The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler needs to step up.

Bananas

What's the deal with Alex Edler? Cashed in on a big, cushy, NTC contract and doesn't care anymore? Or did he just have a lucky couple seasons where us rabid Canucks Fans thought we had a gem in the guy, and he's not as good as we all thought he was? Or are we going to pull the ol' "he must be playing injured" card out of the hat?

What *could* we have in Edler?

An offensive, physical, mobile defenseman. Maybe not the best QB because he isn't a good passer, but he's supposed to have good offensive instincts. And a booming shot. He's big, and we've seen him play physical. He *could* contain those bigger forwards we keep having problems with. And he's a good skater. Pretty mobile.

What so we *actually* have in Alex Edler?

An equivalent to Tanev, offensively, minus the good passing.

An equivalent to Hamhuis, physically. The potential is there, but it's not translating on ice. But... Hamhuis is good positionally, while Edler is not. And you would think Elder would mitigate that some with his mobility, right?

...except that he skates like Andrew Alberts.

What about his shot? Oh right, it's just like Garrison's. AWAL. But at least Garrison is better, defensively.

What the hell gives? Why is he so freakin' useless? ALL the tools are there for him to succeed, including the massive ice-time that gets piled on him.

The writing should have been on the wall with him last year, and now he has an NTC.

Flame away, CDC.

If the Canucks would have won you wouldn't have made this thread.

I've been verging on making this thread for weeks. I've been saying these things about Edler for month. I gotta say it some time. If We had just won, you would say "Shut up we won!"

So, unless you come up with content, you can stuff it.

edler has been pretty bad for sometime if anyone needs to get traded for a goal scorer I say edler goes and bring up frank corrado or tradee tanev canucks need a freaking scorer already seasons going to slip away soon

He has an NTC. He can't get traded. He needs to step up. Torts needs to drop his ice-time.

Tanev and Stanton are playing better than Edler in every situation. By the end of the year, Edler will be in Ballard's shoes unless he starts playing some hockey.

He has an NTC. He can't get traded. He needs to step up. Torts needs to drop his ice-time.

Tanev and Stanton are playing better than Edler in every situation. By the end of the year, Edler will be in Ballard's shoes unless he starts playing some hockey.

Actually he can get traded he just has to agree with it.

There's nothing to reply with man. This was a PGT post honestly.

He has a bad back, and won't be a physical force. I don't think he's picked up the free-wheeling idea that Tortorella is trying to place in. He is playing the most minutes of our guys, and he hasn't been making mistakes on a consistent basis, which is solid.

Meh. NTC, nothing to be discussed really.

tell him to waive it then

There's nothing to reply with man. This was a PGT post honestly.

He has a bad back, and won't be a physical force. I don't think he's picked up the free-wheeling idea that Tortorella is trying to place in. He is playing the most minutes of our guys, and he hasn't been making mistakes on a consistent basis, which is solid.

Meh. NTC, nothing to be discussed really.

So you're on the "he's playing injured" excuse? I call BS. And if that is somehow the case, then stick him on IR. I don't even care about the cap as much as I would honestly rather see Edler get benched and have Corrado play...

Edler is a complete pylon out there. If he's injured, get him healing. If he's just playing like a slug, start cutting his ice-time. Solution to both scenarios is to stop playing him.

I'd love him to waive his NTC. But that wont happen, and MG will never ask any of his 10 players with NTCs to waive them.

Archived