The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Hunter Shinkaruk, How He Nearly Missed Out On Being a Canuck

Alex the Great

Hunter Shinkaruk was in the house tonight at Rogers Arena.

Here’s the story of how he almost didn’t make it.

At the trade deadline, the Canucks were chasing Ryane Clowe. The New York Rangers ending up landing him even though, and this was reported at the time, the Canucks had offered the Sharks more.

With his NTC, Clowe had final say and chose NY for family reasons and probably also because he believed the Rangers were more likely to meet his demand as a pending UFA, which at the time was $34 million contract.

The Rangers got him for their second round pick in 2013 and Florida’s third, and a conditional pick that I think ended up being a 5th (don’t have time to look it up).

I always wondered what the Canucks offered which they thought was a better deal. Well, tonight I was told it was their first round draft pick, which does make sense (how else were you going to beat a package that was essentially two seconds?)

It was the pick the Canucks used to draft Shinkaruk.

Now, just imagine getting swept in the playoffs with that stiff Clowe and then imagine seeing Shinkaruk, or whomever San Jose picked in that deep, deep draft, sniping pucks four a games a season in three years.

- Botchford

Personally not Botch's biggest fan, but found thks story interesting.

Imagine that, we would've have Clowe instead of Shinkaruk... (shudders)

It's sad, but if it where anyone with credibility, i might actually believe it. Time after time, Botchford has proven that he has no sources. Everything he writes aren't confirmed by anyone, and sometimes get completely shut down by other more people that are a lot more credible. It's simple though. He's a hockey journalist. He doesn't have any inside sources. The Thornton incident just showed how little connections that Botchford had. He had none. Then he has to nerve to go against Lebrun, who is one of the best in the business and is actually good friends with Thornton. What a joke.

He says that the Rangers practically gave 2 2nd rounders. This is the biggest mistake in his story. There isn't a GM in the league that would take a 2nd, 3rd, and a 5th instead of a 1st round pick. What really happened, is that the Canucks probably offered Connauton and a 2nd, but Clowe choose to go to New York instead, so they put the same package together to get Roy.

Also, I hate these what if situations. They are always meaningless to begin with. Why not talk about that 2nd round pick we traded? When the Canucks traded their 1st for Ballard, no one would even gave a second look to Howden. The same thing would have happened with the pick used to get Shinkaruk. We don't know how the prospects will turn out yet. They always look promising the year they get drafted.

That is why I am usually against first round picks unless the player coming back is a near lock to be a bonifide stud. ex) Evander Kane, or brayden Schenn etc. There is too much potential for a first round pick. I don't think you should take the risk on a first round player that can seriously turn out to be a really good player. Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk or even Schroeder, could still turn out to be a stud in the lineup. too risky.

The Rangers got him for their second round pick in 2013 and Florida's third, and a conditional pick that I think ended up being a 5th (don't have time to look it up).

Really Botch? You don't have time to make sure this hack article you submitted just before your deadline isn't 100% accurate?

I would rather read an Eklund rumor than Botch's speculation. At least Eklund is mildly entertaining.

Now, just imagine getting swept in the playoffs with that stiff Clowe and then imagine seeing Shinkaruk, or whomever San Jose picked in that deep, deep draft, sniping pucks four a games a season in three years.

- Botchford

Is this a direct quote from Botch's article? If so a big :picard: to anyone who would pay this hack to write.

Wow. I was never a Clowe fan so this was a good read. Personally, I believe Shinkaruk will be better than Horvat (nothing against Horvat). Shinkaruk shouldn't of fallen to us, and he's ready to show the league that next year. Would much rather have a Shinkaruk then another washed up vet.

Also, LMAO at Clowe "Rangers had a better chance meeting his demands". It's funny because its 100% true. Players know Sather is not scared to throw a huge contract down the throats of good (not great) players, and they also know MG's policy about discounts. MG may be stubborn in ways, but thankfully he's smart enough to not sign a 2nd liner to a $34M contract.

Weird it was the poor Devils that gave him that contract in the end.

Personally, I believe Shinkaruk will be better than Horvat (nothing against Horvat). Shinkaruk shouldn't of fallen to us, and he's ready to show the league that next year. Would much rather have a Shinkaruk then another washed up vet.

Well in terms of offensive production, I too think Shinkaruk will thrive in that area in comparison to Horvat; in terms of all around play...... probably Horvat because that's what we got him for.

Archived