instead of keeping Booth.

lineup:

D. Sedin - H.Sedin - Heatley

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Santorelli - Kassian

Welsh - Richardson - Sestito

Dalpe

Forgot Weise, Schroeder. Also Minnesota wouldn't want Booth for 4.2 next year since they might go after Vanek or someone better than Booth in the offseason.

Lol no. Heatly 7.5 mill? No ty booth has more value than heatly.... and that is sad.

Heatley has more value. His contract is more friendly than Booth's because this is his final year. If Booth has another terrible season the team that owns him is stuck with him another season for a pretty decent cap blow. Where as with Heatley if he does not work out he can be released freeing up cap to spend on other players and even if he does work out he could be resigned for cheaper than his previous 7.5 million. In addition that figure won't be entirely relevant to the team that trades for him as the Wild will still cover the cap for the games he played in their uniform so his cap hit will be lower.

In addition Heatley is a safer bet. While he has played poorly this season in his entire 11 year career this is his first and only season where his goal pace is under 20 goals. (Last season he was on pace for 25 goals in an 82 season with 48 points and Booth has only topped those numbers once in his career)

If anything if I were the Wild I wouldn't make this deal because it just prolongs a bad contract into next season. I would much rather keep Heatley and get 7.5 million in free cap space at the seasons end or move Heatley a blue collar prospect or mid to later draft pick.

Heatley's attitude is part of the issue, as is the disparity in the cap we move out versus what we get back. Minny would have to retain a good portion of Heatley's contract for this to even work under the salary cap.

We would be over cap

We would be tight against the cap, but Heatley's contract would be able to fit under the cap.

We would be tight against the cap, but Heatley's contract would be able to fit under the cap.

Care to explain how? We send out $4.9M in cap but take back $7.5M. I'm not sure how we fit in the $2.6M extra coming back to us when we only have $663K in caps space currently.

Care to explain how? We send out $4.9M in cap but take back $7.5M. I'm not sure how we fit in the $2.6M extra coming back to us when we only have $663K in caps space currently.

We have 2.8m, with LTIR.

Once Hansen and Schroeder come back. We send down both Schroeder and Weise, to make room for Hansen.

Archived