The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Best Crossover Vehicle

Lui's Knob

With a surge in automobile companies making crossovers or smaller sized CUV's in the market; what is the best CUV money can buy? Recommended drive/reliable/best bang for buck?

Here's a list of the usual suspects:

Ford Escape

Mitsubishi RVR

Mazda CX-5

Toyota RAV4

Honda CRV

BMW X1/X3

Mercedes GLK250

Hyundai Santa Fe

Subaru Forrester

VW Tiguan

Nissan Rogue

Discuss.

CX5 for styling, handling and fuel efficiency. It's a bit weak on power but if they bring the diesel here..

(Edit: just noticed it received a nearly 30HP bump this year which changes things a lot)

Tiguan for style (in and out), power ...probably best overall IMO but also expensive (and also no diesel option here).

CRV/RAV4 are utilitarian appliances. Good at everything, great at nothing. Are you a soccer mom?

BMW/Merc...don't really offer anything substantial over the Tiguan IMO. If the emblem is important to you...

Forester, quirky but capable.

Escape is very nice, good styling but heavy and expensive.

Santa Fe (or Tucson for that matter) is a more stylish value version of the RAV4/CRV IMO.

Mitsu is an also-ran IMO

If it was my money it would probably be between the Mazda and VW.

My wife and I plan on buying a Santa Fe sometime soon, the 2.0L Turbo. Drove it, loved it. I would see no reason to purchase the Tucson instead.

My wife and I are deciding between the Santa Fe with the 3rd row, or the Mazda CX9 (again, with the 3rd row). we need lots of seats for family/kids.

Quite a price range on vehicles in your list. My Dad has a 2012 2wd Ford Escape. He traded in a 2008 Escape for it. He has no real need for a CUV as its just him,mom and the dogs now but he likes it. Like all Fords it seems, if you go light on the options the price can be at the very low end of the scale. Do you really need the titanium edition with specially knitted piping on the seats?

Also my brother has a newish Toyota Rav4. Ive never driven it but Ive ridden in it a few times. I like that they are made in Woodstock Ontario. Good for the economy.

My wife and I are deciding between the Santa Fe with the 3rd row, or the Mazda CX9 (again, with the 3rd row). we need lots of seats for family/kids.

Both are very nice, tough choice. I believe Hyundai are using high strength steel in the frame, might check to see what Mazda is using.

Which one has the best ratio of storage area to gas mileage? With a kid on the way my wife and I will soon be looking for a car that can fit all our camping gear, plus our dog and growing family but I'm someone very concerned with the environment and obviously want to save on gas.

I friend of mine was here from Trail a while back and they had purchased the new Santa Fe, but not the turbo. The numbers he was giving me on fuel economy was better than our 2011 Malibu. Not that the Malibu gets good milage, although it's not terrible, but was still surprised the SUV was getting better fuel ecomony.

Definitely go with the Escape ecoboost. Uses DI and twin scroll turbocharger. If youre gearing towards performance/ fuel economy, definetly shell out the extra dough for the 2.0.

I believe the Santa Fe uses a very similar drivetrain. In my opinion though the Ford is more sexy.

If you need a 4X4 crew cab V8 pickup to prove you are a man you arent one. If you already have 3 kids and can provide for them you dont need to prove anything to anyone and should own a minivan.

yeah, unless you are in the construction business, you don't need a truck.

Definitely go with the Escape ecoboost. Uses DI and twin scroll turbocharger. If youre gearing towards performance/ fuel economy, definetly shell out the extra dough for the 2.0.

I believe the Santa Fe uses a very similar drivetrain. In my opinion though the Ford is more sexy.

The Ford will handle better, it is more sporty, but the Santa Fe has more comfort. I prefer the Santa Fe, which still has tight steering and loads of power, and a little more HP I believe.

I drive a 2012 Nissan Rogue and I've had no major issues with it.

Handling is great, fuel efficient, quite roomy, has an iPod dock, sun roof, and I have the AWD edition.

Just in the past few weeks I've had issues with the rear window wiper motor but other than that, basically excellent.

Oh and the spare tire is actually a full replacement instead of a generic spare. I would know.. Got my tire slashed this past summer.

Archived