The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here are the facts:

nitwitt

The Canucks like I predicted last year are in serious trouble of missing the playoffs this year. I like the new pressure system that Tort's runs, however, the fact is the team is missing at least one top 6 foward. The bottom 6 is very competitve with the rest of the division. Here are the facts:

Every team ahead of us in our conference except St. Louis has second line scoring, in fact the average second line total points produced is 38.83 pts in 19 games and the Canucks second line is at 29 pts in 20 games(I combined Burrows and Kassian's points due to injury). The Blues have 3 defenceman that have picked up point production to compensate for the lack of secondary scoring.

This issue will not go away until M.G. swings a deal for that bonafide top 6 forward as the Canucks do not this year have that top 6 forward in the system.

If Gillis can land 1 of;Simmonds, E.Kane, Moulson, Skinner,Johansen,Callahan for Edler +, then he should pull the trigger. Otherwise, Burrows+ Edler for 2 top 6 forwards becomes plan B. Both players I think are tremendous but in order to get something you have to give something. Although I think we got killed in the COHO deal, Kassian could become a very good third line winger and Santorelli was an amazing pick up and with Hansen coming back this could be a rather formidable 3rd line. This might help allieviate pressure from the second line but to really compete in this division or to even make the playoffs that second line needs to make up 10 pts every 20 games in a hurry. These are the facts.

I agree that if they are willing to accept that a trade is needed, it's going to be with a player that people don't want to see go like Burrows. As much as Edler gets mentioned a lot in trades, I suspect you're right in that they will need to package him with someone else.

So the OP is saying we lack second line scoring then goes on to suggest we trade away Burrows, our one decent second line player witha great cap hit. Also I don't understand why Torts gets a free pass for the Canucks struggles, but in a sesaon where the Canucks won their division for the 3rd or 4th time in a row everyone hated AV. In the words of Apu, thank you come again.

So the OP is saying we lack second line scoring then goes on to suggest we trade away Burrows, our one decent second line player witha great cap hit. Also I don't understand why Torts gets a free pass for the Canucks struggles, but in a sesaon where the Canucks won their division for the 3rd or 4th time in a row everyone hated AV. In the words of Apu, thank you come again.

Burrows at 4.5....yeah not nearly enough production. Yet.

Now that is brutal... We trade Burrows with Edler to get 2, I repeat 2 top 6 forwards. Simple math buddy. Great cap hit if gets back to 70 points...lol. Canucks won their division...omg, what other team in that division had a .500 record over that period of time.

Of course we kept winning the division...Our team was 10x better than every other team in our division. Torts isn't getting a "free pass", he is just getting recognized as a good coach. AV was incompetent.

We might need another top-6 forward, but as mentioned earlier - the team has played 20 games. In which they have won 11, lost 7 and 2 overtime losses. 13 out of the 20 games the team has played, has been on the road.

We are currently sitting at 4th place in what is perhaps the toughest division in the league. There is still 62 games to be played. So there is no need to push the panic button, or conclude that the team will miss the playoffs.

Have some faith. GCG!

do you really think teams like

Calgary

Edmonton

Dallas

Winnipeg

Nashville

are going to really compete for a playoff spot i don't so that's 5 teams out of 14 teams that are almost guaranteed no playoffs leaving 9 spots for

St.Louis

Chicago

Vancouver

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Colorado

San Jose

Phoenix

the 1 fact you only need to realize is that after the 6 teams that make the playoffs from the Divisions if the Canucks aren't in that group they only need to be 1 of 2 teams with the next highest points winning the Division or even being top 3 in it isn't as big of deal as people like to think it is

Archived